• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Clomethiazole dosage

rebelmania

Bluelighter
I've googled but am unsure. I have 300 mg capsules. I know the therapeutic interval is thin, I am prescribed 300 mg x 3 x2/day, so 1800 mg daily. Anyone have any clue how much I can safely take? So far no real effect for me, have taken 2100 mg.

Rebel

I've only ever heard of 192mg capsules. Where did these come from? not asking for a source, I am asking rather, whether these were a prescribed entity, if they came from a known legitimate pharmacy? because I did a search and the ONLY reference to 300mg chlormethiazole capsules was a ban in airport imports in some arab countries.

Chlormethiazole is generally put up as either syrup (forget the dosage) or as capsules, the latter seem invariably to contain 192mg, calculated as chlormethiazole base. IIRC there is only one manufacturer of the capsules located in europe. 300mg caps are definitely...odd. Can you describe them? pictures, the smell of the contents? effect of a little of the contents upon plastics? (chlormethiazole attacks and burns many plastics, and has a VERY distinctive odor, like...ethereal overripe apples with a hint, just a hint of metallic.

Yes it's given strictly in-patient here i believe, due to the barbiturate dangers. I just happened to be out on leave from psych so they had to send some with me. I've had some wine so don't dare take more. I'm ok with dying but not in my sleep k-thx, haha.

From the UK myself. Prescribed it (at my own request) for seizure prophylaxis and I get an additional quantity for response, as a 'rescue pack', for dealing with breakthrough seizures.

I probably strictly speaking, SHOULDN'T have been scripted the stuff, as here it isn't even licensed for antiseizure treatment in the BNF. Let alone on indefinite, automatic repeat. But there you go, I was and it is. I find it works, it works bloody quickly, and at least at the dosages I use, it has caused me no physical dependence at all, even after several years of being on the stuff taking it several times daily. Surprised me alright, since I know that I'd never get away with that on any clinically active dose of any benzodiazepine. But fuck me if I've gotten away with it price-free.

And do NOT drink on this stuff rebelmania!!!! chlormethiazole isn't just any downer when it comes specifically to alcohol. Its also an alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitor, so rather than mere potentiation, it both slows the clearance of alcohol from the body, and as a result, causes it (alcohol) to be vastly more potent, so rather than 1+1=3 or 4, 1+1=more like 30. This combination is widely known for being particularly lethal, much more so even than mixing this stuff with other depressants.

Even a small dose with one or two drinks can be enough to push some people over the edge, and if it doesn't kill outright, even a small mixture of the two in the case of both drugs, can be enough to end up making somebody so stinking drunk they'll turn pretty green around the gills, end up flat on their arse and wish themselves never born. Just don't drink on this one, not even a little bit. Don't do it, end of story. If you live to regret it, you'll really regret it.

Ironically, here in the UK, its probably easier to get than benzos, and certainly more so than barbs (not that the latter are really available anymore, save pheno for epilepsy in some cases), because despite its potent effects, and lethally steep dose-response curve, its an antiquated drug really, and most doctors aren't all that familiar with it. They hear 'benzo' and think 'fucking addictive, its the devil incarnated into tablet form', but hear 'chlormethiazole/heminevrin' and think 'just depressant'.

It doesn't seem to have the reputation that makes benzodiazepine type drugs so notorious from the viewpoint of doctors, probably, as I said, because its old, and unlike the barbs, didn't acquire an evil reputation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough response Limpet Chicken. What kind of dosage are you on? I woke up from my night, surprisingly not hungover, cause I did get drunk. But maybe the heminevrin had some to do with it.