Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cannabis Caution?

jeetskii

Greenlighter
Hey all, I live in Sydney NSW. On Tuesday I was caught by the cops with a vaporizer on me (no weed or anything), but they made me answer a series of questions which the guy wrote down in a small book. I've never had any run-ins with the law before. So since I had to admit that I used it for weed he said he was giving me a cannabis caution. I was told that because I was under 18 they have to ring up my parents and come to my house, read out the questions and my answers in front of them, and then my parents (or a responsible adult) have to take me to the station to receive the caution. My question is, they said they'd be calling up next week, but I turn 18 on Sunday. Since I will be 18 next week, would I be able to go and get the caution myself without my parents knowing? Or do they still have to come to my house because the offence was committed when I was 17? Would they even bother calling up or were they just trying to scare me? They weren't the local cops, they were police from another suburb like 20 minutes away.

So since I had to admit that I used it for weed he said he was giving me a cannabis caution.

You didn't have to admit anything, you talked yourself right into their hands.

There is no way to really answer your question as it's up to the officers involved, however, you were caught while under 18 so they'd probably still call your parents even if you did rock up at the station.

You didn't have to admit anything, you talked yourself right into their hands.

There is no way to really answer your question as it's up to the officers involved, however, you were caught while under 18 so they'd probably still call your parents even if you did rock up at the station.

Yea I know... Initially I said no, but then he told me if he didn't think I was being honest he'd charge me instead of giving me a caution..So basically I had to give him the answers he wanted even if it wasn't the truth

Uh no, that's the way cops work. They'll threaten a confession out of you. Did they have equipment to tell that it was used for cannabis with them? No. You should have just stuck with your first response. Their next threat would have been that they would contact your parents. You still had the right to refuse unless they were arresting you.

Damn haha, guess it was my fault :( it was my first time and i was blazed so i was scared shitless

Fear is your worst enemy.

I'd fess up to your parents, you weren't caught with any drugs on you and it's only a caution. Better than them hearing it from a cop and finding out you were hiding it.

True, the thing is they caught me about a week ago and I promised I wouldn't do it again, so I don't really want them finding out. Which is why I'm hoping that they won't be bothered to call over such a small thing, or I can go and get the caution myself (I know the chances are very slim). I will probably end up confessing if I'm convinced there's nothing I can do.

I'd personally wait for the call. It seems strange to me that they're gonna caution you for having no weed on you. It's not illegal to have drugs in your system only to having drugs on your possession as far as I know. So what would the actual caution be for? Use of cannabis? I don't think that's breaking the law so the caution would be pointless except to get you in trouble with your parents. I'm not a lawyer it just seems more likely that they want to scare you out of further drug use. It sucks heaps if they do tell your parents, not that being honest about drug use is a bad thing. But it depends on the family. I'm 24 and still have no intention of telling my parents that I use drugs (let alone how often) because A: It's none of their business and B: They are very naive' about drugs and would most likely try to punish me or get me to see someone about use even though there is nothing wrong about my level of use and I have no intention of reducing my use and C: They would judge me heavily me for it and even though they would be in the wrong it wouldn't make a difference.

How did they find the Vape anyway? Did they just see you in public with it? Also one additional point is that Vaporizers are commonly used for tobacco and legal herbs, in the unlikely situation that you get busted for this again tell them that you use it for legal products such as tobacco and they will have nothing to caution or charge you with.

Best of luck and Please update with how this goes, I'm very curious to see how it plays out for you.

Also, welcome to bluelight, if you are ever interested in other drugs I can not recommend this site enough, there's a wealth of knowledge of people on here to ensure your safety in recreational use.

When he admitted the vape was used for cannabis it fell under the paraphernalia laws. Because there were no drugs he got a caution (also first offense)

How did they find the Vape anyway? Did they just see you in public with it?

Actually that's a good point. AFAIK the police can only randomly search people in the street in certain parts of Victoria.

When he admitted the vape was used for cannabis it fell under the paraphernalia laws. Because there were no drugs he got a caution (also first offense)

Actually that's a good point. AFAIK the police can only randomly search people in the street in certain parts of Victoria.

Yeah forgot about the paraphernalia laws,
It's true in Victoria and I think Queensland they can randomly search anyone, it was introduced to search for weapons but I have on doubt that it primarily targets drug users. I guess the fact that he was "blazed" may have been a give away for them to want to search.

Best of luck jeetski

I guess the fact that he was "blazed" may have been a give away for them to want to search.

Yeah or they may have used a sniffer dog who reacted to the vap, he/she didn't really say I don't think. I'm not too sure of the laws regarding searching people in NSW, but I would guess the police could make up any sort of shit they wont to search someone (if there was no sniffer dog involved) like if jeetskii was hanging out someplace with friends or even alone the police may state they had reason to believe drug use or dealing had occurred or were searching for weapons or spray paint/markers or there had been shoplifting going on etc etc...

Maybe jeetskii could tell us why they came to search him/her?

Not that it really matters, and my guess would be that you turning 18 on sunday wouldn't make any difference, it happened when you were 17 so they will need to involve parents/guardian etc. And I would presume they will follow through with it, but if your parents already know about your prior cannabis use then hopefully they wont react too badly, but it's never a good look having the cops come over and have to go through all that bullshit.

Hope it all goes ok.

I thought that you could be treated as an adult from 17 and 9 months. Then again I dont claim to have a great understanding of the law.

Thanks for the replies, I was sitting at a park bench when they came, and they said they smelled bong water (which was bullshit) and just searched me. There was so many things I could do to get out of the situation but being my first time I went full retard and told them the truth lol. When/if my parents find out they won't understand at all, they think weed is a "hard" drug and is bad for you. Would it help to call up the station when I'm 18 and see if I can get the caution myself? Would the police appreciate me being honest and going to them first?

Thanks for the reply. Sux that your parents think of it as a hard drug and they wont understand.

Yeah it might help to communicate with the cops about it, maybe you might get someone who is ok about it, or maybe they might have to follow some shitty protocol where as they have to inform your parents because you were under age at the time. Not that I really know shit, i'm only guessing, they might not even follow it up for all i know, but they probably should if they follow protocol etc. Sadly.

I guess you could try telling your parents some shit after the cop(s) come and go about you didn't smoke any, it was your mates vap and you just had it on you whilst he was skating or something? And try and let them know you were not actually caught with (or had) any weed on you.

Last edited:
I'd take a gamble that if you or your parents haven't heard anything by now then its unlikely you will. That whole call parents/read out questions/shame son (or daughter) stuff reeks to me of bullshit.

Personally I would wait for that call, something about this situation seems pretty damn weird to me. I can't say I am super up to date with the laws but while I know you can get a cannabis caution for possession of cannabis I thought paraphernilia laws were different and it wasn't a cautioning system. I do see where that wouldn't make much sense that having an instrument for consuming cannabis could lead to more trouble than possession of cannabis but these laws aren't exactly grounded in logic either.

I don't really see why it would matter that you were under 18 when you committed the crime if they weren't prudent enough to make a five or ten minute phonecall in the week they had before you turned 18. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was the case for bureaucratic reasons but if it was that important it seems to me they would of got to it already. There might even be a chance they fucked up a bit by not and don't want to bring it up over such a minor charge.

You make it sound like telling your parents won't bode well for you regardless, so I don't see why you would dob yourself in to potentially alleviate some small level of grief but be guaranteed to be busted, over taking a gamble that it might not happen and not copping it that much worse if it does anyway.

I can't say I am super up to date with the laws but while I know you can get a cannabis caution for possession of cannabis I thought paraphernilia laws were different and it wasn't a cautioning system.

I got my cannabis caution for paraphernalia a few months ago and they gave me the caution and subsequent drug therapy appointment on the spot. Granted there were other reasons surrounding them searching my house, but I think paraphernalia is standard Australia wide.

Gotta love the cops and their millions of brilliant psychological tactics to trick people. I can't help but somewhat admire the diabolical brilliance of it.

You make it sound like telling your parents won't bode well for you regardless, so I don't see why you would dob yourself in to potentially alleviate some small level of grief but be guaranteed to be busted, over taking a gamble that it might not happen and not copping it that much worse if it does anyway.
Yea but if I call up and am able to get the caution myself, my parents won't know and it won't go on my record so I can pretend it never happened. (I don't think I'll be dumb enough to get another caution - I won't be going in public with weed or paraphernalia on me)

Yea but if I call up and am able to get the caution myself, my parents won't know and it won't go on my record so I can pretend it never happened. (I don't think I'll be dumb enough to get another caution - I won't be going in public with weed or paraphernalia on me)

It will always be on your Police record - for life. You may be thinking of your criminal record.