Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Crack pipe substitutes.

Sllip

Bluelighter
After the recent banning of crack pipes in Victoria the topic came up the other day what can we use to replace it?

My friend suggested the old tin foil approach, to which he got the half hour sermon as to why that was the stupid thing ever.

The most common thing I've head of is a light bulb, but I would have thought the thin glass would be too delicate.

The thing I was thinking of was a modified test tube. But this begs the question how do I put a hole in the test tube?

And strangely enough I want to build a crack pipe and I don't even smoke my meth!

dont use tin foil, it's meant to be very bad for you.

the best way would probably be to get a friend from nsw to send you one in the mail or order one online.

I'm sure if you asked nicely enough, a mate from NSW would post you one. (what are they? like about 8 bucks or so?)

This was found at a bong shop in Melbourne, and is one of those bong pieces you buy and construct your own. It is quite small, 11cm in length, and has a rounded bottom for good heat dispersion. The side hole can be covered and vapour inhaled through the top hole, and best of all it is thick glass. It is similar to a light bulb in functionality (catches all the vapour) and is safer, without the ghetto edge of actually using a light bulb.

I tried to make a bong out of a conical flask once, so I've got some experience in trying to knock a hole in glassware...

Before realising hardware shops sell drill bits specifically for drilling glass, I tried filling it with sand and tapping away at the area, and heating it up then pushing a piece of copper piping through. Heh, don't bother with either of those methods. In fact, learn from my mistakes and avoid them.

You'll need a masonry drill bit (tipped with tungsten carbide) or a diamond tipped one. They're not particularly expensive. You'll also need a drill press. You set it up so that it doesn't need holding in place (put the test tube in a vice for example). A slow but steady stream of water should be run over the area being drilled throughout the whole operation. You wind down the drill press to contact with the tube, then hang something with a little weight over the handle so that there's just a little pressure on it. Go away for 30 minutes (or watch it, you don't want to start going through the other side). The reason for the water and very little pressure is that you can't afford it to heat up very much, because glass doesn't conduct heat well at all; the area that is hot will expand, while the other side will stay the same size, and your tube will crack.

It's a lot of effort and you need access to a drill press... I'd recommend going with what CBM suggested, but if you want to do it, that's how.

you can use foil.i use it to smoke heroin.
what you have to do first is run a lighter all over the piece of foil to burn off all the chemical's they use in the manufacturing process.
then it's all good.

Before realising hardware shops sell drill bits specifically for drilling glass, I tried filling it with sand and tapping away at the area, and heating it up then pushing a piece of copper piping through. Heh, don't bother with either of those methods. In fact, learn from my mistakes and avoid them.

hee...hee. I've successfully drilled holes in bottles with a regular masonry bit...and lots of care %) Once upon a time, the old Galliano bong was a favorite. Success for a novice depended on whether the little man was on the bottle. His head was in about the right spot on the large bottle =D

~~~~~~~~~Method 1~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you need a glass pipe to smoke, then please don't use dodgy things like a light bulb, or foil for that matter.

Know what internal/external diameter you're after, then go to any scientific supplier - [read: no suspicion associated] and purchase a length of glass tubing. If you're really paranoid then ring a major supplier and use a credit card. Home brew shops may also have tubing. Make sure it's pyrex glass or similar (borosilicate) i.e. can be heated and cooled quickly without breaking.

All you then need is a good heat source ( air/propane, air/acetylene or oxy/ acetylene)

Any person in the immediate area must WEAR EYE PROTECTION and the glass craftsman should wear WELDER'S GLOVES,

Always be aware/ careful of HOT GLASS. It always seems to LOOK cooler than it actually is

Until the technique is learned, avoid possible burns by startiing with a tube a little over 1/2 meter in length. Heat one end in a gas flame, turning the tube (slowly) with your fingers. As the glass softens, it will seal the end. It may take a bit of practice, but it's simple enough to do. When cool enough, the seal can be tested by pressurizing with blowing.

The next bit can be a bit tricky, but only until you're accustomed to the properties of molten glass. Heat the sealed end ~3 cm from the tip. Rotate the tube as it's heated. Once it takes on an orange-red glow, gently blow through the tube while turning fast (use a mouth piece extension if it's too hot . BE CAREFUL!!) As air is blown, the tube will expand around the hot softened area. Be slow, experiment with moving in and out of the flame and don't expand it beyond ~ twice the original diameter.

If you don't want a nice evenly round bulb, it's maybe easier to heat and let gravity do the job. A small hole can be placed in the top by heating again and simply poking a hot nail though the softened tube.

Once the shape is obtained, determine length required, use a glass cutter - scratch and snap. Details are elsewhere on this forum.

~~~~~~~Method 2~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now if all that seems a trifle too hard, then I'll tell of another method I saw someone use, again it will ATTRACT NO SUSPICION if purchasing the following:

1 x 10mL volumetric flask** (no stopper needed - but one will prolly come with it)
1 x ground glass stoppered 1mL pipette (to fit flask)

The two pieces fit perfectly together with your crystal in the flask. Heat gently and I'm sure the rest will come naturally 8(

Volumetric flasks **(often packaged/ purchased in pairs) have nothing to do with drugs, they are not restricted and are used extensively to produce standard strength solutions for testing comparisons ( to produce a standard curve in analytical procedures). A simple example would be to make up a standard solution for testing the accuracy of a colour test.

My colleagues and I have just designed a test for total and available chlorine (as ClO2) in water. No rocket science required, but without volumetric flasks it would have been a daunting task, to say the least.

~~~~~~~~~~Method 3 (best)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Use another, less concentrated form of administration.

Sorry but I feel I can't give the above instructions without a comment from my conscience.

When we don't have a cracky we just use a test tube and use and empty pen tube to suck out the smoke. Doesn't require much creation but is fairly effective.

Also, most head shops will do drilling for you for pretty cheap, well a lot cheaper than a new bong.

as far as i know only the little ice pipes were banned, you can still buy the more professional and original crack pipes, I found one in a bong shop two weeks ago.

Your best bet right now in Vic is to check out your local dodgy asian discount smoke store. I've heard reports of people picking up crack pipes as recent as a few weeks ago. Seems they would much prefer to get rid of their excess stock and plead ignorance about the banning of crack pipes. :)

If they're all out.. your best bet is to start making friends interstate. I was thinking about this not long ago. As crack pipes are legal for sale in other states, I would assume you would have no problems posting one.

stace.

Actually I worked out a simple way of modifying a test tube.

Grab yourself a sharpening stone and grind the corner of the bottom of the test tube against it. Within a few minutes you will wear it through and have a nie little hole.
Then just run it over a stove for a few minutes to melt the edges to take the edge off them.
Fill with meth, and enjoy!!

My friend who was the guinnie pig said it worked a treat!

I've attached a photo of the result.

Just a couple of design points to note.
1.) Don't point the hole in the end. This will cause the air to tend to skim over the puddle of meth and not promote evacuation of the smoke.
2.) If you do have the time and patience, then put a slight kink (about half the thickness of the test tube) in the bottom edge of the about an inch from the end. This will also cause the intake of air to tend to swirl over the puddle of meth and encourage good evacuation.

Attachments

• dsc00365.jpg
    dsc00365.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 3,047
Good improvisation Sllip. It's got to be better for you than light bulb or foil. When it gets too dirty it can be discarded and a new one made without expense. You can also get a smaller diameter test tube, which may suit better.

21.gif

A metal spoon with a straw is a much healthier (and easier) alternative to using foil...

Wait... are we smoking crack or ice here?

i have found that port sippers work really well.
it's hard to explain how to use it, but if you look at a photo of one you can kinda see how it works. i used one of these as my faithful little pipe, until one of my mates dropped it :p

W2065Full.jpg

Last edited:
I like sonic_reality's alternative best so far :)

I've found the bong glass can be too thick most of the time for ease of use, usually takes ages to heat/cool.

Smoking Ice..

I was looking at the crack pipe thread and was getting worried..
When I smoke ice.. *ocassionally*, we use foil + mini bong... Is this bad? Because in the crack pipe thread someone was about to break a head when foil was said?

What ways do you smoke your ice...

They say it the chemicals that are released when tin foil burns can contribute causeing alzimers. This can be reduced by burning the foil until it stops smoking befor smoking off it, i would worry to much if you havn't done this in the past, i used to with hash oil when i was a teenager. I dont know why you would want to smoke ice this way anyway, a nice clean pipe a much nicer way and you can get much bigger hits. A light bulb is another option, the small oval ones are the best, get a hacksaw or sarated knife cut off the top in the middle of metal part, carfully smash out the indside. I would suggest giving it a good clean first, personally i would not smoke any way but with a pipe though this is better than tin foil.

Last edited:
LOL remember a night when we had nothing else but the wine glasses we were drinking from! made a a little funnel - made a puddle tilting the edge of the wineglass and yep worked fine... Also as the other poster says a spoon and funnel is good for "the last resort" of quick hits...

i prefer water bongs personally it tastes a lot better and it is just more enjoyable but light globes are more social cos you can have like 2 ppl doing it at once.