• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Drug decriminalization movement gaining momentum in Canada as overdose deaths surge

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Drug decriminalization movement gaining momentum in Canada as overdose deaths surge
Lauren Pelley
CBC
September 29th, 2021

As overdose deaths keep surging in Canada, the movement to decriminalize illicit drugs is gaining steam, with one of the country's largest mental health facilities joining national advocates and several major cities in putting pressure on the federal government to act.

Earlier this summer, mayors from across B.C. signed a letter in support of Vancouver city officials who are seeking Health Canada's approval to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of illegal drugs.

Toronto is gearing up to submit a similar request, a move which follows the city recently hitting its highest one-day opioid overdose count in late July.

Now, the country's largest mental health teaching hospital, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) in Toronto, is for the first time formally pushing for countrywide drug decriminalization as well, CBC News has learned.

In a new policy statement being released publicly on Wednesday, the hospital is calling on the federal government to decriminalize all drugs while working with the provinces to ramp up treatment and harm-reduction services and replace the "unregulated, toxic drug supply."

Read the full story here.

Canada’s on the verge of a major set of changes quick and then eventually a settling of this issue for the better. It’s a long battle. I’m so proud to be a part of it.

My online vendor now collects and pays GST which is um, interesting. Especially considering they have expanded from offering only mushrooms to offering LSD and DMT as well.
I guess they figure they won't be shut down if they collect and pay sales tax.

Or is what they're doing legal now? It's like the pandemic rules....I don't even know what the rules are anymore.