• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cotton fever

Lsargent

Greenlighter
Today is the second day that I have been sick from cotton fever I didn't get out of bed none yesterday from it now it's the second night and I'm still just as sick does anyone have any ideas of what will help? And please don't suggest the hospital I found out two days ago that I'm pregnant so going to the hospital is out of the question

You've been sick for more than a day?

Antibiotics are prescribed at times in patients with cotton fever, if the fever persists. But it's best to let the fever run it's course anyways so I don't think you'll have to worry about going to the hospital unless your symptoms get worse.

One remedy is to take a hot shower or lay in a hot bath to combat the shaking/fever. Take your choice of Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc for the fever and the pain associated with cotton fever. If you're in pain at all.

What exactly are your symptoms? Most people feel better after eight hours, as it usually only lasts a couple hours. Rarely will it turn into something more serious, such as pneumonia, but there's still a possibility so you aren't in the clear yet.

I'd also be concerned with the wellbeing of your child. Don't use dirty cotton filters, old syringes, anything dirty or contaminated, really. And if you're pregnant, don't use it all.

Make an update regarding how you feel. Don't be afraid of going to the hospital, they're there to help you, not get you in trouble.

^This
Go to the hospital now for the sake of you and your unborn childs well being!

Edit: As far as I know cotton fever doesn't take more than one day, so if you are still sick on the second day you seem to have something even more serious than cotton fever. If you don't at least go to a doctor you may risk miscarriage/premature delivery.
Please swallow your pride and go to the hospital!

Last edited:
Yes go talk to ur primary care doctor asap, or go to a hospital and let them know your condition and situation. Tell them u didn't know u were pregnant until a couple days ago, etc. they won't judge you, they will only do their best to help you.

^This
Go to the hospital now for the sake of you and your unborn childs well being!

Edit: As far as I know cotton fever doesn't take more than one day, so if you are still sick on the second day you seem to have something even more serious than cotton fever. If you don't at least go to a doctor you may risk miscarriage/premature delivery.
Please swallow your pride and go to the hospital!

I don't think her not wanting to goto the hospital is about pride but more about the fact this will be documented that she's a pregnant woman who's an IV drug user and majority of the time those children are taken away from the mothers at birth. But I do agree she should do something about her health. Idk exactly what though.

I've also read about the hot bath/ shower cure. You should feel so much better after about 45 minutes of having that hot water on ur body. But I still think it's important to atleast talk to a doctor asap, it'll be confidential and they will tell u what u should do, and what will be best for you, considering you're a few weeks pregnant ��

What symptoms are you experiencing?

Sepsis can mimic cotton fever, which would be my major concern. If indeed you are septic you must go to the ER.

Cotton fever is characterized by severe chills even under blankets-- to the point all you can do is lay/sit there and shake ,
a headache that will feel like someone is driving a spike through your head, and for me thirst. If you take ibuprofen as soon as it hits it will help (for future reference). Cotton fever usually comes on within a half hour after shooting, lasts anywhere from an hour to half a day (IME), and usually you sort of pass out asleep once you stop shaking

It's possible you have sepsis if these kind of symptoms have been present for 2 days. If you are talking about nausea and light-headedness type symptoms, it's possible you're experiencing morning sickness (doesn't always just happen in morning )

So give us a better idea of what is going on with you.

But if you have symptoms of going into septic shock, get to an ER, or you won't be around to worry about consequences. And if the hospital finds out you are pregnant and using, they'll get you into a maintenance program if necessary, not take your child. (Unless of course you refuse help and it would be dangerous to leave a child with you).

Today is the second day that I have been sick from cotton fever I didn't get out of bed none yesterday from it now it's the second night and I'm still just as sick does anyone have any ideas of what will help? And please don't suggest the hospital I found out two days ago that I'm pregnant so going to the hospital is out of the question

I've never been sick two days with cotton fever. OP, you should disregard all replies and your computer in general. Go to the emergency room.