• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis use and COVID-19.

I'm interested how much is related to smoking weed with and without tobacco? I smoke bongs and I'm so much healthier than when I smoke tobacco.

just had my weekly nurse visit yesterday (day 100 of quarantine woohoo) and my lungs/breathing were checked out w/no issues. I gave up smoking cigarettes years ago, but am still a daily (or near daily) weed user, although at the moment it’s mostly edibles. No upper or lower respiratory issues.

The general perception I get from the medical personnel I interact with is that THC smoke/vapour not only poses less of an inflammatory challenge to the body, but is actually anti inflammatory. But maybe that’s just selective perception on my part. In any event none of the medical personnel I regularly interact with consider my MJ use an issue w/regards to COVID.

Tom

just had my weekly nurse visit yesterday (day 100 of quarantine woohoo) and my lungs/breathing were checked out w/no issues. I gave up smoking cigarettes years ago, but am still a daily (or near daily) weed user, although at the moment it’s mostly edibles. No upper or lower respiratory issues.

The general perception I get from the medical personnel I interact with is that THC smoke/vapour not only poses less of an inflammatory challenge to the body, but is actually anti inflammatory. But maybe that’s just selective perception on my part. In any event none of the medical personnel I regularly interact with consider my MJ use an issue w/regards to COVID.

Tom
Thanks! I think there's more 'just weed' users nowadays but I know the science is tricky because so many people do both. I never get respiratory probs and when I smoked I was always ill with coughs, chest infections etc.

This topic has been on my mind for a while and I'm wondering how many people have changed their social using habits because of the virus. I generally only smoke/vape alone but I use to practically only smoke with others when I was younger.

These days I only have one friend who I socially use weed with and we stopped using together I believe by the beginning of April. So now, I truly don't share any paraphernalia with anyone.

I don't use weed socially at all anymore. Anyone else in the same boat?

I don't use weed socially at all anymore. Anyone else in the same boat?
I don't smoke socially either, very very rare. As I say that I remember a friend visited the other day and I gave him a hit from my bong. I cant remember the last time someone did that, I mostly smoke alone. But I didn't even think about the COVID Issue, I just forgot.l, which is really irresponsible, but I didn't. He ended up staying the night, so I didn't think about it then either (we do have a bit of an occasional thing going on), but I didn't even think about it. I was more bothered about seeing another human I get on with.

I don't smoke socially either, very very rare. As I say that I remember a friend visited the other day and I gave him a hit from my bong. I cant remember the last time someone did that, I mostly smoke alone. But I didn't even think about the COVID Issue, I just forgot.l, which is really irresponsible, but I didn't. He ended up staying the night, so I didn't think about it then either (we do have a bit of an occasional thing going on), but I didn't even think about it. I was more bothered about seeing another human I get on with.
I understand some places in the world (I don't know if this applies to you) have seen a flattening of the curve so those places are able to take more risks but from what I gather the US is largely in trouble with it.

I had a chance last week to smoke up with someone I just met. It was REEEEEAALLY tempting.

We got caught in a crazy thunderstorm in an underpass together and he decides to pack a bowl. Well, from 6 feet away I could still smell that funky goodness. That was some serious willpower I didn't know I had. He was ready to share it with me and I didn't do it...

I understand some places in the world (I don't know if this applies to you) have seen a flattening of the curve so those places are able to take more risks but from what I gather the US is largely in trouble with it.
No, I'm UK, I think we are one of the worst ! I'm actually technically only allowed one person near me, but in my defence, I've been out about 6 times since March, seeing no one is doing my nut in.

Next time I'm just gonna bring my own supply

tenor.gif

@wo1fg4ng - it’s been a while since none has been in my house (a year or more, not counting deliveries or medical personnel) and had weed. I provided people with their own bong and ISO wipes to clean off the mouth part of the glass. Or I’d offer them their own pre-rolls. Or they could roll their own but I wouldn’t share. I got in the habit of ‘not sharing’ a long time ago.And now? Nah, I can afford to give people joints to smoke at the same time I am.

Canada has ‘flattened the curve’ but no one is wearing a mask. Jeez, even a pharmacy delivery yesterday- no mask. And Uber eats or Grubhub - no mask. Sometimes the weed delivery guy is wearing a mask and sometimes not.

But, shit....I’ve been following infection and hospitalization rates since the beginning; it doesn’t look as if Canada is opening up it’s border to the US anytime soon 😟

Maybe I’m being negative but I think this is out of control and going to get much worse. Economy is fucked. people are going to start losing houses. Businesses are going to shutter up and go bankrupt.

Tom

@Alex Parker - Cannabis may help with anti-inflammatory effects; but the exact science isn’t nailed down yet. There hasn’t been a failure to make a COVID vaccine (yet). I think an English vaccine trial has entered phase III. It takes time, and lots of it, to make a definable vaccine.

In 4th year microbiology it took students 3 months to provoke a repeatable immune response in rabbits (to Horse serum) and we were cutting every corner we could.

Tom

Very true. I am really asking about oral use of marijuana.

I make edibles for a few cancer patients that were friends with my mother before she passed from cancer. They have found THC to be the only bright spot in their treatment. Most prefer smoking vs edibles because it arrives now. They have been informed that marijuana use (no caveat regarding method) will make them more likely to contact Covid19. Due to the underlying psychedelic effects of using marijuana as a edible they are hesitant to switch but thought edibles might be safer, until they were told otherwise by a half informed clinic staff member.

I'm hoping someone here can point me to real information that has experience and medical understanding behind it.
It depends on the use. One blazy susan user has a wife that has asthma and you would think the smoke would harm her. Instead, it's the fastest delivery system to her lungs and sh actually breaths better!

My thinking is any negative effects of the cannabis use can be counteracted by being as careful as possible 24/7 plus masking in public. Impacted immune system or no, if the virus doesn't get in in the first place it's gonna have a hard time spreading through the body.

i'm sort of drunk, though, someone science me in the ass if that logic is flawed 🤥🥴
Yeah its best to mask up in the first place!

Oh, now that's funny as i didn't remember posting it and now i do:

...promoting secretions mobility...

M'well i still think secretions being the body's natural way of defense (by flushing out external pathogens) then ain't it beneficial whenever noses start getting congested from cannabis exposure?

After a blood test, I have slightly elevated white blood cells count, and am bruising easily now. They think nothing is wrong, but it makes me wonder. Daily heavy use for 30+ years now. Last 6 years vaping only/edibles.

Strange I have not found one weed smoker that has caught covid. Though they meet with others n share bongs. I thought I woulda heard a lot of covid amongst weed smokers. Other than that the smoking alone would make you more suseptable to covid. For some reason Theres no Nancy Reagan to use this as a drug war weapon. I also wondered weather those few that died from vaping.. actually were spme of the first to die from covid. Just some thoughts on it.

Salutations KnightWorrier,

...no Nancy Reagan to use this as a drug war weapon...

M'well, i vaguely remember this month on national canuck French-speaking TV, via its main daily news bulletin hearing Céline Galipeau doing pretty much just that - under the form of some typical twisted juxtaposition involving out-of-comparison (real...) socio-toxic risks to Public Health, as alcohol & tobaco for starters, and yet the positions relative to a common sense of proportions vs repercussions seems severely distorted (actually reversed) the instant "marijuana" and its adepts can be shamed publicly at everyone's expense.

Too bad i ain't able to get more specific, all i can tell is that she aligned a number of CoViD-19 risk factors and put cannabis right in the middle as if such statement sounded obvious... Multiple references to the opioïds crisis were made if i'm not mistaking, i was also left with an impression that "ADDICTION" could as well been the common enemy. So these days SRC's "spe¢iali$ts"/"expert$" appear to expect the populace/audience NOT to even want to question their official premise that it's fair to mention true physical "ADDICTION" (to a legal drug as alcohol, for example...) and include consumption dosing issues strictly related to cannabis. Mass-media was quick to skip such debates and take for granted that very different situations as this may somehow still fit nicely in a same sentence pointing the public opinion's accusating finger at "stoner$"/"droÿé$" endangering the world, euh... Because all those people are necessarily "sick", right?, and hence must pose a critical Public Health threat similar to needles exchange, or just seek the comforting heat of public constructions, whatever. At least that's how it sounded, kind of blaming the "buzz" of Trudeau's mari-caca altogether with effects hardly comparable.

Overall my version (after searching in vain for an on-line record...) boils down to the classic "Drug-Free World" propaganda/utopia, basically warning a vulnerable population to fear "ADDICTS" because they represent a most dangerous virus transmission vector quite capable of bringing our hospitals on their knees while also threatening lives in everyone's families. Etc., etc. Quite a charming TV moment, especially if inhaling Kosher Zyklon at a rebate black-market price! Euh...

And i wasn't even really paying attention until i sensed that hypocryte sting. :rolleyes:

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

I was refused early vaccine that is offered to Tobacco smokers at Kaiser Permanente Medical Group as they are seen as "high risk." My Doctor told me that Cannabis doesn't have the same detrimental effect on the lungs. So, I assume this is the opinion of one of the largest non-profit medical groups in America. They serve 1/5 of California.

Strange I have not found one weed smoker that has caught covid. Though they meet with others n share bongs. I thought I woulda heard a lot of covid amongst weed smokers. Other than that the smoking alone would make you more suseptable to covid. For some reason Theres no Nancy Reagan to use this as a drug war weapon. I also wondered weather those few that died from vaping.. actually were spme of the first to die from covid. Just some thoughts on it.

Dude - i was just about to post the same thing, i know a lot of smokers and i still don't know 1 who's caught covid - crazy right?

Do not share pipes, bongs, joints, etc.

Stay socially distant, THC or cannabis is supposed to be beneficial but if you stay up all night stoned, eat poorly, or overdo it or combine with other drugs it is not good for the immune system.

I was refused early vaccine that is offered to Tobacco smokers at Kaiser Permanente Medical Group as they are seen as "high risk." My Doctor told me that Cannabis doesn't have the same detrimental effect on the lungs. So, I assume this is the opinion of one of the largest non-profit medical groups in America. They serve 1/5 of California.
Hmm if you said you are a "smoker" on the application or screening, why did they refuse you? Or did you tell them you do not smoke tobacco or never have?