View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Consistent bad trips?

supersoup

Bluelighter
First of all, let me say hello, as this is my first post. Anyways, I have a bit of a problem. Every time I take a significant dose of a psychedelic, I have a bad trip! I've tripped 3 times, all in the last month, LSD twice and shrooms once. I'll give a brief description of each:

First trip
Drug: LSD
Dose: 100ug
Setting: Bedroom, 8:30pm
Description: Started feeling effects at 9:30, starting with a pleasant pressure in my chest and throat. Tingling from back of neck began son after. I experienced these body feelings + euphoria and slight open eyed hallucinations and tracers. I laid in bed and texted my friends, just observing the experience. At around 12:00, I decided to smoke weed and watch a movie, as most of my friends I had been texting were now asleep. At around 12:30, I started bad tripping. I don't know if it was caused by the weed or the movie (relatively violent) or neither. I was in a lot of mental pain, so I turned off the movie and the lights and laid in bed (probably a bad choice, but my judgment was skewed). I was now having very intricate and intense closed eye hallucinations, but my bad trip got in the way of my appreciation for them. At this point it became unbearable, so I took 1.25mg of Xanax in an attempt to dull the trip. This worked, and I fell asleep 20 minutes later, and slept off the rest of the trip. Felt fine the next day, although a bit tired (only got ~5 hours of sleep).

Second trip
Drug: LSD
Dose: ~70ug
Setting: Abandoned hotel, 5:30pm
Description: 2 friends and I split 2 tabs between the 3 of us at 5:30. The abandoned hotel was actually not creepy or sketchy at all, it was very clean and we sat in a room with a large window overlooking the lake. We smoked a blunt and by 6:30, both of my friends were tripping hard. One had tripped before, although not for awhile, and it was the other's first time. This was 3 days after my first trip, and I think my tolerance may have spiked, because I didn't feel anything until ~8:00. Even then, I only felt the body sensations and had little to no mental or visual effects. On the other hand, both of my friends (at the same dose as I) had full blown trips. None of us felt any negative effects.

Third trip
Drug: Shrooms (psilocybe cubensis)
Dose: 2 grams
Setting: Motel room (not abandoned), 10:30pm
Description: Dosed 2 grams of ground shrooms and chased with lemon juice (read online that this increased effects/decreased onset time). I was pretty stoned when I took them. I started feeling a comfortable heaviness about 15 minutes later. 15 minutes after that, the visuals started. The white wall of the room turned bright green, and I started seeing green and red tracers. Another 15 minutes passed and my friends left to buy more weed, leaving me alone. The room then started moving and bending, and I hallucinated other people in the room (somehow this didn't freak me out at all). I also began hearing very defined but random phrases being spoken in the voices of people I knew, although no one was there. I never really experienced any euphoria at any point, although the visuals were amazing. At around midnight-12:30 I started to become physically uncomfortable and another bad trip set in for no apparent reason. Throughout the bad trip (as well as my first one) I was totally aware that the effects were only temporary and were caused by the drug, but this didn't help me cope with it at all. My friends arrived back soon after this, and I was temporarily relieved, but the negativity came back soon, once again for no apparent reason. I had read since my first trip that 25mg of seroquel can end any psychedelic trip in 20 minutes, so I had my friends drive me to my house to get some. I dosed 50mg of seroquel at around 1am, felt no difference 35 minutes later, then dosed another 50mg. About 20 minutes after that, I fell asleep and once again slept off the rest of the trip. I feel I should note that this trip was nowhere near as bad as my first, but turned bad much sooner (1.5-2 hours after taking, instead of 4).

Drugs I've tried before these psychedelics::
-Weed (a lot, very comfortable with it)
-Xanax
-Klonopin
-Oxycodone
-Morphine
-Provigil and Nuvigil
-Adderall

I've never had any sort of negative reaction to drugs before, but two thirds of my psychedelic experiences have resulted in bad trips (and the one that didn't, I barely tripped). I'm a very level headed person, and have no issues with anxiety or anything like that. Any ideas on why I reacted so negatively to psychs? What should I do from here? Should I just accept that psychedelics aren't right for me? Or should I keep trying? And if so, what should I do differently to avoid a bad trip? I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of both the LSD and the shrooms, but the bad trips were unbearable. Thanks in advance.

Might want to try checking out some live music, preferably something uplifting you can dance to. Kind of directs the experience until you are more familiar with the effects. Also 3 times in a month is kind of a lot IMO.

Some people can't mix weed and psychs. Try it without the weed next time. I trip several times a month and I really only get bad trips after I smoke. And not even every time.

Some people can't mix weed and psychs. Try it without the weed next time. I trip several times a month and I really only get bad trips after I smoke. And not even every time.

Thanks for the advice. Next time I do a psych I'll try not smoking, as well as doing it during the day.

Set and setting is of primary importance with psychedelics.I would recommend taking early in the day , in a park style setting, or at the ocean.Nature does wonders for uplifting the mood on these substances.An abandoned hotel is a recipe for a bad trip.

Maybe psychedelics aren't for you? Are you sure you're actually taking LSD, and not a research chemical?

If you are actually taking LSD, don't use any cannabis on it, or while on mushrooms, and see how it is for you.

The 2nd experience with LSD didn't seem to go too bad, and tripping in an abandoned hotel sounds fun!

Another possibility is that you are running into something in your consciousness, and aspect of yourself that you are not happy with. You may have to figure it out and resolve it, before you can enjoy the experience again.

Probably had one bad trip and that's in your memory every time you trip. Try either a lower dose you can handle or spreading the trips out once every 3 months instead of once a week.

Is weed not a psychedelic, though? If not, then what class of drug could cannabis be placed? Anyway, maybe serotonergic psychedelics and cannabinoidergic psychedelics don't compliment each other well, for some reason. But, in all sincerity, I haven't ever noticed anything remarkable about combining cannabis with psychedelics like LSD, DMT, psilocybin, etc. To me, it only ever seems like each of the drugs' effects in isolation become juxtaposed or superimposed in combination, rather than their sum being noticeably different than each drug on its own.

Maybe psychedelics aren't for you? Are you sure you're actually taking LSD, and not a research chemical?

If you are actually taking LSD, don't use any cannabis on it, or while on mushrooms, and see how it is for you.

The 2nd experience with LSD didn't seem to go too bad, and tripping in an abandoned hotel sounds fun!

It was real as far as I know... I bought it from an online source with a lot of good reviews, and the blotter was totally tasteless. The 2nd experience wasn't bad at all, but I also didn't really trip very hard.