• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Citalopram Dosage Decrease

peapie32

Greenlighter
Hi folks!! I'm new to the site and honestly don't know where to post my question, so I'll start in the homeless posts. Lol.

I currently take citalopram, 80mg. I started a year ago at 20mg for mood swings and along with my doctor settled at 80mg as being the best Dosage to keep level. However, over the past several months my memory is like gone. I can do something and not remember what I did 5 minutes ago. It's driving me batty, it's driving my husband batty and we own and run our own business and it's just making things incredibly hard overall. Plus there are other things like sleeping too deep. A tornado could ravage the house and I wouldn't budge. As well as being confused at times, etc...

So with the support of hubby we decided I should taper down and see if things get better. I started last Monday, and I'm at 40mg daily. But the withdrawal I guess of going from 80 to 40mg is like UGH!!! The head zaps. The mood swings. The general run down feeling. Now granted I did have a loperamide problem (explained in another post) but I am fairly certain the effects I'm feeling are from the citalopram and not loperamide withdrawals.

I have taken other SSRIs in this family like Paxil and Zoloft throughout the years and the results usually end up the same: the mood swings improve but I basically go crazy. ? On the upside, being down to 40mg has improved my memory, I'm thinking clearly, being more focused and organized. But the side effects suck. Anyone else in the same boat as me??? I just really need someone to talk to.