• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Clonazepam to Diazepam

kjemiker

Greenlighter
I’m currently prescribed clonazepam 3mg daily. I have an option to switch to diazepam but my doc will only prescribe a max of 15mg daily. I have back pain and the diazepam helps quite a bit which is why I want to switch.
Would I experience withdrawals going from 3mg clonazepam to 15mg daily of diazepam? And would I be in danger of seizures? Should I stick with the kpins?
Thanks!

I’m currently prescribed clonazepam 3mg daily. I have an option to switch to diazepam but my doc will only prescribe a max of 15mg daily. I have back pain and the diazepam helps quite a bit which is why I want to switch.
Would I experience withdrawals going from 3mg clonazepam to 15mg daily of diazepam? And would I be in danger of seizures? Should I stick with the kpins?
Thanks!

3mg Clonazepam is equivalent to 60mg Diazepam so yes you will experience withdrawal and definitely not be comfortable. It will be enough to prevent you have a seizure or anything severe, though. I was on 120mg diazepam and my doctor started my taper at 30mg a day max and while I had symptoms like anxiety, shaking, sweating, insomnia it wasn't unbearable and I managed to cope. If it got bad I'd have a glass of wine (just as you get tapered off alcohol with benzo's, it also works the other way). I wouldn't do it unless you're really hurting and definitely don't get intoxicated I'd say maximum a large glass of wine or two beers.
You probably won't need alcohol, and you really don't wanna replace one addiction for another but it can greatly reduce your anxiety just knowing you have something there to help should you really need it.

Personally, I would stick to Klonopin and ask about another muscle relaxant for your back like Soma or Baclofen.

3mg Clonazepam is equivalent to 60mg Diazepam so yes you will experience withdrawal and definitely not be comfortable. It will be enough to prevent you have a seizure or anything severe, though. I was on 120mg diazepam and my doctor started my taper at 30mg a day max and while I had symptoms like anxiety, shaking, sweating, insomnia it wasn't unbearable and I managed to cope. If it got bad I'd have a glass of wine (just as you get tapered off alcohol with benzo's, it also works the other way). I wouldn't do it unless you're really hurting and definitely don't get intoxicated I'd say maximum a large glass of wine or two beers.
You probably won't need alcohol, and you really don't wanna replace one addiction for another but it can greatly reduce your anxiety just knowing you have something there to help should you really need it.

Personally, I would stick to Klonopin and ask about another muscle relaxant for your back like Soma or Baclofen.

Okay, so basically it would be like doing an instant taper from 3mg to say .5mg daily. That doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. Ha

I’ll stick with the Klonopin and ask my family doc about muscle relaxers to take when my back starts hurting.

Thanks for replying.