• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Cocaine & contraceptive implant

Cymraes

Greenlighter
Hi guys, I came across this forum whilst trying to find research/information on this topic. I’ve not really found any research or proper information on this so I thought I would make a post here to see if any other women have experienced anything like this.

I occasionally use cocaine recreationally, up to half a gram in an evening. Maybe twice a month at most. I am currently on the contraceptive implant which means I rarely get ‘periods’ (withdrawal bleeds as I obviously don’t get proper periods whilst on this contraception). I have noticed a pattern where I will come on the next day after using cocaine, and it has happened enough times now that I’m sure it isn’t a coincidence and cocaine use must be linked to this. especially when it happens twice in one month, a couple of weeks apart.

Funnily enough, the nurse who put my implant in asked me if I ever used cocaine and I told her yes, so she mentioned how she has noticed there seems to be a link between cocaine use and bleeding on the implant. I never experienced this issue with my last implant but she did say each implant can be different. I wish I asked her a bit more about this at the time but I didn’t think it would affect me, as I hadn’t experienced it before.

I have done some searches on this forum and haven’t found anything about cocaine but I did find some posts mentioning meth use and MDMA use whilst on the implant triggered a bleed. A user on the MDMA post suggested an explanation for this could be that MDMA causes a rise in prolactin which can trigger a premature period. could cocaine cause a rise in prolactin too?

I am quite interested to hear from others who have experienced this too. The nurse was talking about it in anecdotal terms as she deals with lots of women and contraception issues, and there doesn’t seem to be any research or information available out there, which is unsurprising but annoying as I was hoping to find out more info about this issue.

It’s pretty annoying as I experience cramps and not sure how bad it is for your body to trigger a period like this, so I am thinking I ought to try and kick the coke habit completely.

TLDR - I’ve noticed my coke use triggers a period whilst I’m on the contraceptive implant and I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, or has any info on this issue

I can't help with any info but I can tell you that you're most definitely not alone in your experience - someone in my old circle of friends used to complain about the exact same issue.

Please keep an eye on your cocaine use - if it becomes more than once a fortnight you can take that as a red flag. It's a truly insidious drug and catches many unawares and complacent.

Also - a warm welcome to Bluelight

I can't help with any info but I can tell you that you're most definitely not alone in your experience - someone in my old circle of friends used to complain about the exact same issue.

Please keep an eye on your cocaine use - if it becomes more than once a fortnight you can take that as a red flag. It's a truly insidious drug and catches many unawares and complacent.

Also - a warm welcome to Bluelight
That’s interesting to know, thanks for sharing.

You’re so right. I fully intend on completely kicking it as it’s such an expensive habit and although it’s fun at the time, I don’t think it’s worth the aftermath. Feeling like crap, plus the onset of a period, not fun.

Thanks very much, I’ve enjoyed reading some of the threads on here already.