• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Day 1 of Hell

I think my heroin detox went so fast because I was in a really good place then. I was really really ready to quit then. Now, I dont feel that way.
Make a list on why you need to quit, why your addiction is bad for your health and happiness. Be honest in it. Try to look into yourself and find out why You are using. When you find the route of the problem then try to get help with it and work on those issues to prevent a relapse.

You’ll get through this, you have many good reasons to quit, one being your children but ultimately you need to do this for yourself.

This may go against the grain but I find physical labor very helpful when WDing from opiates: The more laborious the better. Lots of water and sweat. If I can push myself off the couch and get outdoors it makes it easier each day. Seems to shorten the duration of WDs, IME.
Wishing you well in the endeavors set forth and hope one heals from within.
Ptah

This! Nothing stimulates endorphin production more than physical activity. Admittedly, this is extremely hard when you're in the grip of withdrawal, but if you can access some comfort meds to take the edge off, then pushing yourself to get moving is the best thing you can do. There's nothing worse than lying in bed wallowing in self pity to destroy your resolve and facilitate a relapse...

God, you guys. I dont know if I can exercise. I can barely get out of bed right now and that's WITH having a small amount of opiates in my system. I doubt very seriously that I can get moving when I'm in full blown withdrawal.

I do not see how it is possible to detox while taking care of two hyperactive kids. I imagine you don’t have time for the things people are suggesting - exercise and Netflix and laying in bed andthe rest. is there any way to postpone this detox until you can get childcare And/or make a detox plan?

When I was clean for 2 years, I had really bad PAWS and I managed with Kratom and it helped A LOT with the cravings so I'm thinking of going back to that. My mother is helping me with the kids right now.

i will say that having to do a fast taper, like you are with the small amount of opiates from your mum, can do wonders in terms of making it less brutal.

honestly if you can't exercise don't worry about it, i've never been able to do anything but the absolute bare minimum for at least the first few days.

i would also advise not to build it up into more than it is. the pain is bad enough, but the dread just adds another layer, and given you're not jumping straight off, it may well be less bad than you expect. try to approach it with a sense of acceptance rather than letting it become this monster.

please please get some psychological help, you obviously know that kicking the physical habit is not the same as kicking the addiction. if you're only stopping now because you got caught, then you need help quickly to identify what opiates are doing for you and how you can meet that need in another way, and reframe using so that it becomes less attractive to you.

yep knowing it will end is certainly a massive help! its really good that you already have some techniques to try out.

though at times stuff like that would just piss me off cos it was taking away an excuse to use. which was the exact point but when cravings are intense its just horrible sometimes to have to try all these mind tricks and they all chip away at the reasons you're telling yourself to try and get away with it, without making you want to use less. sometimes it really is just white knuckling it, but i guess therapy helps minimise the times when its like that.

What doesnt make sense? I'm talking about my state of mind which I think is a big part of it. I have 2 children actually. It was for them last time that I quit and went through detox. I wanna think I'm doing it for them again.

It's OK if you don't know you want to be sober. It's OK to feel unmotivated, scared, angry, confused, self-hatred for putting yourself through this again.

As long as you do what you need to do to get through this withdrawal, it is OK to feel unsure about the future.

But at least do this thing, quit before you get back on Heroin and get a clear mind. Once you hit 10 days clean, 2 weeks, 1 month etc.

Once you get through the detox and if you find yourself still unhappy and unmotivated to remain Sober, I would suggest other routes such as Suboxone or Methadone.

I have tried to quit suboxone during this quarantine and I have been entirely unsuccessful. I have accepted the fact that methadone is my best route of action to succeed in this life without facing high risks of deep, spiraling relapses which put me into horrible places and conditions.

Back to this discombobulated... whatever you name it. Man, sekio provided you with the basic, I myself gave you some advices as how to make your detox easier. On the other hand, there are near-death home detox that happend in the past, not often but it happend --// that's why it's vital to talk to a doctor. Now with this whole Pretzel-19's breakout goin on, you may or may not be able to get your meds. Kratom and some ibudilast should be down the line. Loperamide will help with the diarrhea, ibuprofen. Also have some vitamins, fresh water. Avoid stressful environments.

And I'm just trying to figure out how to get in the state of mind where I'm totally willing to do this again.
Hi Jess!! If it helps, I'm on day 22 of tramadol withdrawal (and quit gabapentin a week before that). I've had a rough time but am doing much better. I was ready, then not ready, then ready again etc...but the pandemic sort of made it a "now or never" thing and I decided just to do it. I am now on the other side and am so thankful it worked out like it did. I wasn't working so I didn't have that to juggle. I got a prescription for clonidine (the blood pressure med) because the sweats drive me nuts and that helped tremendously. I also did high dose vitamin C. I still have some minor symptoms (sweats, chills, bouts of restlessness, fatigue) but am loving that I don't wake up in withdrawal everyday like I used to before my first dose and no longer have to worry about running out and all that stuff. It IS worth it...I BECAME more motivated to make it work after I got through the first few days and started to see light at the end of the tunnel. Now I'm mentally preparing for the PAWS part but I have a great support system to keep me focused and on track. I wish you all the best and remember YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Methadone therapy is definitely an option. Yes, it's arguably just substituting one opioid for another, but it provides a stable, consistent, safe dose for an overall cost much less than street dope.

And it can allow you to function normally every day. You can even slowly taper at a rate that seems ridiculously slow, but allows you to stay comfortable.

It's OK if you don't know you want to be sober. It's OK to feel unmotivated, scared, angry, confused, self-hatred for putting yourself through this again.

As long as you do what you need to do to get through this withdrawal, it is OK to feel unsure about the future.

But at least do this thing, quit before you get back on Heroin and get a clear mind. Once you hit 10 days clean, 2 weeks, 1 month etc.

Once you get through the detox and if you find yourself still unhappy and unmotivated to remain Sober, I would suggest other routes such as Suboxone or Methadone.

I have tried to quit suboxone during this quarantine and I have been entirely unsuccessful. I have accepted the fact that methadone is my best route of action to succeed in this life without facing high risks of deep, spiraling relapses which put me into horrible places and conditions.

Yeah I fully support maintenance meds but I dont have insurance so I dont think I'm gonna be able to do that. Once I get through acute withdrawal, I think I'm gonna use Kratom to maintain again because it worked pretty well and I had a good quality of life when I was using just that.

Hi Jess!! If it helps, I'm on day 22 of tramadol withdrawal (and quit gabapentin a week before that). I've had a rough time but am doing much better. I was ready, then not ready, then ready again etc...but the pandemic sort of made it a "now or never" thing and I decided just to do it. I am now on the other side and am so thankful it worked out like it did. I wasn't working so I didn't have that to juggle. I got a prescription for clonidine (the blood pressure med) because the sweats drive me nuts and that helped tremendously. I also did high dose vitamin C. I still have some minor symptoms (sweats, chills, bouts of restlessness, fatigue) but am loving that I don't wake up in withdrawal everyday like I used to before my first dose and no longer have to worry about running out and all that stuff. It IS worth it...I BECAME more motivated to make it work after I got through the first few days and started to see light at the end of the tunnel. Now I'm mentally preparing for the PAWS part but I have a great support system to keep me focused and on track. I wish you all the best and remember YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I'm glad you got through it. I know I've done it before but it's like I forget how every time.

This is really helping me though. Y'all keep talking to me. How about some more psychological tricks?

Hey guys. I'm doing opiate detox at home for the first time with help from my mother who is a nurse. Any help to get through it would be so greatly appreciated. The minutes are ticking by like hours.
You are strong! You are brave. You are worth happiness! You WILL get through this and when you do remember this pain so you don’t go back! I’m praying for you right now