• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids codeine or tramadol?

which is better

• Total voters
I actually prefer codeine to DHC. Not sure why,just feels better but DHC is ok too.

I am doing that right now, 12 years of tramadol, every day for 10 of those 12 years, all their BS, a dozen doctors telling me to my face its not an opioid, work comp docs handed the shit out like an ATM machine, seriously it was so swiftly handed out we all thought how good could it be, and we would literally toss out the blister packs of thirty, my van had at least a dozen of those blister packs in the back. Now, they are cutting me off of it, absolutely appalling disregard for me the patient, you cannot get a script of it, anywhere.
That's fucked up!
I'm sorry to hear that!

Not surprised at all though. European medical literature showed tramadol was an opioid (with a full agonist metabolite) for decades, while they treated it like it was nothing here in the US.

400mg of tramadol, split over an hour, with no tolerance, had me feeling just as good as heroin. And it lasted hours & hours. Tolerance built slow for me too. Like that 400mg a day would keep me content & "normal" for almost a month, without having to change anything. I actually love tramadol. I'd prefer heroin any day but tramadol can be incredibly enjoyable if your body metabolizes it well.

That's basically how I started my opioid usage. My mom was prescribed tramadol, she didn't have any drug knowledge but was told it wasn't an opioid, so she thought it'd be useless. And I started popping them, only to quickly realize that they weren't useless at all & pretty much obliterated my depression, anxiety & even increased my feelings of self worth & confidence. I loved the damn things.

This just goes to show that a lot of doctors are idiots & are "trained" into what to believe & think, instead of actually caring to study any of the shit themselves. I'm sure some out there back in the day knew it was an opioid. And I don't really blame them for giving it out if they did, cause at least they knew it would provide pain relief to people who needed it. I do blame our government though for turning around & scheduling it after all that time & basically doing nothing about all the people they just made dependent on it. They basically just pushed those people to street opioids or onto the next pharma scheme, big ol' Suboxone.

I've known some people who who had surgery last year & they were given like 10 tramadol at most. It's fucking disgusting.

Tramadol would make a good maintenance drug too IMO. Much more stimulating than buprenorphine.

It's too bad the masses are mostly idiots who are content with their dead end jobs, alcohol & weed & don't really care about the fact that opioids are basically being eliminated in the US. Or at least severely strictly controlled, which is just bullshit.

They want you dependent on SSRI's and garbage like that. I have a few family members dealing with bursitis & severe arthritis & they're still being refused an opioid.

I'm actually scared to get older because it means once I end up with shit like bursitis & arthritis, I'm gonna be even more fucked, since I have suboxone on my record. How the fuck is some one suppose to keep their sanity when dealing with tons of pain in their 40's, 50's and 60's +???? I could understand maybe being more strict giving out opioid scripts for younger folks, but why people in their 40's, 50's & beyond? You only have so much time left in this world & they want you to spend it being miserable instead of enjoying yourself & being able to function. It makes me sick (literally & figuratively). People need to be fighting back against this tyrannical control of our bodies.

Last edited:
CODEINE! Tramadol is absolute ass.

You don't have to answer, but are you on an anti-depressant? People who aren't are more likely to enjoy Tramadol as it has an SNRI affect as well as having a mild opioid affect.

Either way, Codeine. Unless you can get Dihydrocodeine (also a "weak opioid", but twice as strong as codeine and it has less side effects, like personally it causes me WAY less itching).
cheers! soz for the late reply, i am on anti depressants wne anti psychotics do explains why tramadol doesn’t do anything for me.
i’ev been using dhc and codeine separately but i find dhc just makes me itchy and hot, don’t feel high at all. codrim,!8 take like 330mg at a tome and feels amazing and i’m desperately trying yo
find some oxy or preferably H bc opioids feel lokr hesven 🥲

cheers! soz for the late reply, i am on anti depressants wne anti psychotics do explains why tramadol doesn’t do anything for me.
i’ev been using dhc and codeine separately but i find dhc just makes me itchy and hot, don’t feel high at all. codrim,!8 take like 330mg at a tome and feels amazing and i’m desperately trying yo
find some oxy or preferably H bc opioids feel lokr hesven 🥲

Looooved Oxy, but that's what started my trouble. Kept getting my dose increased but when I was on ~200mg/day my doctor refused to increase it anymore and I started buying it online.

That's fucked up!
I'm sorry to hear that!

Not surprised at all though. European medical literature showed tramadol was an opioid (with a full agonist metabolite) for decades, while they treated it like it was nothing here in the US.

400mg of tramadol, split over an hour, with no tolerance, had me feeling just as good as heroin. And it lasted hours & hours. Tolerance built slow for me too. Like that 400mg a day would keep me content & "normal" for almost a month, without having to change anything. I actually love tramadol. I'd prefer heroin any day but tramadol can be incredibly enjoyable if your body metabolizes it well.

That's basically how I started my opioid usage. My mom was prescribed tramadol, she didn't have any drug knowledge but was told it wasn't an opioid, so she thought it'd be useless. And I started popping them, only to quickly realize that they weren't useless at all & pretty much obliterated my depression, anxiety & even increased my feelings of self worth & confidence. I loved the damn things.

This just goes to show that a lot of doctors are idiots & are "trained" into what to believe & think, instead of actually caring to study any of the shit themselves. I'm sure some out there back in the day knew it was an opioid. And I don't really blame them for giving it out if they did, cause at least they knew it would provide pain relief to people who needed it. I do blame our government though for turning around & scheduling it after all that time & basically doing nothing about all the people they just made dependent on it. They basically just pushed those people to street opioids or onto the next pharma scheme, big ol' Suboxone.

I've known some people who who had surgery last year & they were given like 10 tramadol at most. It's fucking disgusting.

Tramadol would make a good maintenance drug too IMO. Much more stimulating than buprenorphine.

It's too bad the masses are mostly idiots who are content with their dead end jobs, alcohol & weed & don't really care about the fact that opioids are basically being eliminated in the US. Or at least severely strictly controlled, which is just bullshit.

They want you dependent on SSRI's and garbage like that. I have a few family members dealing with bursitis & severe arthritis & they're still being refused an opioid.

I'm actually scared to get older because it means once I end up with shit like bursitis & arthritis, I'm gonna be even more fucked, since I have suboxone on my record. How the fuck is some one suppose to keep their sanity when dealing with tons of pain in their 40's, 50's and 60's +???? I could understand maybe being more strict giving out opioid scripts for younger folks, but why people in their 40's, 50's & beyond? You only have so much time left in this world & they want you to spend it being miserable instead of enjoying yourself & being able to function. It makes me sick (literally & figuratively). People need to be fighting back against this tyrannical control of our bodies.
The latest MD gives me the you've been faked out by the narcotic speech, its the narcotic that is causing you pain! You cannot make this shit up, such naked hypocrisy, nobody would buy the book, to freaking hard to believe! I have been on every opioid you can name, swift tolerance issues manifesting within a single script, then they transition me to tramadol in 2011, the safe option, the non-narcotic option, every MD stated categorically that its NOT an opioid!

Amazingly, they start me at 400mg daily, thats 8 x 50 tabs, then the shit storm of oxy breaks wide open across the fruited plains, and suddenly my 8 daily trams become 6 (300mg) daily trams, never mind that its NOT oxy, and they are still singing their song about the safe pain med, they still auto cut the daily dose out of hand! Interestingly, 6 x 50 x 365 never, ever leads me to need more of it, no tolerance experienced whatsoever, dependency certainly, but I largely can get by with 300mg a day, for ten years!

I came through the insane US work comp system, had to sue the US federal government in federal court ( I won) and I learned that in the scheme of things, attorneys have a bad rap, a very bad rap, but the real assholes, the real liars are the MD's, there is nobody more full of shit than a work comp MD, crackheads are paragons of virtue compared to those whores.....

Both of them are shitty opiods IMHO. At high doses tramadol is still relatively week to other opiods, and with coderine you need a lot of it just to achieve any effect at all. I'd rather just pop 30mg hydrocodone and be done, making purple drank with half a gram of codeine.

Tramadol releases serotonin (although not a lot), unlike other opioids. And no, I'm not referring to it's SNRI effect, which is incredibly weak to begin with.

Tramadol also has pro-immunse system effects, in comparison to the immune system lowering effects of other opioids.

Some one who's not a good CYP2D6 metabolizer will find it boring. Those who metabolize it well will enjoy it.

The latest MD gives me the you've been faked out by the narcotic speech, its the narcotic that is causing you pain! You cannot make this shit up, such naked hypocrisy, nobody would buy the book, to freaking hard to believe! I have been on every opioid you can name, swift tolerance issues manifesting within a single script, then they transition me to tramadol in 2011, the safe option, the non-narcotic option, every MD stated categorically that its NOT an opioid!

Amazingly, they start me at 400mg daily, thats 8 x 50 tabs, then the shit storm of oxy breaks wide open across the fruited plains, and suddenly my 8 daily trams become 6 (300mg) daily trams, never mind that its NOT oxy, and they are still singing their song about the safe pain med, they still auto cut the daily dose out of hand! Interestingly, 6 x 50 x 365 never, ever leads me to need more of it, no tolerance experienced whatsoever, dependency certainly, but I largely can get by with 300mg a day, for ten years!

I came through the insane US work comp system, had to sue the US federal government in federal court ( I won) and I learned that in the scheme of things, attorneys have a bad rap, a very bad rap, but the real assholes, the real liars are the MD's, there is nobody more full of shit than a work comp MD, crackheads are paragons of virtue compared to those whores.....
Glad you won!!

Last edited:
I took tramadol once because I just happened to have it. Other than giving me stomach ache it did nothing for me.

Both of them are shitty opiods IMHO. At high doses tramadol is still relatively week to other opiods, and with coderine you need a lot of it just to achieve any effect at all. I'd rather just pop 30mg hydrocodone and be done, making purple drank with half a gram of codeine.
You have to be able to metabolize the tramadol, many cannot and it's just a partial agonist, about 45% can, and they metabolize the tram into one of the most potent full agonists you can lay hands upon, but it has a caveat, it must be oral. The most wonderful thing from my perspective is the near total lack of tolerance building, good luck with that on any other oral opiate.

I've got some tram left, are the potentiators same for oxy? Liver enzyme inhibitors?

I've got some tram left, are the potentiators same for oxy? Liver enzyme inhibitors?
I just take them with an advil, or a couple of cups of coffee, along with an empty stomach. But you can also take them with other well known potentiators such as magnesium, or turmeric, however the real issue is whether you metabolize them properly or not, if you do, if you are in that 45-50% that successfully metabolizes Tramadol, you won't need anything else. if not they are just a so-so pain med. You used to be able to buy them online without a script, and many people did, they can be very useful for aiding with WD from a more potent opiate, some MD's still believe they could be a valuable maintenance drug like bupe, tramadol is a very under-estimated opioid, like I said they handed them out so freely nobody bothered to even take them, we thought how good can it be if they just hand em over like jelly beans, and they always claimed they were not an opioid, so like myself, most just tossed them out or threw them into the back of their car and forgot about em altogether....

I must be one of the unfortunate 50%, cuz I took enough (max dose for me - included 1g acetaminophen)... didn't really feel shit.

Personally, from a pain point of view, I'd prefer gabapentin or pregabalin.

I just take them with an advil, or a couple of cups of coffee, along with an empty stomach. But you can also take them with other well known potentiators such as magnesium, or turmeric, however the real issue is whether you metabolize them properly or not, if you do, if you are in that 45-50% that successfully metabolizes Tramadol, you won't need anything else. if not they are just a so-so pain med. You used to be able to buy them online without a script, and many people did, they can be very useful for aiding with WD from a more potent opiate, some MD's still believe they could be a valuable maintenance drug like bupe, tramadol is a very under-estimated opioid, like I said they handed them out so freely nobody bothered to even take them, we thought how good can it be if they just hand em over like jelly beans, and they always claimed they were not an opioid, so like myself, most just tossed them out or threw them into the back of their car and forgot about em altogether....
Yeah they definitely are potent and will have you stimulated fast and nodding later with long legs...but I always saw it as, I need four 50mg trams in one sitting for a decent time but of course would prefer 6 of them or another 2-4 later on like in the nodding stage or just later like 4 hours in...if all I could get was one or two..no thanks I mean 2 might get me out of tram withdrawal but won't really amount to much so in this case I would certainly go for codeine syrup or 5 + tablets.