• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Coffee, Anxiety and Psychedelics

My "daily stimulant" of choice is actually coca tea, which is way better and healthier than caffinated drinks. Short of that, "gunpowder"-style green tea or pu-erh.

Coffee and redbull can give a good wake, but they are extremely liable to cause anxiety for me. I make it a point not to take any caffeine if I plan to take a psychedelic.

Heaven knows how many E experiences were ruined back when I took pills because they had shitloads of caffeine in them.

Nitrous is Nice said:
"Common knowledge & widely abused scare propaganda": Marijuana is a gateway drug.

But what about this theory...

Caffeine is a gateway drug that leads to a lifestyle of psychological addiction to stimulants & more!

^ I'd argue that the second "gateway" statement above is just as, if not more true, than the first. ^

1. Kids drink sodas, become addicted to the rush of caffeine at a very young age.
2a. Older kids begin drinking coffee for its higher caffeine content.
2b. Older kids begin drinking energy drinks to get that boost they need for whatever. <-- (new trend that is like the fast track version of a normal coffee addiction, also marketed towards kids down through the high school levels)
3. Imminent anxiety, strong tolerance for caffeine, general state of being more scatterbrained
4. ADD/ADHD!!! (Big grin from pharm companies)
5. Solution: Drugs that "cure" ADD/ADHD!
6. Adderall/Ritalin being prescribed younger and younger
7. Tolerance quickly builds
8. What now? Cocaine? Methamphetamine?
(also note by now several other psychological problems have bloomed in result to increasing level of hypertension/overstimulation/anxiety.... cure? Benzos! Anti-depressants!)
9. Parents wondering what happened to their happy, youthful children and the days they spent drinking mountain dew hanging out with their friends and playing video games.
10. The government knows what happened! MARIJUANA!
11. Nearly every measure possible is taken to make psychedelics (which happen to have fairly good success in breaking addictions) impossible to purchase, possess, and consume.
12. Back to the generation of the stimulant craving, confused ADD'ers
13. Pharm companies: "Oh we have just what you need to get your brain chemicals back to normal"
14. Government and Pharmaceutical companies hold hands and embrace in euphoric laughter as billions of dollars rain down upon their heads.
15. Schools: Look what happens to drug addicts. Don't smoke pot! Say no to drugs. Feel free to use the vending machine in the cafeteria to buy a soda to quench your youthful thirst.

There are only two words to describe this post.

EPIC WIN

Caffeine always makes me kind of anxious and jumpy. In some ways it feels more "speedy" than actual amphetamine, though in a tweaky way not in the "the world is my oyster!" way of speed. I've never really noticed it having any effect on psychedelics though. Maybe if I drank a lot of coffee, but I've drunken coffee while dropping a tab many times - I like to drop in the morning so I can get to sleep at a reasonable time - and besides maybe making the comeup a little speedier, when the acid's kicking in full-speed I don't notice a pathetic chemical like caffeine.

I also smoke cigarettes, and I've read (wikipedia) that smokers metabolize caffeine much faster than the average person, so that may have something to do with it.

Green tea has always been my stimulant of choice, nice and relaxing, never jittery. My first LSD trip really started when the bird on the cup I was sipping from could have just up and flown off and I wouldn't have been too surprised... Didn't happen but ya know...

samadhi_smiles said:
I have in the past used green tea, but always switched back to coffee. My stomach is also giving me some trouble (nausea and gagging sometimes).

I must say, I've been getting that quite a lot recently from coffee, particualry if I drink it and smoke weed at the same time. Massive lump in the throat feeling that I just can't swallow down, which leads to rather weird gagging/throat-explosions. Unfortunately, green tea does that to me as well- it has actually made me vomit before. But, after a day of drinking a lot of coffee the feeling of alkalinity- all the lactcic acid etc- feels disgusting and would not be good for tripping.

coffee and cannabis are my daily alllies =D

a few years ago i would drink coffee on acid and other psyches without any negative effects. i guess the 'caffeinated lifestyle(s)' vary quite a bit, i don't usually drink coffee because i'm tired, mainly for it's focusing qualities.

that is my one true physical addiction though, no doubt. too long w/o coffee (like over a day) and its migraine explosion time. i rarely feel mentally addicted to it though. as with cannabis, they are my companions :)

the only time i can remember that coffee got the better of me was back when i wasn't as strict about which chemicals enter my body...DXM + LSD + Coffee = insatiable dehydration. i would literally drink a whole cup of water and feel no less dehydrated.

not sure if anyone noticed how chemicals in Yerba Mate act as an MAOI,
which increases the effects and length of psychedelics...like adding syrian rue to a DMT brew

For some reason that I can't pin down, I never drink my daily caffeine if I'm going to trip that day. It just seems wrong. But once I'm tripping, the taste of a cup of coffee can really ground me and comfort me, so I don't worry so much about abstaining then. I think it's the same as smoking weed vs. not while tripping. For people who normally find it comforting, it will help, for people who don't love it, it makes things more confusing. I don't smoke weed while on any other drug because it's not my friend. I can use it on its own and make it work for me, but we don't have a natural affinity, so when I'm in the sensitive psychedelic state, I stay away. It doesn't smell right, I have no desire to do it, when I do it disorients me and causes concrete hallucinations, etc. Most of my friends, on the other hand, couldn't survive a trip without a few bowls. Just different brains.

But coffee is my ally, the thing that sets the positive tone for my day, relaxes me, and makes me appreciate the beauty of life, so I feel that there's a place for it in a trip. And when I'm coming down from salvia, I absolutely crave a cup of coffee to remind me what normal reality consists of.

And as a coffee enthusiast, I have to speak up for it in this topic, as I think it has been unfairly maligned. Green tea and yerba mate act as stimulants in the EXACT same manner as coffee. The sole difference is dosage. A cup of coffee generally has 135mg of caffeine in it (for an 8 oz cup, more like 200mg for a 12oz, and 250mg if you make it as strong as I do), whereas a cup of green tea has only 30mg, and a cup of yerba mate has probably in between the two (and it is not caffeine, but it is in the xanthine family and is identical in its method of action). So you see that those who are sensitive to caffeine (including most people with anxiety disorders) will experience negative effects more often from an average serving of coffee. But this is not a result of something different in the nature of coffee, it is just that they are consuming more caffeine than they can handle. It's like pouring yourself a pint glass full of bourbon and expecting it to be the same as the beer you usually drink, or saying you don't like weed because you ate three hash brownies once and threw up. If you tried a half-cup of coffee instead, or just 8 oz instead of filling up that 12oz mug, the results would be much more pleasant.

Personally, I am not very sensitive to caffeine, and 250mg is about my perfect dose, but my mother can't handle more than 60 without getting anxious and jittery and disturbing her sleep patterns. It's a personality thing. So don't blame coffee for your problems, just know what dosage you're comfortable with and drink whatever tastes best to you.

Also, while green tea is very good for you, moreso than coffee (for non-caffeine reasons such as less acidity and more antioxidants), yerba mate has a collection of possible health risks that I recommend you read up on. Most of the positive things said about it tend to be untested marketing hype.

Nitrous is Nice said:
But what about this theory...

Caffeine is a gateway drug that leads to a lifestyle of psychological addiction to stimulants & more!
Probably true.

But actually when I talked about the negative effects of coffee I was referring to coffee-fueled decision making.
The corporate world, politics and even the ******* military pretty much run on coffee. Lots and lots and lots of it. Day in day out.
Of course there are worse things than fucked up coffee decisions, like pré-coffee decisions...8)

^Have a look for caffeine psychosis, there are people that SWEAR thas as the most commonly abused drug (coffee=caffeine) and is never restricted to anybody, dramatic affects have been seen inpatients with psychotic anxiety when they stopped their coffee intake. Of course, that could be bs. But the military really run on amphetamines and zolpidem, at least the US.

I have never enjoyed Khat, but I've only chewed it. Didn't do much for me to be honest. A 'tea' Inreally like is a mixture of good passionflower and green tea- very very relaxing.

shannonsensimilla said:
not sure if anyone noticed how chemicals in Yerba Mate act as an MAOI,
which increases the effects and length of psychedelics...like adding syrian rue to a DMT brew

Yerba mate extracts have shown to have somethinglike 40% percent MAO-A inhibition, but thats not related to the caffeine.

swilow said:
^Have a look for caffeine psychosis, there are people that SWEAR thas as the most commonly abused drug (coffee=caffeine) and is never restricted to anybody, dramatic affects have been seen inpatients with psychotic anxiety when they stopped their coffee intake.
As a non-coffee drinker who has worked in a coffee shop I'm very well aware of the fact.
Not sure if that amazes me the most or the fact that the victims do not notice it themselves.

But the military really run on amphetamines and zolpidem, at least the US.
That's just the grunts in the field. Those don't make the big decisions.

^Interesting. What would you say 'caffeine psychosis' manifest as? Mania, anxiety...??

That's just the grunts in the field. Those don't make the big decisions.

Thank fucking god. Imagine a buch of tweakers ruling the world, it'd be like....what it is now. ;)

swilow said:
^Interesting. What would you say 'caffeine psychosis' manifest as? Mania, anxiety...??
Anxiety and negative emotions mainly.

Thank fucking god. Imagine a bunch of tweakers ruling the world, it'd be like....what it is now. ;)
It would be better. Tweakers are unable to concentrate on one thing for extended periods of time.
The powers that be are busy using and abusing power 100% of the time.

Here's an interesting exchage between reporter Abdul Rahman Al-Rashed and Colin Powell:

"QUESTION: So do you use sleeping tablets to organize yourself?

SECRETARY POWELL: Yes. Well, I wouldn't call them that. They're a wonderful medication -- not medication. How would you call it? They're called ambien, which is very good. You don't use ambien? Everybody here uses ambien. "

Source: http://www.state.gov/secretary/former/powell/remarks/2003/26028.htm

I always figured they were on something but Ambien?

^ lolwut

I think that modafinil is now the stimulant of choice / "go pill" for the military?

It's oviously worse than I suspected. I'm too innocent I guess.

I've found minimizing the amount of salt and sugar I consume reduces anxiety levels drastically. After quitting coffee it is almost eliminated totally. High sodium intake has been known to increase anxiety levels.

i actually find caffeine quite euphoric to be honest. two espressos are about equal in effect with a half pill in me, but i guess i'm quite sensitive to the euphoric effects of caffeine as none of my friends have reported anything similar. on the other hand if i drink more than one cup of coffee a day i am very unconcentrated.
i have never really gotten into green tee as it makes me nervous while coffee does not…

caffeine can certainly bring back a little psychedelia (but not in a good way) if i have tripped much in the last months. it also attenuates the nice afterglow from trips so i stay away from caffeine for weeks after tripping.

^to whoever was talking about tea and coffee variations

i've heard that tea leaves have multiple active chemicals other than caffeine. whereas coffee has either only caffeine or few active chemicals. it was a while ago when i was readind about this so i forget the numbers, but i remember that tea had a wider range of effects in the body and mind (not just antioxidant related).

^Tea- camelia sinsesis- contains caffeine and L-theanine. L-theanine is purportedly tuned into GABA in the brain, and is know to be psychoactive. Coffe doesn't contain L-theanine; thats why tea drinkers generally report a more calm focus then coffee drinkers, who seem to feel more frenzied.

How weird, a discussion on tea and coffee in PD. :)

SomeKindaLove said:
^ lolwut

I think that modafinil is now the stimulant of choice / "go pill" for the military?

I find it interesting that on top of drills, and other "readiness training" (which must wreak havoc on one's psyche) members of the military are specifically drugged when put in high stress combat settings where snap life/death judgements are made all the time. I remember a friendly fire incident that involved "go pills" possibly causing a rash judgment, leading to the deaths of 12 Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan at the hands of American pilots.