• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Capital punishment

Meh...I am gonna say I don't feel sorry if a rapist is tortured in prison. Or a child molester.

I would take sadistic pleasure in torturing my rapist personally. Wanna yell at me about it? Go ahead. IDC.

Not carrying out anything IRL...fuck I did not even go to the cops with my rape.

I used my to fantasize all the time about torturing my rapist too. If he had ever faced justice and gone to prison, if he had been beaten and raped by other prisoners, I can't deny I would find it difficult to care. But that's why justice can't be decided by the victims. It's not fair to expect the victims of these monsters to be detached and impartial. And for justice to happen it has to be done impartially.

Way I see it, it's not about what they deserve. It's not about saying "they don't deserve to be tortured".

It's about everyone else, it's about what kind of society we are.

We have to be better. For justice and human rights to mean anything they have to apply to everyone.
And there is no way to justify torturing people as a form of "justice". It's not justice, it's vengeance.

I think it's completely immoral to mistreat prisoners. It doesn't matter what they've done. And it's not about them, it's about all of us. Torturing them would be a terrible reflection of our society.

It's bad enough that we do so little to stop prison rape because some people think it's part of the punishment. Which is disgusting. Noone can be sentenced to be raped. That's not a permissible punishment. And in imprisoning them we are responsible for their welfare and cannot permit vigilante justice, including by other prisoners. It's wrong.

Fair enough.

Speaking only for myself, in the past I've felt quite disturbed by just how much I hated my rapist. The degree to which I would imagine all the ways I'd liked to have made him suffer, and how much I enjoyed the idea of making him suffer as much as I could.

It felt like what he did to me had also corrupted me. Like there was evil inside me that wouldn't be there if not for him. Because I don't believe in inflicting suffering on other people.

The way I reconcile it is by believing that the system itself can not support or condone this kind of vengeance. If someone did torture their rapist, and were caught, they would have to be prosecuted (although I would hope the circumstances would be taken into account).

But at the same time, if someone did that and weren't caught. I would understand. On a personal level that is.

But there is still a world of difference between exacting vengeance on your rapist, and advocating that that violence be condoned by the state and undertaken as an actual sanctioned legal act.

The former I can understand but the latter I can not support at all.

Talking about torturing the person that commited the crime, maybe whatch "Prisoners" with Jack Hughman as lead. Some ideas for those fixated on the torture part.

Interesting (@JessFR).

A random thought:

What about letting victims choose the punishment?

I can't support that.

I support what we do in actual reality. The sentence is left up to an impartial body. The victims are invited to write up a victim impact statement, explaining their view and what they think is deserved.

The generally a judge then takes all that into account an imposes a sentence.

I can't support the victims deciding a sentence, because first I believe the only permissible sentences are those specifically provided by law. So imprisonment, house arrest, fines and others, and capital punishment if you support that. But nothing else.

And I can't support the victims deciding which of those will be used. Because it must be decided impartially. And it's not realistic or fair to expect the victims to be impartial.

So no. I can't support letting victims decide the punishment. I believe that the purpose of the justice system is to protect society. I don't believe deterrence works. Taking both of those beliefs into account I cannot support inflicting suffering for sufferings sake as a punishment. Because it's ineffective at deterring future crime, and it doesn't protect society anymore than imprisonment does.

I believe the punishments can be fines if it's a non violent low level crime, community service for more serious non violent crimes, house arrest if it's a more serious non violent and a repeat offender, imprisonment if it's violent. And MAAAAYBE the death penalty if it's violent at the highest end (like serial rapists and such) and the evidence is absolute at a level above beyond reasonable doubt.

I don't believe that last option is available in practice and I'm increasingly uncertain about supporting capital punishment at all. But it's something I have mixed feelings about.

I don't believe in penalties that inflict suffering for sufferings sake. It just be in service to the common good. If deterrence worked that'd be one thing but it seems well established that it does not.

That's what I believe.

I believe reasonable minds can disagree on the death penalty. But I have a very low opinion about people who argue in favor of torture or rape on prisoners. That's abhorrent to me. Likewise if we have a death penalty it must be painless. The purpose is to remove them from society. No more.

There are a few criminals, however, that have made the news during my lifetime that, when someone says they don't deserve to be put to death, I feel my face turning red and I can't stop myself from reacting with my opinion. One such criminal is Timothy McVeigh. I don't believe he did this alone, but his comments, his total lack of remorse, puts him on a whole different level for me. Comments like "there are always civilian casualties in war", said with a smile. And when I saw the photo of the fireman carrying out the charred body of a baby...well, yes...while McVeigh was still alive, I said I would gladly pull the switch on his electric chair. (Actually he died from lethal injection). Why I had (have) such feelings of animosity, such hatred, in this case...well I've questioned myself before about that and have come up with no answer.
You feel that way because you're human, it's totally normal and understandable, I get it and for sure can think of plenty of people I can quite easily make myself feel deserve to die, or worse.

I think it prudent to take responsibility for torture having become part of the discussion though i.e. such deviation from the topic having been triggered, so far as I can tell anyway, from my cruelty to animals post. And, well, it just continued from there. I think I agree that they're two separate issues. Possibly worthy of a separate thread.

There's just so much though (in my opinion) that even if sticking strictly to the topic of this thread that's of interest and of worthy debate.

My only criticism (not even sure I can call it that though) is to not assume that all posting here are addicts or users. I for one am not and have very different reasons for being a member here. My posts here therefore do not discern between the general audience here and the broader topic. I mention this all purely because as some have quite rightly stated (possibly even yourself I believe): certain parts of the debate would indeed, due to unfortunate societal norms (for the most part), be of consequence to the general audience here.
Thanks for your kind comments regarding my post, and fair enough about the assumption that all posting here are drug users, although for the record I wasn't necessarily assuming that. I think that (hopefully) the examples given would be accessible even to non-drug users - I just think there's a special kind of hypocrisy and absurdity in drug users, belonging to a group that is already IMO unjustly criminalised - advocating for excessively harsh legal systems.

And regarding your cruelty to animals post, I can't remember exactly what it was but I can gather, along the lines of people who are excessively cruel to animals deserve to be tortured - and I understand this too and it's hard to disagree with from a purely emotional standpoint.

Meh...I am gonna say I don't feel sorry if a rapist is tortured in prison. Or a child molester.

I would take sadistic pleasure in torturing my rapist personally. Wanna yell at me about it? Go ahead. IDC.
I guess I'm the main one who's been kinda "yelling" in this thread, but I definitely wouldn't yell at you for that, and in a hypothetical where I found out this was happening in a room nearby and had the opportunity to stop it, I'm not saying I would. I'm no paragon of moral virtue myself, and I can't say I'd feel any different had I experienced what you have.

I have fantasised about torturing and killing someone for a good few years after something happened to someone very close to me at the time. It would have been a serious logistical challenge and was, essentially, prohibitively impractical due to distance and some other factors, I don't know if this was fortuitous and I would have really gone through with it if I easily could have done, or if it was just a kind of psychological outlet, but during this time I dd hold onto the idea and believed I was just biding my time until I had the resources and the opportunity to carry it out. Eventually though with the passing of time the intensity of emotions faded and I no longer feel this way.

This obviously was a reaction to a kind of second hand trauma, not to imply that it's all that comparable to first hand trauma or to try to put myself in the same boat as those who have experienced trauma first hand, but just that I get the significance of the influence of powerful emotions. If I could be compelled to feel like this without even something directly happening to me then for sure I get why someone would feel like torturing their rapist. That said - powerful emotions corrupt our capacity to reason, which I believe happened in my case. We all have some capacity to rise above this distortion of our higher selves, but the less degrees of separation there are between ourselves and a traumatic event, the harder it is to do.

My feeling previously has been that sure, it's one thing to want to exact retribution for a specific real life event, but it's another to just dream up a bunch of vague hypothetical scenarios as reasonable excuses to personally torture someone, as has happened in this thread. But, I guess I shouldn't judge, since I don't know what's happening in anyone's internal world really, and anyone with an internal world that can be so easily moved to a desire for violent retribution I guess should be a target for compassion as well, and not harsh words, as easy as it is to do the latter.

@JessFR, have nothing to add to anything you've said but have really enjoyed reading your posts on this topic, your analyses have been admirably rational, compared to my own input where I've really let me emotions get the better of me a few times.

It's a little funny to me because I've had some heated arguments that could easily be interpreted as quite different to everything I've said here.

As most people who've followed American politics are probably aware there has been increasing difficulty in obtaining the drugs to do lethal injection.

What annoys me are the anti death penalty types who try and argue that any and all capital punishment is cruel and unusual.

I can support opposing the death penalty as a valid political viewpoint, over time I has become a view I have myself.

But I hate political deception and dishonesty. And a lot of the efforts to prevent various drugs being used for the death penalty are exactly that.

And the truth, in my opinion anyway, is that these people don't actually care about the humaneness of the death penalty at all. That's a political deception. What they care about is the perception of its humaneness. They are trying to fight the death penalty and consider deception a legitimate tactic, so they try and argue any and all method of execution is cruel, because it's easier than trying to argue that the death penalty itself is wrong

So they argue that condemned are suffering because they appear to be gasping for air to witnesses, in deliberate ignorance of the reality that these individuals are too sedated to consciously perceive anything.

It's like arguing that surgery is painful because it looks painful in spite of the fact that the persons completely unconscious.

It's bullshit. And it's why historically one of the 3 drugs used in the 3 drug cocktail was a paralytic. To keep the person from appearing to suffer, regardless of if they are actually suffering or not.

It's crap.

Sorry I know I'm going off on a tangent here, it's just this kind of dishonesty offends me. Including when it is done in service of an underlying position I actually support.

I support abolishing the death penalty in practice, but don't pretend an overdose of general anesthetics or painkillers inflicts enormous suffering.

IMO in the rapist situation...they created their own suffering if they suffer abuse or violence because of their actions against another person in regards to raping someone.

So I am not gonna sit here and feel sorry for them or defend their “rights”.

We all make choices. They chose to rape someone. If they suffer for it in any way I don’t owe compassion. Or anything.

Simple to me.
I've ducked out of this thread because most of the responses became too essay-like and i got bored so i havent read alot since my last reply a few days/pages ago, but i have briefly returned and have to agree with Audiobook here 110%

I guess this is one of those topics where we all have to agree to disagree as everyone has their own opinion.

And remember, opinions are like assholes 😂

I'd only be cool with the death penalty if Judge Judy decided who lived or died. She's usually pretty spot on.

(sorry)

*leaves thread*
In a really weird way, I'd probably bang her.
I think its the authority or something.
Can you imagine what shes like in the bedroom? 🤔

Btw on the topic of me being a pervert @Audiobook is that still that gorgeous model you had before or is that actually you now? I can't tell the difference 🤷‍♂️

Well I obviously don't support corporal punishment. I think it's illegal/inappropriate to use on adults and should be illegal to use on children but that's because I don't see where one draws the line between punishment and torture. I guess torture is supposed to hurt people to where they're incapacitated or dead, whichever comes first. I don't see the point in even speculating about it. I mean I support self-defense but I wouldn't hurt somebody for fun. It's interesting to see what you guys have to say about it though

Fair enough.

Speaking only for myself, in the past I've felt quite disturbed by just how much I hated my rapist. The degree to which I would imagine all the ways I'd liked to have made him suffer, and how much I enjoyed the idea of making him suffer as much as I could.

It felt like what he did to me had also corrupted me. Like there was evil inside me that wouldn't be there if not for him. Because I don't believe in inflicting suffering on other people.

The way I reconcile it is by believing that the system itself can not support or condone this kind of vengeance. If someone did torture their rapist, and were caught, they would have to be prosecuted (although I would hope the circumstances would be taken into account).

But at the same time, if someone did that and weren't caught. I would understand. On a personal level that is.

But there is still a world of difference between exacting vengeance on your rapist, and advocating that that violence be condoned by the state and undertaken as an actual sanctioned legal act.

The former I can understand but the latter I can not support at all.

My ex wife and I were together for a long time, 12 years, from age 18 to 30. She was emotionally and sometimes physically abusive, controlling, extremely cruel to me when she was angry, convinced me I was the problem, I hated myself, I wanted to die. It was traumatizing. To this day, if my girlfriend gets mad at me and I realize she's mad, I react really badly and it puts me right back in that place, I can't talk, I start shaking (fortunately my girlfriend is awesome and isn't the kind of person to get angry at me except in just a small handful of cases of 6 years).

Anyway, we split up, and I forgave her, I thought fondly of her though I was glad it was over. Then 5 years later when I finally served her with divorce papers after she strung me along and got me to pay health insurance and a bunch of other stuff for her for years, she totally flipped on me and tried to take me for everything I was worth, after she had never worked a day in our marriage and I had bent over backwards to be everything she wanted me to be, even after we split.

Anyway my point is, that was the only time I have ever truly hated anyone. I spent hours a day fantasizing about her suffering, about things I could say to her. It was horribly toxic, that hatred made my life so much worse. Even though it was justified, letting it go (with difficulty!) was critical for my happiness. It was eating me alive.

As far as justice, she got a bunch of my money and it was bullshit and justice was not served. But regardless it served me an important lesson about letting things go.

That said, if some fucker raped my girlfriend, I would be right back there, wishing I could make him suffer for as long as possible. But even then, I believe that hatred would be detrimental to my life

Hate is poison to the soul. It's powerful and it can be addictive, and it can be an effective coping mechanism that evolved for a good reason, but it's a poison on the moral part of ourselves and something we should never embrace.

That's my view anyway.

IMO in the rapist situation...they created their own suffering if they suffer abuse or violence because of their actions against another person in regards to raping someone.

So I am not gonna sit here and feel sorry for them or defend their “rights”.

We all make choices. They chose to rape someone. If they suffer for it in any way I don’t owe compassion. Or anything.

Simple to me.

Either everyone has rights or nobody does.

Nobody is asking or expecting you to feel sorry for them, I certainly don't. But torture, rape, these are actions that are inherently wrong. And they remain wrong no matter who they are directed towards.

Either everyone has rights or nobody does.

Nobody is asking or expecting you to feel sorry for them, I certainly don't. But torture, rape, these are actions that are inherently wrong. And they remain wrong no matter who they are directed towards.
who can judge what is wrong to those who have done wrong. because in reality they are going to hell anyway which is worse than human made punishment. So in my eyes anything is on the cards for murders for rapists because god allows so.

And I have the right to not be raped. Or hurt.

You can feel how you like about how I feel. I feel how I do for a reason. You feel how you do for a reason.

We're not gonna agree on this. It's a hard topic in general. But especially for me now.

EVERYBODY has the right not to be raped. That's my whole point here. That right is universal and can't be waved or taken away.

who can judge what is wrong to those who have done wrong. because in reality they are going to hell anyway which is worse than human made punishment. So in my eyes anything is on the cards for murders for rapists because god allows so.

Once again abuse of human rights is justified in the name of God.

This is why people detest religion so much.

Once again abuse of human rights is justified in the name of God.

This is why people detest religion so much.
not a abuse of human rights because anybody that commits those highest crimes are not even viewed as a person anymore they are evil and ought to be purified by hellfire. This is why i love islam eye for eye. Thiefs get their hands chopped off people get true justice. None of this new testament bullshit the old testament was the reality of life. to many people want to be PC in this world letting people get away with too much.

not a abuse of human rights because anybody that commits those highest crimes are not even viewed as a person anymore they are evil and ought to be purified by hellfire. This is why i love islam eye for eye. Thiefs get their hands chopped off people get true justice. None of this new testament bullshit the old testament was the reality of life. to many people want to be PC in this world letting people get away with too much.
Do to others like you would like to be done to yourself

That is the standard method used to commit abuses of human rights throughout history. By dehumanizing people.

You may not like it but they ARE human. And your desires to commit human rights abuses have no place in the modern world.

I support capital punishment in principle. Some people are so disgustingly evil that they should not be allowed to exist on this planet, if it can be arranged. I believe that some people don't deserve to live. So many innocent and good people die every year from war, and our ineffectual human systems indirectly lead to so many good people dying all the time, that I don't think it's that big of a deal that the odd psychopathic killer or rapist be put to death.

The reason why I'm against capital punishment in reality is that if one innocent person gets put to death then the system is an atrocity. Some people don't deserve to live but determining this in a way that spares innocents is difficult. Innocents dying has already been proven to happen, or almost happen. Between evidence of corrupt judges and genetic testing that sets decades-old prisoners free, the system is provably imperfect. So I don't think the State should be killing people, since no sentence is 100% certain.

The high level burden of proof of reasonable doubt is also just expensive. To remove as much reasonable doubt as possible, appeal after appeal is required, costing millions of dollars. I SUPPORT THIS because it reduces the possibility of innocents dying. Yet it is terribly cost ineffective. It's actually cheaper to lock some of these psychos away for life and throw away the key than it is to attempt to put them to death. Making it easier to put people to death would save money but would lead to atrocities, so it really should stay the way it is.

I kind of hate the legal system, in a way. If I witnessed someone killing my partner or my mother, I would simply kill them and suffer the consequences. I wouldn't need a court to determine if the original murder really happened or not. I was there, I saw it happen. That person therefore deserves to die and I will not wait for the system to figure that one out. It's kind of weird to wait for a third party authority to determine punishment in such cases, especially since the punishment is usually inadequate. The problem is when there were no witnesses, the witnesses have questionable credibility, or the evidence is iffy.

Juries are also not exactly trustworthy. Some of them are filled with total idiots. I personally know people who have been on murder trial juries and there are usually two or three ring leaders in the jury who bully others into complying with a sentence consensus because they just want their duties to be over with. They don't give two shits about the person they're sentencing, or the opposite: they give a lot of shits because they personally hate the person for some ancilliary reason, like their race or class status. People object to mob justice but juries are kind of still the mob, they are just a specially selected mob. A black person on trial for murder in the southern USA is likely to get a white majority jury and some of them are likely to be racist even if they don't declare it. And need we even talk about the judges who are biased half the time or at worst corrupt as fuck.

So yeah... the system is imperfect. Hence endless appeals. Hence wastes of money. Hence it's better to just lock them away forever.

Last edited: