Training Log Cycling Journal (Bicycle not steroids)

you’ve kept this up for a respectable amount of time. still at it?

Hey, currently trying to get it back. I quit for almost 2 months because I was drinking heavily. Today was good tho, my strength is coming back. It's just gonna take a while to get back to riding up mountains.

July 14

12.6 miles

July 15

12.6 miles again. Aiming for every day or maybe 2 days on one day off. Gotta get my cardio back up to speed.

Jully 17

12.6 miles

July 18

12.6 miles. Also messed around with some light dumbells. 3 sets of 3 of curls, tricep extensions and standing ohp.

July 22

7.6 miles hill climbing. Pleasantly surprised I could still do this route. I did miss the last hill but I'll add it back soon after I get some more endurance back.

July 23

12.6 miles.

Last edited:
July 26

12.6 miles.

July 28

12.6 miles.

July 31

August 5

12.6 miles. Something isn't adding up because I only went 2 days without biking but I don't feel like trying to figure it out. lol

August 7

12.6 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFC
@nuttynutskin :

Are you on a road or mountain bike? None of the pictures work.

I ride a Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 1 from 2017. It's got Fox Factory suspension (150mm 34 factory fork and DPS Factory shock providing 140mm of rear wheel travel), a full Shimano XT 1x11 drivetrain, Connect 150mm dropper post, and I upgraded the wheels to CrankBrothers Iodine 3 wheels and a Spank Spike vibrocore handlebar (trimmed to 770mm wide, 800mm is too wide for me) and Rev Grips. I had a Giant Glory for park riding and an occasional downhill race, but I sold that bike last fall.

I'm doing much shorter rides than last year. I ruptured a disk at c6-c7, tore my rotator cuff, broke my collarbone, and tore my trapezious after a catastrophic crash fucking up on the road gap on "Fade to Black" at Whistler and spent many months off of the bike. I came to the unfortunate conclusion that I'm just getting too old for downhill and double black diamond trails at bike parks...)I'm still not back to aggressive trail riding just yet, but at least I'm cleared to get back on the bike and start to regain my hard earned fitness.

Prior to that, I was racking up somewhere between 8k and 12k miles a year with a 50 mile usually twice a month and aimed to do a century at least every month or two. I use Strava to track my rides. I'm currently pedaling 20-25miles per session on a ride, generally taking 2-3 hours or so, but slower on days when the temperature is in the mid 90s to low 100s on a nearly daily basis and I'm focusing on extended climbing. I'm not cleared to get back to to the aggressive riding I love, but i can at least get out on fire roads and double track, some of which is extremely steep on the climbs and begin the process of regaining my hard earned endurance.

I never really enjoyed road biking, but I do occasionally ride long distances on pavement when the trails are unridable due to weather or trail closures to allow maintenance to be completed safely. Or to do extended rides to build up my aerobic fitness if my neck is especially sore. I like to do my base miles on the same bike I ride trails on. I'm thinking about starting a similar thread to track my recovery. I apologize in advance if I hijacked your thread, that was never my intent in posting this.

Any other serious mountain bikers on BL??

Last edited:
Reactions: CFC
@nuttynutskin :

Are you on a road or mountain bike? None of the pictures work.

I ride a Giant Trance Advanced 27.5 1 from 2017. It's got Fox Factory suspension (150mm 34 factory fork and DPS Factory shock providing 140mm of rear wheel travel), a full Shimano XT 1x11 drivetrain, Connect 150mm dropper post, and I upgraded the wheels to CrankBrothers Iodine 3 wheels and a Spank Spike vibrocore handlebar (trimmed to 770mm wide, 800mm is too wide for me) and Rev Grips. I had a Giant Glory for park riding and an occasional downhill race, but I sold that bike last fall.

I'm doing much shorter rides than last year. I ruptured a disk at c6-c7, tore my rotator cuff, broke my collarbone, and tore my trapezious after a catastrophic crash fucking up on the road gap on "Fade to Black" at Whistler and spent many months off of the bike. I came to the unfortunate conclusion that I'm just getting too old for downhill and double black diamond trails at bike parks...)I'm still not back to aggressive trail riding just yet, but at least I'm cleared to get back on the bike and start to regain my hard earned fitness.

Prior to that, I was racking up somewhere between 8k and 12k miles a year with a 50 mile usually twice a month and aimed to do a century at least every month or two. I use Strava to track my rides. I'm currently pedaling 20-25miles per session on a ride, generally taking 2-3 hours or so, but slower on days when the temperature is in the mid 90s to low 100s on a nearly daily basis and I'm focusing on extended climbing. I'm not cleared to get back to to the aggressive riding I love, but i can at least get out on fire roads and double track, some of which is extremely steep on the climbs and begin the process of regaining my hard earned endurance.

I never really enjoyed road biking, but I do occasionally ride long distances on pavement when the trails are unridable due to weather or trail closures to allow maintenance to be completed safely. Or to do extended rides to build up my aerobic fitness if my neck is especially sore. I like to do my base miles on the same bike I ride trails on. I'm thinking about starting a similar thread to track my recovery. I apologize in advance if I hijacked your thread, that was never my intent in posting this.

Any other serious mountain bikers on BL??

I'm on an old Rockhopper hardtail. Thx for the post, good luck recouping from your crash. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. You should start a journal here.

August 9

August 11

August 13

12.6... I should probably change things up a bit.

Keep us updated. I just got into cycling this summer, it’s definitely a great hobby (though not for the wallet lol). Swimming is just another nice low impact workout if you wanted to mix things up a lil

Keep us updated. I just got into cycling this summer, it’s definitely a great hobby (though not for the wallet lol). Swimming is just another nice low impact workout if you wanted to mix things up a lil

Yeah swimming is good exercise. Unfortunately it's been quite a while since I've done it. The neighborhood has a pool but it's been closed all summer due to covid. :\

You think cycling is expensive? I thought it's actually cheaper compared to a lot of other sports. I guess parts can be kind of expensive tho.

August 26

13 miles

August 28

12.6 miles

August 31

10.4 miles

August 2

12 miles. Technically it was at a little after midnight but I'm counting it as August 2nd. lol It was a full moon out, kind of cool.

August 4

15+ miles

August 6

15+ miles

Last edited:
Haven't biked in 4 days now because the air quality is "dangerous". I hope these fires die down soon.

Dang man sorry, that sucks ass. I suppose buying a cheap trainer on craigslist/facebook could provide something

Yeah today was day 7 of not going outside. Starting to get cabin fever. I wish I had an indoor trainer but I don't and I'm poor. Mostly I'm just ready for these fires to be over with.

Yeah today was day 7 of not going outside. Starting to get cabin fever. I wish I had an indoor trainer but I don't and I'm poor. Mostly I'm just ready for these fires to be over with.
I got the kind that you put your back wheel into for $25 on facebook marketplace. It's old but it still works great. Maybe searching around will bring some luck. But of course, the air clearing up would be best...

September 19

15 miles. FINALLY. Yesterday was the first day that the air quality was good enough to be exercising outdoors. But of course the reason was because it was raining. lol

Bike got stolen out of the garage. I think there's a special place in hell for someone that steals a poor person's transportation and only current means of exercise.