View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can you get 'bad quality' mushrooms?

terarc

Bluelighter
Ok so first off, this could just be a case of bad set and setting, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Myself and two others took some mushrooms yesterday, the strain was p. cubensis 'Ecuador'. My girlfriend and I are pretty experience with psychedelics, I've used B+ cubensis twice before, p. semilanceata once, LSD twice, 2C-B seven times, mescaline three times, 4-AcO-DMT twice, and MDMA about ten times (doses usually at about 'standard' level, 2.5g shrooms, 150mics acid, 20mg 2cb etc), my girlfriend similar but a little less. Our tripping buddy had tripped a low dose of semilanceata once before, has used quite a bit of MDMA and has done bk-2C-B twice.

The mushrooms we got were ground to a powder and mixed with cranberry juice, only 1.75g each (we had a nice trippy and introspective buzz off a gram of semilanceata last week and wanted to get a similar experience just turned up a notch), we vaped a small amount of hashish and had a few balloons of nitrous oxide then we all downed the mixture at about 4pm. The first weird thing I noticed was after another balloon I felt the first mushroom effects, only 10 minutes after ingestion, and after another 30-40 minutes it seemed to be at its peak. I get come up anxiety normally but the trip itself felt very strange, I was extremely confused and couldn't really string sentences together, I also had the very confusing feeling of being kind of sober while at the same time tripping very intensely. I kept cycling through waves of sobriety, confusion, anxiety, nausea, etc.. My girlfriend became very confused and seemed to forget who and were she was, she kept standing and staring into space, sitting in strange positions, myself and my friend were doing this also but not quite as bad. She was also gurning somewhat and clenching/stretching her jaw almost as if she'd taken MDMA. I also had a similar mental feeling to when I have had negative experiences on MDMA. It felt like I had been poisoned/become kind of delirious. Anyway eventually I became very concerned about my girlfriend and gave her an etizolam 1mg which calmed her somewhat, I eventually took one too. Our other friend said he was having a good time although on a fine line between freaking out due to the confusion. He went to see another friend briefly while we both calmed down with another sober friend who had brought some diazepam. At about 6pm our other tripping buddy came back and the effects seemed to be mostly wearing off for us, which seemed strange considering we'd only dosed two hours earlier. Anxiety seemed to be returning so we each took 2.5mg diazepam and finally managed to relax. We were mostly fine after that but my girlfriend felt a bit mentally traumatised from the experience.

So basically I'm wondering if you can get 'bad' mushrooms? That could make you feel ill/poisoned in this kind of way? The lack of ability to think coherently or put words together made it feel as if I'd consumed something toxic. Of course it could be just a bad set/setting and therefore bad trip, but I've had one very bad trip before on 2.5g of cubensis and although it was terrifying I was still able to think and process the experience while it was happening, where in this case I felt too ill and confused to process anything if that makes sense. Also everyone that took them experienced similar effects. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Edit: the mushrooms came powdered btw, I didn't powder them myself

Last edited:
Your post indicated that you had tripped just one week prior to this experience. So my immediate thought is that it sounds like you're taking too many hallucinogens too frequently. Especially when you say you were cycling between feeling sober and tripping intensely. That's exactly the kind of experience I associate with tripping too much.

Thanks for the input. That could make sense actually, I took a gram of semilanceata last week and 10mg of psilacetin just over a week prior, and some more psilacetin about a month before that, same with my girlfriend. Prior to that it'd been at least 3 months or so since I'd tripped, and before that almost a year. Doesn't explain why my friend who hadn't tripped in over a year felt similar though? Although I guess he didn't have a negative experience exactly like we did. He has done a lot of MD recently too which could affect it I guess.

Sure, I reckon you can get 'bad quality" mushrooms. Why not?

Thanks for the input. That could make sense actually, I took a gram of semilanceata last week and 10mg of psilacetin just over a week prior, and some more psilacetin about a month before that, same with my girlfriend. Prior to that it'd been at least 3 months or so since I'd tripped, and before that almost a year. Doesn't explain why my friend who hadn't tripped in over a year felt similar though? Although I guess he didn't have a negative experience exactly like we did. He has done a lot of MD recently too which could affect it I guess.

Hm, that's not actually too bad of frequency, though it still could have played a role in the experience lackig that thing that puts the "magic" in magic mushrooms. It is possible material was degraded or moldy, I have run across that before---that could explain why they were powdered. And if they gave your metablocic system some hell as a Result that can definitely account for the darker psychological aspects to some degree (the physical and the mental being so intertwined). But there's no way for us to know that.

Yeah I do realise it's pretty difficult to diagnose the exact issue here. They came powdered as they were ordered from a dark net vendor, and then being in powder form allowed better stealth for the shipping of them. I guess I'll just avoid that particular guy for shrooms in the future. Thanks for the help anyway :)

Yes you can get mushrooms that are perhaps dried way too late, like after they got moldy and mycotoxins were formed. But that would be a very idiotic thing to do for a mushroom grower, and therefore rare.

Mushroom tissue can irritate the stomach and makes some people ill to their guts, I believe it is the fibers that are hard to digest. Should not really happen with mushroom powder, but mostly with mushrooms that are fresh or merely dried. Then again mild grinding does not destroy the fibers entirely, probably..

Confusing mental effects and ideas of being poisoned seem more like mental and psychosomatic effects to me, and not explained by any of the above. Taking too many different drugs, or in the wrong mindset or setting could make that happen..

Try blaming a batch after it being used a significant number of times / by many different people - and even then physical effects should be present for real poisoning. Freaking out is more something to occur from being improperly prepared and not handling the drugs well.
I personally find mushrooms one of the most anxiogenic / confusion / mindfucking / freak-out psychedelics I tried and I have taken them a lot of times since they used to be the main type I could get (buy legally in smartshops here in the netherlands) before I explored other psychedelics that became available.

I think they are interesting and fun to grow, but too weird, mysterious and forceful for me.

they are fungus and fungus can rot and rotten food + trip =very negative trip. done it myself

my worst trip ever on non dried rotten shrooms

set and setting = slow poison is both a bad set and setting