Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television DeadWood

Innit. Have you seen generation kill? Agree about carnivale. Thats the shiz.

Yeah I see another thread, but just a quick final note.
It'll take something special to knock this show off the top of my all time list, and I can't see it happening.

it's a good show, but it's nowhere near my favourite. much of the time i had no idea what they were talking about. since it was mentioned in this thread, i found rome far more enjoyable.

I will have to check "Rome" out then, I've been avoiding it but have heard good things so will give it a shot.
Thanks.

the dramatic structure of rome is amazing, especially considering it is fairly historically accurate. every episode wow'd me in terms of drama and production.

Rome is to Spartacus as Deadwood is to Hell on Wheels

^Absolutely. I've never been so crestfallen over the premature ending of a television series. Major Dad had it coming to him, courtesy of Bullock and Al.
I know that's not the way it happened in real life, etc. It just had to happen in the show. Something had to happen. Sucked they just let it die on the vine.

Regarding the dialogue... That was always the complaint I seemed to hear when people I had recommended the show to said they didn't like it.
I always felt like it was just a matter of getting acclimated to it. I'd encourage anyone who gave it up because they found it hard to follow to go back to the beginning.

It was, IMO, without a doubt, one of the best shows ever.

Oh I enjoyed the dialogue, despite not understanding much of it. Excellent show, just not the best. IMO.

Fair enough. :D.
I always found it interesting that the endless profanity was authentic to the period/location.
It sounds exhausting.

I just finished the first season of "Deadwood" and it must have the finest writing of any television show I’ve ever seen. The series portrays the South Dakotan town of the pioneer days the way I imagine it really was, blowing off the antiseptic conceits of traditional Westerns for an atmosphere of existential dread more in league with under appreciated films like "The Wild Bunch" than "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." I didn’t know where the different threads of the story were leading at first, but by the fifth episode it became clear they were weaving together a drama of great intricacy and ambition.

The deadly schemes the characters have afoot are brought to light by the highly figurative 19th century dialogue as carefully and secretly as an assassin’s steps through the dark. It can be difficult to follow the speech of the more sophisticated among them, and even the meaning of the illiterate drunks can be hard to cinch together when every three slurred words are separated by expletives, but the extra effort required of viewers is more than justified by the beautiful way this deliberate stylistic approach enriches the story’s subtext. (I’ve turned on subtitles to follow movies with heavy foreign accents before, and I imagine seeing what’s said in addition to hearing it might be helpful in a different but still practical way to anybody who finds themselves frustrated.)

It’s such a shame that the two movies that were being talked about to wrap up the story probably won’t be made. I’ve been told to expect to be disappointed by the way the third season leaves things, though with my expectations set as high as they have been by the brilliant first season it’s hard to imagine I wouldn't have been let down even if it had been properly finished. I think "Deadwood" aired too early to get the exposure that the greater ubiquity of mail delivery DVDs and online streaming has more recently granted subsequent shows, but it’s a truly great drama that shouldn't be overlooked by those now using these services to seek out the best television shows ever made.

Last edited:
I’ve been told to expect to be disappointed by the way the third season leaves things, though with my expectations set as high as they have been by the brilliant first season it’s hard to imagine I wouldn't have been let down even if it had been properly finished.

It depends on how you experience anticlimax. It worked really well for me because George Hearst was such a terrifying villain that I had forgotten he was a real person. I needed to be reminded it was real. Season 3 is so tense that it looks like fiction.

I think the Hearst family must be displeased with how their patriarch was portrayed. They must still be really powerful, and it'd be interesting to see if they had anything to do with the show's cancellation...