⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Cloud Atlas

stars?

• Total voters

AlphaMethylPhenyl

Moderator: TDS
Staff member
Was this movie not amazing? Six stories tied into one vague, logical though speculative theme concerning the natural order of things. So many great, achieved actors with many more handing in great performances. And a broad genre of action/adventure/comedy/drama.

If I say the title fast enough, it reminds me of Donald Mahanahan's child clown outlet.

cloud atlas
cloud atlas
cloud atlet
cloud outlet
clown outlet

Just sayin

Its excellent. But I'm starting to despise circular karma stories in sci-fi. I don't really want to be myself in 50 years.

Its also strangely humorous and campy at times.

Is there no one else? I mean, come on, wasn't this one supposed to be an epic-length, special-effects-loaded, Hollywood blockbuster blowout of some sort? I was waiting for someone I knew (or at least someone on Bluelight) to go see it and comment on it before shelling out 20 bucks for a dinner-movie schtick, but apparently the film wasn't as much of a draw as I had thought it would be. Now it's passed out of theaters and into the annals of Academy Award for Best Makeup and Set Design trivia...oh well. Sad face.

I'm currently reading the 2004 novel of the same name by David Mitchell, to find that it's shockingly, delectably readable. I haven't obtained this much enjoyment from a book in years. Too bad the movie sucked (or so it would seem). February Blu-Ray release, here I come.

too long and disjointed. they could have made it far more smoothly by separating the stories, fleshing them out more and splitting it into multiple films. this suffers from the same problems dark knight returns did, too much content, even for an absurd runtime. the result is too many quick cuts and partial scenes where either

a says something, reaction shot by b
or
a says something, b replies, reaction shot by a

it's really difficult to engage with such short interactions. there's no space for characterisation, just plot.

i'll have to see it again with the volume up. it was late last night and i didn't want to disturb the toddler in the house, so much of the dialogue was too quiet (and action too loud).

yeah the actual release date here in aus is feb 21st. 8) might as well be 2019, those fkn asshats.

i think the prosthetics were too much of a distraction. they could have just used different actors, since they were often unidentifiable anyway.

Worth pointing out that it's only just being released in the UK.

Not sure of the actual release date, but I assume the independent financing has hampered it's progress?

Looks good. The runtime puts me off though. I'll inevitably need a piss at a crucial moment and spend the rest of the film wondering what the hell's going on.

this should be called "fake asians in the future!"

this should be called "fake asians in the future!"
True that.
The problem is the challenge it took on too much...6 movies...in one movie. It was too much work. Additionally, we as movie goers we like movies with one format, science fiction, drama...but when you mix all these together it is too much.Love Westerns? Comedies? Film noir? Genres OD
.....I love the future with the Asian chicks. This was the part I found entertaining (then again I like science ficition). There is the problem this movie it tries to be all things to all people.

we? speak for yourself...

just finishing the book. look forward to seeing this.

alasdair

cloud atlastitsover

long movie, i'm reluctant to rewatch

^ agreed.

this sadly was one film that against all odds (the fantastic cast and manuscript); i wasnt a fan of.

...kytnism...:|

What are you a vege-head?

Cloud Atlas is an independent movie. One must see it through this context; it wasn't meant to be a typical block-buster "wowser" stun-them-with-acting-and-crappy-naive-and-typical-plot-line-with-minor-adjustments piece of bullshit. You have to read between the lines.