• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Can you switch from 6mil methadone to subutex after 24 hours

Gordon

Bluelighter
I have been taking methadone for the last 3 months, always below 20mils, weened myself to 6mils with a doc/key worker, but I missed the pharmacy 3 days in a row (even though it was for an older script) but I had some spare methadone andd that is finished, last dose was 24 hours ago, feeling a bit rough, got some subutex, was wondering if I should start off with 0.8mgs of subutext, any experience and opinions on this issue?

thanks.

Methadone has a very long half life. I would wait atleast 2 days to be safe. Precipitated WD sucks.

No. You will need to wait 3-7 days depending on your mg dose. Methadone to sub is a notoriously difficult transition.

No. You will need to wait 3-7 days depending on your mg dose. Methadone to sub is a notoriously difficult transition.

Concurred. With methadone's long half life, you really have to wait until you are deeeeeeeep into withdrawal to dose the sub. I was reading another post by someone who claimed to have waited 72 hours (I think) since their last dose of methadone, took 8mg sub, went into precipitated withdrawal, took another 8mg sub, and still lingering in precipitated withdrawal for hours after.

Methadone just has too long of an elimination half life. Wait. It'll be worth it.

Thanks guys, but I knew about the waiting game, but I believed that applied to folks who have been on long term meth at high doses. I was on methadone under 20mils and weaned in 3 months to 6/5 mils, I skipped some days by taking codeine. Anyway I went ahead and took the subutex about 6 hours ago, so far no withdrawals, if anything the 0.8mg of sub eliminated any minor symptoms I had, is this a good sign? should I not be in PW by now? am I in the clear and good to go to use subutex for a 2/3 week taper in order to have a softer landing?

thanks once again everyone!

Yeah if you dosed buprenorphine 6 hours ago and are not in the depths of acute withdrawal, you're fine, I'm fairly certain. Precipitated withdrawal would have kicked in within 30-40 minutes of your dosing the sub.

Yeah if you dosed buprenorphine 6 hours ago and are not in the depths of acute withdrawal, you're fine, I'm fairly certain. Precipitated withdrawal would have kicked in within 30-40 minutes of your dosing the sub.

That is what am thinking as well, surely by now I would have PW. It goes to show everyone is different indeed. Can excercise be a factor? for he last 6 months I've been playing sports almost daily, so perhaps that helped, maybe cutting out the half life? anyway Ive taken 0.8mg good 6 hours ago, and feel alright, it took away any symtoms from the methadone I had. Hopefully all goes as planned so I can use the rest of the subs (low doses and taper) for a few weeks to adapt to reality and get the meth out of my system.

be very careful with subutex. She is a tough but fair mistress. After cessation of use, the withdrawal does not get bad for about 2 1/2-3 days. So plan accordingly.