• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cheap 5-htp

ok... i have now ordered my supply, and i did have credit on my card this time... hopefully it won't take forever for it to get here.
------------------
drugs are not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer... (aka confusered... just to confuse everybodies)

these arrived today... i was quite impressed. only 3 weeks to get here... i was expecting at least 6...
------------------
drugs are not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer... (aka confusered... just to confuse everybodies)

Gregington...
If you had dropped the night before, it doesn't matter how much 5HTP you take, The conversion happens at a fixed rate. Your body can only convert a certain amount into 5HT. So (i'm guessing as to time here) it will still take at least few days to restore your serotonin to anywhere near normal levels. Normally after a dose of MDMA it takes two weeks for serotonin levels to reach normal. This would explain the less loved up peak. Not much serotonin to create it neh?
You probably already know this but I thought that any new people could benefit from it
smile.gif

DB

I recently purchased some 5-HTP from the place mentioned above by a_r.
Only took 6 days to arrive! Gotta be happy with that...

was just reading some sites, and thought i might add this here, for those wondering about dosage:
<>
Dunno how true that is --> sounds a bit over the top, but the concepts are ok. Just thought might be of interest to someone.
------------------
"...still the angle to a girl who hates to sin..."
[This message has been edited by *Princess_Fifi* (edited 02 August 2001).]

This thread reappeared after a bit of an absence... so gregington, my apologies for not replying sooner to your question.
For a good rundown on 5HTP effects, go to: www.nutritionfocus.com.
There's an article on serotonin syndrome in the Annals of Emenrgency Medicine (28:520-526). I'll try to get this and scan it in.
------------------
"You drive," he said. "I think there's something wrong with me." - Hunter S. Thompson, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

Not sure how cost-effective this one works out, but it seems fairly cheap:
http://www.clubnatural.com/cramrx.html
5-HTP 100mg 60caps x4bottles = $US48
I'm waiting for an email back from them to answer the question "do you ship 5-htp to australia?". Their website says free shipping to Australia, but I wanted to clarify this particular product.
I've also emailed another 6 vitamin/supplement online companies to get a picture of who can and can't send 5-HTP to australia.
Chances are, they'll all say "yeah sure, what's your credit card number" and send the products without a care in the world whether it gets through at our end, but when I find out I'll post the answers.
BT
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

OK, I have responses from 4 companies so far (though unfortunately not from what appears to be the cheapest - Club Natural above - just yet).
The question I asked was:
Until recently I have enjoyed a good customer relationship with a US based supplement supplier, from whom I have been accustomed to purchasing small personal orders (up to 4 bottles at a time) of Jarrow
Formulas 100mg (x60) 5-HTP capsules. I have been informed now that they no longer ship 5-HTP to Australia for some reason.
I am currently seeking a new supplier for this product and I would like to ask if your company ships this brand of 5-HTP capsule (or an equivalent) to Australia, and if so; what is the cost of the product, shipping and handling? Do you offer any discount at all for orders in the range of 3-4 bottles? (I believe a higher quantity than this cannot be imported without a permit in Australia).

All prices are for Jarrow Formulas 100mg 5-HTP capsules (60 count) unless otherwise indicated, and prices are in US dollars.
Nutrition Dome Inc: http://www.nutritiondome.com
We will ship 5-HTP to Australia but it is your responsibility to know if it is allowed to be imported. The cost per bottle is US $17.09 and the shipping is between US $16.50 and $29.00 depending on which Overseas shipping option you choose. There is no discount for 3-4 bottles. Please read our International Shipping Policy located in the "Information" section BEFORE you order.
Middle Earth/Vitamin Lady: http://www.vitaminlady.com
we ship product to Australia fairly regularily, and unless there's something I don't know about 5-HTP and the australian authoritis I see no problem with shipping it to you. (I will check on that with Jarrow when things open - California is closed for another 3 hours yet). We give a straight 20% discount for mail order, so the price per bottle would be $22.36, to which you would need to add only a $2.50 handling charge and the actual amount of shipping. I estimate that would be in the $12.00 range.
Vitamins 4 Less: http://www.4lessvitamins.com
Due to customs regulations, to our knowledge, supplements are not permitted to be shipped to Australia, of any kind, due to some restrictions and some products are considered pharmaceutical even if in the states it is considered a supplement and can be purchased over the counter.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but we too are not able to ship to Australia.
And of course, just to compare prices:
Jo Mar Labs: http://www.jomarlabs.com
We can ship 5-HTP via Global air mail. We sell 100 caps @50mg for $14.75
or 100 caps @100mg for $29.00. To ship 1 bottle the postage is $5.00. To
ship up to 3 bottles the postage is $9.00.
I hope that's of help to some of you. All those companies listed will take credit card, and/or some form of money order or cheque, so it should be a simple matter for most people to either order online, or get either a postal order or bank cheque to order by mail.
So, now there's no excuse
biggrin.gif

BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------

I ordered my 5HTP from Jomar Labs and went on holidays for 9 days. It was waiting for me when I got back.
Any pre and post loading tips? Or if there is a topic already running, please point me to it, a search on HTP returned a tad too many results
biggrin.gif

------------------
Adelaide BLer
---
The wealth needs to be shared or it will be stolen by time. Peace is our richest, most sought after wealth.

Try the Forum min-FAQ - and links within that announcement to our main FAQ which is called EVERYONE READ!
smile.gif

There's plenty there about preloading and postloading.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

PS: I ordered 2x 100 capsule bottles of 100mg 5-HTP from JoMar Labs and the confirmation receipts arrived in 4 days, the package in 5 days.
------------------

The general consensus seems to be that 5-HTP is more useful as a post-load than as a pre-load. However some people pre-load for a few days before if they've been caning it recently. As far as dosage goes, you can either experiment or wade through all the 5-HTP threads (try searching in med Q&A as well). Personally I stay away from mega doses and take 100mg for 3 nights after.

BT do any brands mention where /how 5HTP is sourced? The contaminant peak X in tryptophan that was linked with eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS) has also been found in 5HTP. http://www.mayo.edu/news/5HTP/EMSdiscuss.html
It’s unclear whether peak X was in fact the cause, it's all a bit sus but people should be aware of the connection if they are taking large doses.
Do these companies claim naturally sourced 5HTP from the african tree Griffonia simplicifolia or is it the synthetically produced product?

The supplier of the brand of 5-HTP I used to get (Jarrow) had a warning about Peak X on their website and stated that their 5-HTP had been gauranteed to be free of Peak X. In fact most 5-HTP suppliers now state that their 5-HTP "purity is assured by HPLC" meaning they test to see if the impurities causing peak X are present using high pressure liquid chromatography.
(Note: Jarrow formulas state this specifically, however Jo Mar Laboratories do not state this on their website).
Q10: How many clinical trials have been conducted using 5-HTP?
A10: Sixty-three, all reporting no adverse effects in blood chemistry. In 1995, Researchers at the Medical University of Lubeck in Germany gave 39 patients 1,000 mg/day for 10 months.
"Except for minor gastrointestinal side effects in 8 patients that did not cause serious problems in the treatment, no relevant side effects were noted with long-term administration of the 5-HTP in a dose of 1,000 mg/day. In particular, none of our patients showed symptoms of eosinophilia-myalia syndrome. Eosinophil counts did not consistently rise or fall, and there was no change in routine blood cell counts and in findings from urinalysis, blood chemistry studies, and electrocardiograms.
REFERENCE: "Double-blind crossover study with levorotary form of hydroxytryptophan in patients with degenerative cerebellar diseases."
Wessel, K.; Hermsdorfer, J.; Deger, K.; Herzog, T.; Huss, G. P.; et al.
Arch. Neurol. 52(5):451-455 (1995)
Q11: What is ?Peak X??
A11: Peak X is a peak or blip on a high-pressure liquid chromatogram (HPLC) of an impurity in 5-HTP. 5-HTP from natural sources may have many compounds that are associated with it, and can be considered impurities. The compound that produces Peak X in chromatograms may possibly be 6-hydroxy-1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-beta-carboline, although this has not been confirmed.
Q12: What is ?Peak E??
A12: Peak E is a peak or blip on a high-pressure liquid chromatogram (HPLC) of the contaminated L-tryptophan associated with EMS. There were more than 60 peaks in the chromatograms representing more than 60 impurities. Several of these impurity peaks are statistically associated with the development of EMS. Further studies suggested that the compound responsible for producing Peak E, 1,1'-ethylidene-bis[tryptophan], commonly called EBT, was associated with the development of some ? but not all ? of the symptoms of EMS. Thus, Peak E has come to be considered due to the compound that causes EMS.
Q13: Is Peak X the same as Peak E?
A13: No! Peak E is due to a compound called EBT (1,1'-ethylidene-bis[tryptophan] ), while the compound (or compounds) that produces Peak X could possibly be 6-hydroxy-1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-beta-carboline, it has not been confirmed. However, it has been determined that Peak X is NOT EBT.
Also this statement from Dr Murray Online:
All of the 5-HTP on the marketplace is free from peak X as outlined in current FDA methodology. It is identical in quality to what has been referred to as "uncontaminated" 5-HTP in previous studies. Now, Mayo researchers claim in a recent letter to the journal Nature Medicine that they have identified trace levels of "peak X" in commercially available 5-HTP using a much more sensitive laboratory technique. While the significance of peak X remains to be determined (it is not related to the major contaminants linked to EMS from contaminated tryptophan), my calculation is that it would require a dosage of roughly 10 times the highest dosage range that I recommend in my book (300 mg to 900 mg for weight loss) and over 20 times higher than the typical dosage range of 150 to 300 mg daily given for other conditions to equal the dosage levels of "peak X" given to the two small boys.
It is interesting to note that the Mayo group has raised similar concerns about the safety of melatonin, yet no reported cases of EMS due to melatonin exist to my knowledge. There have also been no reported cases of EMS due to 5-HTP use despite its growing popularity. However, just to be on the safe side and relieve any fears, for people using higher dosages of 5-HTP (greater than 300 mg daily) for longer than 3 month periods, I would recommend getting a simple blood test to measure the level of eosinophils with every three months of use.
Hope that helps a bit.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------

Thanks Big Trancer. I'd always assumed 'responsible’ companies wouldn't market contaminated products, but it is often difficult to check the credentials of online suppliers. HPLC confirmation is somewhat reassuring.
My own GP, when questioned on why L-tryptophan is still scheduled when peak X type contaminants are not present in the prescribed brand (Natures xxx), he responded that it hasn't been ruled out completely that the tryptophan itself may have been the cause of EMS. I think it was his way of saying “try what you like, you aint gonna get 500mg tabs of this one back on the shelves”

I've done a fair amount of research on the topic of E over the last 24 months, and Tryptophan popped up fairly early on - then I found out it was illegal in most of the world. I thought it was incredibly strange that an amino acid should be a scheduled substance, so I tried to find out why. It's a while ago now, but what I found out was along the lines of - there were a spate of deaths associated with it in the US, and it was scheduled, and of course the UN added it to their schedule, so countries like Oz followed suit - but it was found out that the deaths were caused by a contamination in a processing plant due to poor quality control, and not the substance itself. When I did this research it still hadn't been taken off of schedule. This could all be pure rubbish, but it was the only explanation I could find at the time.
------------------
"and he wondered if the going up was worth the coming down" - Kris Kristopherson - The Pilgrim: Chapter 33. Answer: HELL YES!

[begin conspiracy theory music]
In the fall of 1989, the FDA recalled L-Tryptophan, an amino acid nutritional supplement, stating that it caused a rare and deadly flu-like condition (Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome — EMS). On March 22, 1990, the FDA banned the public sale dietary of L-Tryptophan completely. This ban continues today. On March 26, 1990, Newsweek featured a lead article praising the virtues of the anti-depressant drug Prozac. Its multi-color cover displayed a floating, gigantic green and white capsule of Prozac with the caption: “Prozac: A Breakthrough Drug for Depression.”
The fact that the FDA ban of L-Tryptophan and the Newsweek Prozac cover story occurred within four days of each other went unnoticed by both the media and the public. Yet, to those who understand the effective properties of L-Tryptophan and Prozac, the concurrence seems “unbelievably coincidental.” The link here is the brain neurotransmitter serotonin — a biochemical nerve signal conductor. The action of Prozac and L-Tryptophan are both involved with serotonin, but in totally different ways.
[/end conspiracy theory music]
Comment as you will...

Hey, has anyone bought from here?
Seems to be an Australian mob. Any ideas if those other chemicals that are in there are all good for usage?
eg.
Each capsule contains: 5 Hydroxy Tryptophan (5HTP).........................……75 mg
Pyridoxine 5 phosphate………………....…5 mg
Thiamine hydrochloride (B1) ...……30 mg
Riboflavine B2)...............…..25 mg
Folic acid ......................100 mcg
Chromium (picolinate) ...........50 mcg
Magnesium (orotate)..............10 mg
http://www.vitaminsaustralia.com.au/prod1968.htm
thx,

Preparations containing less than 100mg of L-tryptophan are permitted to be sold OTC in Australia. Thing is you need 1000+mg to have any real impact on a 120mg dose of MDMA, and associated serotonin depletion.
I get my L-tryptophan on script from my G.P. I tell him what I use it for, and there's never a problem. It fairly expensive @ ~ $45 per 60 x 500mg tablets.
Trouble is with OTC brands, is that you're stuck with the other often unwanted ingredients. Sure they are possibly beneficial, but I like to design any multivitamin supplement from scratch, one's own formula if you like.
Although I use tryptophan in preference to 5HTP, I appreciate the limitations of the former. But there is some debate on the effectiveness of them both. Either may work for you, or neither may. The best way to lessen brain damage from MDMA is to take a smaller amount of the drug. Simple, but perhaps not as much fun for some.