Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film "Cult Films" That Disappointed You?

chuddup cb, i aint thinking about shit, antichrist socks my rocks off.

i's a inter-lekchool. so says on me shirt.

Idk if this is a cult film, but it really disappointed me, it was called "The Room". People say its supposed to be so bad its funny, i didn't think it was funny.

Idk if this is a cult film, but it really disappointed me, it was called "The Room". People say its supposed to be so bad its funny, i didn't think it was funny.

Really? You didn't think "The Room" was funny? Man, watching that is like taking a masterclass on how NOT to make a movie.

"YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, LISA!!!"

I think people say it's so bad that it's funny because they don't understand what funny is. Funny is like lol. The Room is like, I want to meet the Director and chastise him until he kills himself just like his retarded character does in the movie. Oops, spoiler.

alright, tough crowd.

The room is fun to watch because it is just one big flaw after another. Timing, dialogue, green screen usage, character development, acting, plot, sub-plots, continuity, etc. If there are other things in a movie that are possible to fuck up that the room didn't, then I would seriously like to see them. To me, the tortuous, embarrassing production process that took place under the probably retarded Tommy Wiseau is not laugh worthy at all. It is cringe-worthy. It might be the only movie worthy of the title "cringe-worthy" because of the actual physical pain that can be felt upon its viewing. It is like witnessing a retarded person step into the limelight to claim his legitimacy as a person of competitive talent, only for it to be revealed that he will now be masturbating while eating a banana and smiling at a public park. I really don't think that's funny. I find it terribly sad, although I am still disgusted at Tommy Wiseau's apparent ignorance as to why his movie is popular and why people enjoy seeing him talk.

cb, you try to dispute that it's "so bad it's funny" by emphasising how bad it is... So yes, I agree, it's really funny.

Anything involving Zack Synder or Tarintino* is awful. I don't care what anybody says.

*I would say the opening scene in the farm house of Inglourious Bastereds is really great, but the movie falls apart completely after that. That shows that in fact Tarintino can be great, but he screws it up, just makes everything worse.

*I would say the opening scene in the farm house of Inglourious Bastereds is really great, but the movie falls apart completely after that. That shows that in fact Tarintino can be great, but he screws it up, just makes everything worse.
What about the ear-torture scene in Reservoir Dogs, or some of his famous long shots? You don't have to like his style in order to admit his quality as a director and screenwriter.

I think mentioning Zack Snyder and Quentin Tarantino in the same breath warrants ear torture.

What about the ear-torture scene in Reservoir Dogs, or some of his famous long shots? You don't have to like his style in order to admit his quality as a director and screenwriter.

Not a fan of the ear scene or his other habits or scenes people enjoy.

*cough*tony scott*/cough*
alright, tough crowd.

The room is fun to watch because it is just one big flaw after another. Timing, dialogue, green screen usage, character development, acting, plot, sub-plots, continuity, etc. If there are other things in a movie that are possible to fuck up that the room didn't, then I would seriously like to see them. To me, the tortuous, embarrassing production process that took place under the probably retarded Tommy Wiseau is not laugh worthy at all. It is cringe-worthy. It might be the only movie worthy of the title "cringe-worthy" because of the actual physical pain that can be felt upon its viewing. It is like witnessing a retarded person step into the limelight to claim his legitimacy as a person of competitive talent, only for it to be revealed that he will now be masturbating while eating a banana and smiling at a public park. I really don't think that's funny. I find it terribly sad, although I am still disgusted at Tommy Wiseau's apparent ignorance as to why his movie is popular and why people enjoy seeing him talk.

i haven't see the room, how does it compare to ed wood's ineptitude. i sincerely love ed's terribleness and this sentiment is unique to his work. is the room anything like glen or glenda?

^ Well, Quentin wrote True Romance, so he did have something to do with it.

I really don't see what fault you could find with Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction. I know some people aren't fans of the dialogue in Tarantino's movies ("derivative" is a word that gets thrown around), but I think it adds a style that is unique to the filmmaker, not to mention is a very clever way to ground the characters in reality, as well as expand upon their individual traits. His "long shots" are basically the epitome of cinematography (seriously, if you say the Jack Rabbit Slim's scene in PF is anything but amazing, I would have to question your knowledge about film making). Dusk Til Dawn, Inglorious Basterds, and (to a much lesser extent) Jackie Brown, I can understand not being blown away by, but Dogs and Fiction are both landmark pieces of cinema.

it's hard to say how much of true romance was qt's words. consider that natural born killers was based on the exact same story (a somewhat different part).i'd love to read the original words.

Well, screenwriting is not only about writing you own lines, it is also about choosing which lines (from an existing story) to incorporate in the script and which lines to discard.

BTW, there's also a theory that NBK was a script written by Clarence during their road trip. Placing NBK in an alternate reality relative to True Romance. Interesting shit, but thread hijack... 8)

*cough*tony scott*/cough*

i haven't see the room, how does it compare to ed wood's ineptitude. i sincerely love ed's terribleness and this sentiment is unique to his work. is the room anything like glen or glenda?

There are two different kinds of ineptitude here in this comparison. Glen or Glenda is rich with symbolism and Ed Wood is earnestly and incompetently putting it all out there for the audience. You get a sense, with Glen or Glenda, that there is a film-maker behind the camera who has a very detailed picture of what he wants to show - but in a fit of Aspergers-based psychosis he tries to push all the buttons all the time due to the fact that he is honestly unsure how much the audience needs to see to get the point. Watching it makes you want to say, "Okay, we fucking get it. You can stop now."

In The Room, you have an ineptitude based on the director's lack of vision whereas in Glen or Glenda Ed Wood has an over-abundance of it and can't stop spilling it everywhere.

Both directors lack an even basic understanding of audience psychology, but Tommy Wiseau's work shows that this misunderstanding of audience psychology has a rock solid foundation in true social retardation and (once again) probably actual general mental retardation. Upon deciding that he wanted to create a vanity piece for himself, Wiseau clearly immediately went into denial mode about his inability to form an idea about how and what human beings are and why their real-life qualities are important parts of designing characters. In Glen or Glenda, Ed Wood is painstakingly (emphasis on "pain") exhibiting many qualities of a conflicted and complex character that he actually understands in his own mind. Tommy Wiseau's characters in The Room are pretty average characters dealing with typical problems, but Wiseau has no idea - no vision - of who they are because he can not fathom even the most mundane human qualities.

That is the root of the problem in The Room. The rest of the problems, including the technical problems, stem from cast and crew members being completely demoralized by Tommy Wiseau's willful ignorance of... everything. Have you ever worked at a job where you know that you are being paid to do something, but you just fail to see the point and the boss just can't understand why you're not "smart enough" to do something like use the copy machine or order office supplies?

thanks cb. excellent write up. i really appreciate the time and effort involved.

cheers, man. :)