View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

De-fatting problem during DMT extraction

Crystaline

Greenlighter
I've done 2 teks so far, both failed. (Pic of the last one is attached. It looked like a slice of baloney, and felt like rubber. It was floating between the polar and nonpolar layer) My guess is, cause i used normal water. And in the 2nd extraction deionised water. Causing the ph in the polar solution to be off, therefore not taking the fats out. (I know... total noob haha)

After more research.. I should have used distilled water? (I make my own rum, so got a distill set)

I used the DMT extraction using lye (sodium hydroxide) and naphtha tek.

So yeah... i wasted about 2kg of Acasia Confusa root bark on these previous cooks, which isn't cheap. I read that some pull 9 grams from a kilo, so yeah.... ouch ;) I got a new batch on it's way, and not keen on making the same mistake again.

Thoughts? :)

360.jpg"

Last edited:
Never mind haha... my mate confirmed it, and we got it changed on the tek website. Funny how such a little bit of non-info can fuck up a medium amount of $ and months of hyperspace (rip lost grams) haha

I'm happy i shared this though, so hopefully a fellow psychonaut won't make this mistake.
360.jpg

I'm confused did you mess all that up from not using distilled water? That's the only thing highlighted.

I've extracted grams and grams of DMT and never used distilled water...but I also never used acacia confusa. Can you tell me more what the baloney is? I would think a mix of DMT and NMT.

It was pure fat, so the de-fat stage clearly went wrong. Yes, the DMT was likely trapped in this baloney, with no real way to get it out. Which makes me wonder... if done 'correct' where does all this fat go?

After mixing the vinegar with the normal water, the PH was off. So i added more vinegar to the same amount of water, which turned out to be a big no-no. There was absolutely no DMT in the Naptha after freezing it for 3 days.

I'll use mimosa hostilis next time.

It was pure fat, so the de-fat stage clearly went wrong. Yes, the DMT was likely trapped in this baloney, with no real way to get it out. Which makes me wonder... if done 'correct' where does all this fat go?

After mixing the vinegar with the normal water, the PH was off. So i added more vinegar to the same amount of water, which turned out to be a big no-no. There was absolutely no DMT in the Naptha after freezing it for 3 days.

I'll use mimosa hostilis next time.
It's normal for it to come out like this if you use stuff other than traditional M. Hostilis root bark. It doesnt look dry in the pic yet, I bet you it comes out like a putty once fully dried. Still pretty strong too.

It had nothing to do with using or not using distilled water.

There shouldn't be a big difference in regular water, distilled water or deionized water. Particularly the latter is similar to distilled in that it is more pure only it is made differently. The difference couldn't be so big IMO or you have really crazy tapwater.

When there is an emulsion in between your layers usually you want to add salt (probably in the form of brine: a saturated watery salt solution), I mean regular tablesalt - no distilled salt needed :p It can bind to some compounds to make changes to the polarity. And give groups something to bind to other than each other making a mess. Unless I'm mistaken you want to disrupt amphiphilic compounds too which otherwise mess around at the border between polar and non-polar layer. If that doesn't help, maybe try to heat up that part in your extraction funnel like with a heatgun or hairdryer (be careful with fumes), that can resolve stuff too - plus a good dose of patience and repeated tries at pulling stuff from it (either polar or non-polar washing), plus depending on what you do extra pulls to get product out of washes.

Salt will be in your product if you don't go through a proper non-polar stage to get rid of it.

Gunk and discoloration can involve tannates and these may also react / change under the unfluence of pH changes just like you free DMT from its tannin form. So keep an eye on that pH and make sure you change it sufficiently at the right times.

Letting that gunk dry seems one of the worst things you could do as it takes you much further from proper dissolution of its parts into the proper phases and instead gunks it into itself creating more stable bonds.

I see that you used a STB type method which is probably one of the main culprits here as it skips the acidification step which can be a better preparation to separate gunk I think. Maybe if you can cook up that gunk in an acidic pot and start over you have a shot but IDK if it will dissolve and break up...

lol please don't post screenshots but links.

Last edited:
That looks very wrong as far as "defatting" is concerned. Looks like there was other organic matter with it. Even AC root-bark doesn't contain THAT much fat. Ordinarily, when stirring your solution, waiting to de-fat, you can usually use skim or suck the floating fat off the top of the mixture. It is usually floating, very obviously, on top as the solution settles and the fat separates (after a long stir), in kind of fat, small bubbles, and again, separates completely from the naptha that has all your DMT in it. Once you have your DMT-rich solvent, you put it in pyrex baking dishes, put saran on top, and pop it in the freezer over night. If all is well, you'll see all the crystallized DMT in the pyrex dishes the next day, then drain off the solvent, usually to be used again as it will have some DMT in it as well. That's why when you use the same solvent over and over again, you start to notice the crystals getting bigger and bigger. But without getting into all the details, defatting AC based mixtures isn't that hard. Some people use a crock pot to do it, but it is not necessary. Some people make the extraction process more difficult than necessary, but if you have the right TEK, it really is not that hard. Just time consuming and something you need to follow, step by step, precisely. But yeah...there used to be a guy on YT who had a TEK for AC extraction that was from start to finish, and worked perfectly. Of course, it was removed from YT after a day or two. But I have an audio recording of it for good measure somewhere. This is a dude who knew the process like a boss, and had the balls to post that video which, again, was spot on.

Well nowhere in the OP, nor in those screenshots posted, did you mention how long you let it sit in the Water+NaOH+Root bark stage.. you must let it sit for a while, frequently stirring and even perhaps letting it sit overnight before stirring slowly again and then letting it settle. Perhaps you may have to let it settle for longer, and make sure that no emulsions form (or fix them, in the way described above). It also may have to do with the fact that when adding NaOH to room temp. water, in the amounts necessary for this extraction, basically warms the water up. So if you used water of standard room temp or higher, and didn't let it cool down before diligently stirring and adding the root bark, this could contribute to the fatty compounds which presumably remain in the extraction.

Not sure about teks but maybe this helps:
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/FAQ#The_layers_wont_separate.2C_what_to_do.3F

@ there not being that much fat in the A. Confusa: maybe it wasn't filtered / strained well enough? Doing a workup on this may require that you do a better filtration later on after you actually got some proper separation and a phase to filtrate.

I guess you can just return that stuff to an extraction funnel, add plenty of solvent and also enough water and start trying to separate the emulsion using the tips and tricks. by the way IIRC never really shake a funnel but swirl it. Hopefully you won't have to go through an entire A/B tek but perhaps that is a possible last resort. Either way, turn that putty into a much bigger volume again so that it actually has a possibility to separate... It might require a lot of patience after or in between those tricks like adding salt / brine or warming up.

Enough people over at the DMT Nexus probably had this problem... I wouldn't go to the DMT Nexus for just any question just like the Shroomery is 'specialized' in particular ways but they are really useful in those specializations.

I do see that your tek is A/B though, it starts with vinegar... IDK if you can redissolve that baloney okay but looking for purification and recrystallization teks may also be fine. You completed that whole tek right?

Last edited:
Question or I want to use my naphtha how to I de-fat it? Can I just warm it an place it in the freezer without doing another pull? I do Gordos TEK and I had Crystals-in my namptha. How do get them out lol