• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Cant get effects of bupe while having cold/flu

AnrBjotk

Bluelighter
I've had a cold for a week now. The first few days, no difference. But since wednesday I no longer feel the bupe. Which means wds on top of a decreasing cold. Any idea why?
I thought it was the runny nose, so I took it sublingually. But runny nose has only had a small effect on the effects before. No there is barely a tinge when either snorting or slipping under the tongue.
What is going on?

And maybe the lower bioavailability of the sublingual administration compared to intranasal results in a lower absorbed dose.

Maybe try plugging your dose if thats your thing? How much Bupe are you taking usually?

And of course get well soon :)

Hopefully you are getting better soon. I thought about the dose, if that's adequate. I never thought that a flue would have such an influence over any medication of this type.
Get better soon!

Is it possible you're getting sicker?

Not really. The sore throat is gone, as is the temprature. It's def wds.
Funny thing is, the dose I take in the evening is fine. Just the one in the morning and the other at lunch that wont stick.

God, it's awful. Having to feel everything, taste everything. Actually be present in the moment and have emotions...

Being sick is very similar to withdrawals. Everytime I have a cold it feels like my subs arnt working but its just in my head...

Is it possible you're getting sicker?

seriously… snorting on under the tongue, nothing works now….
I'm about ready cut a hole in my wrists with a butcher knife* and sprinkle the dupe directly into vein* (and I wont say what else is crossing my mind in my current frame of mind).
I know there's not much to go on, but please, please help me. What can I do? It's like my nose is coated with anti-bupe paint and my mouth the same (Ok, so I've only tried to take it sublingually with it in powdered form, because, like an idiot, I pre-crush them ahead of time so I can just snort them.) Usually, I mean all the time except now, I'll snort it, feel an immediate - if only placebo - effect with the full force hitting 30 mins later.
Two days ago, when the cold first hit, I still got effect, noticed, if on nothing else, then on the nicotine crawing. Not I have barely smoked in two days.

I'm sorry. I'm losing my mind here. I had to go to work today with WDs, and I have to go tomorrow too. I can blame the cold, but I'm dying inside.

No one's experienced this? (I'm on 4mg btw)

* no trigger intended. Feel free to censor. I'm not thinking clearly.

Being sick is very similar to withdrawals. Everytime I have a cold it feels like my subs arnt working but its just in my head...

I had that the first day. But I felt a little bit of effect. Like nicotine crawing. Now I'm sitting here like a scorned lover, waiting for just a tinge of something, just a distant ecco of an effect.

I would absolutely not "feel" the effects if taken more than once every 24 hours.

I would absolutely not "feel" the effects if taken more than once every 24 hours.

what? i usually feel it every time. oh. please helpe me. Im dying!!! I've always divided the 4mg into three doses through the day. Are you saing that when taken sublingually it has to be big doses? Like 2 or 4 mg at once? (I remember feeling some effects when taking it sublingually before. Today, once again, there was only light relief of wds, but nothing else. I'm barely able to move around.)

Last edited:
Hey. I've been actually experiencing the very same thing. Every time I have cold, I need more Suboxone and then I always run out of it early. When you have cold or flu, you obviously experience pain that is not opioid withdrawal but unfortunately it may be increased due to opioid tolerance. I don't know what to tell you. Dividing doses inevitably leads to more psychological dependence because every time you dose, you expect to feel a relief. I've messed up with myself like this too, I'm at 4mg a day and I divide this into 2-3 doses and often it's not enough, buprenorphine effects actually wear off quite fast and it stays in the background forever, I often already feel mild withdrawal even though the blocking effect is still there for a very long time. I guess when this happens, it's better to increase your dose and try taking 2 doses a day at most, otherwise it's no different from taking heroin albeit much more annoying because it never really feels strong enough. When I took 8mg a day in the past, I would get much less mental cravings than I do now when I split 4mg. I hope I can increase my dose as soon as possible because my life has recently been all about having enough Suboxone...:|

If norbuprenorphine indeed is largely responsible for central opioid effects at lower doses, then it's possible that later when you keep redosing and you increase your dose, buprenorphine itself can't cover your tolerance from lower doses. There might be a dose range in which buprenorphine's partial agonistic properties are not enough to substitute for full agonistic effects of norbuprenorphine from your lower dose and overall opioid effect is paradoxically diminishing with dose increase until it raises again at a much slower rate. In my experience this dose range is actually somewhere around 4mg when you can't get more effect in a similar manner as you would going from 1mg to 2mg for instance.

Last edited: