• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Can the alcohol just be boiled off of dxm syrup? + extraction question

Tieeurrrop

Bluelighter
Call me a hypochondriac but I get worried even taking small amounts of that known toxic substance (alcohol). So can I just boil it off from the dxm?

I looked into the extraction methods and even the 'agent orange' supposedly the easiest method seems rather involved dealing with ammonia which can be dangerous to the eyes it says, and lungs if inhaled (I live in an apartment block which would make it troublesome to deal with these things in the close environment) as well as naphtha which is highly flammable.

And before you say it 'buy the cough sweets' we don't have them here. There is only the cough syrup. Having to get all that other equipment kind of defeats the purpose of getting otc cough stuff because I would have to go online to buy that stuff to extract it anyway (for the ammonia at least most likely)

There is no easier way than that or is there?

So since the alcohol and its toxicity is the main thing that concerns me (although it would be nice to get the other stuff out but I didn't see a non circuitous way to do it) can I just put the syrup in a pan an boil away the alcohol? How will I know when its gone if so?

If you have any better suggestions for proper extraction I am open to it but I didn't see anything on my searches. Is that really as easy as it is gonna get (naphtha and ammonia?) Oh btw I was thinking could I just use my own urine to replace the ammonia part as I read that that contains ammonia? because I know that they say urine is already sterile and that is why some people can drink it in a pinch but would it not contain enough ammonia to extract properly?

Last edited:
don’t pee in your cough syrup. boiling off sounds more logical.

dxm cough syrup doesn’t have alcohol here. is there a children’s version where ever you’re at maybe that’s alcohol free?

I don't think you have to worry about alcohol toxicity. And if you are, perhaps DXM would protect against that.