• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can high doses of caffeine cause seizures?

nancy145

Bluelighter
I have severe motivation problems and sleep disorders and need stimulants medicinally for it, but I just started seeing a new psychiatrist who took me off adderall and put me on nuvigal to see if it works instead. It doesn't help nearly enough, so I've been using 800-1500 mg of caffeine a day. I heard somewhere that high doses of caffeine can cause seizures, but I'm not sure if it's true. Does anyone know if it does?

yes extremely high doses can cause convulsions. This is a sign of caffiene overdose.

- my two cents - talk to your doc and tell them you are taking that much caffiene to remain motivated and awake. they will likely increase the dose of nuvigil or put you on a stronger stimulant. that much caffiene will likely fuck you up more, than do you any good. If i were a doctor, I would not hesitate to increase the dosage of a prescription stimulant to help you discontinue taking that much caffiene. That much caffiene is likely to make you more prone to psychosis, anxiety, and insomnia than an increased dosage of nuvigil or a stronger stimulant.

I.E. it would be in their and your best interest to use a stronger prescription stimulant, than use that much caffiene, because the prescription stimulant will likely cause much fewer side effects than the caffiene will.

I once drank thirteen red bulls after each other and started convulsing and having close to an epileptic seizure. But i am very very very sensitive to caffeine. I get already nervous from deca coffee. Its not placebo. I believe they dont filter it perfectly.

Yes, i know it was very stupid of me.

I once drank thirteen red bulls after each other and started convulsing and having close to an epileptic seizure. But i am very very very sensitive to caffeine. I get already nervous from deca coffee. Its not placebo. I believe they dont filter it perfectly.

You're sensitive to caffeine but drank 13 Redbulls in a row? Uhh wtf lol that's so bizarre

I consume 1.4 grams of caffeine a day. It is important to take into account how spread out is the caffeine.

Caffeine is rapidly metabolized to theophylline theobromine and xanthanine? (I don't remember exactly)

The half life of caffeine on average is like 3 to 4 hours.

Therefore if say you consume 600 mg at 6 am 200 mg at 10 am 200 mg at 2 pm 200 mg at 6 pm and 200 mg at 10 pm

This is vastly different then drinking 1400 mg at once.

Also, just because someone has a seizure at a certain dose does not mean the majority will or that necessarily therefore noone should ever consume that dose. For example my sister took a theraputic dose of wellbutrin and had a seizure. Based that such logic since she had a seizure noone should ever take that dose.

caffeine lethal dose?

I borderline abuse caffeine and take extremely high doses of it, 800-1800 mg a day, and would like to know the lowest potentially lethal dose of it so i dont end up in the hospital or dead. I wanna know the dose assuming no tolerance, and then i'll factor in my tolerance to that answer

Most people say (and I totally agree with this) you should not take over 200 mg.
But with tolerance you can go much higher. Rich Piana (Hardcore-Steroid-Bodybuilder) takes 4 g (PLEASE DON´T DO THAT!!!) !!!!
Everyone is differiert so I think there is no clear answer to this question!

I think most drugs could cause a seizure in a sufficiently high dose i.e an actual medical overdose, but whether they're likely to cause them at a regular dose for a regular person is a totally different thing. I've personally never heard of caffeine causing a seizure... and the majority of people drink it daily.

At sixth form in school I took a load of 50mg caffeine tablets (pro plus/freely available in any supermarket). I think the idea was probably to get a load of coursework done, but instead me and my mate sat in the social area shaking.

I've had seizures and been on the verge of seizures and they were nothing alike to this. I was shaking due to what felt like typical anxiety and overstimulation from indulging in far too much of a stimulant.

Not saying you didn't almost have one, but just pointing out that this might be closer to what actually happened.

Good morning god damn it it's rich piannna here with another addition of smaller by the day. Got to confuse the heart muscle right babe ?

You're sensitive to caffeine but drank 13 Redbulls in a row? Uhh wtf lol that's so bizarre
How is that even nearly possible? I mean I once drunk 3 monsters=1.5 lt and felt like my hurt was gonna break. Not that much because of cafein but mostly because of taurine.

I get sick from energy drinks and milky sweatened coffee much much faster then from caffeine pills or black coffee. TBH at the amount of caffeine you'd likely to be exposed to atless your chugging coffee or redbulls deliberately with the drive of a freshmen in college with a twenty four back of beer than the sugar is the number one risk to your health. Sugar is consistently shown to play a role in the increasingly common blood pressure and cardiovascular issues and arguably over time in excess like ethanol causes damage to almost every organ of the body.

(now if only I could follow my own advice instead of eating all these donuts)

I probably drink 600-800mg of caffeine per day (coffee and sometimes energy drinks). Not sure why, the shit is oddly addictive though it only contributes to my anxious/paranoid tendencies and never really does anything good for me whatsoever. I should probably just not even keep coffee in the house. Then in the evening when I'm done with my work, the lingering jitters from the caffeine usually makes me want to take the edge off by drinking beer every night....... which sporadically results in me getting completely shitfaced by myself from time to time. On one occasion, I drank a particularly large amount of caffeine and noticed that I had an odd twitch in my hand that day. So, it wouldn't surprise me if larger amounts could cause more serious issues.

Last edited:
Do they contain sugar i liked the sugar taste of energy drinks thats why i drank them over say nodoz pills

However just consider the possibity you don't realy need all this stimulation from both your prescribed stim and all this caffein and maybe you get your self addicted for no reason.

O Im totally addicted. If I had to choose between coffee and females I'd choose coffee

^I was talking to the o.p. to be honest but hell, how is that even possible. I wouldn't choose any substance over sex, and especially coffee, it's nice but it ain't that much of a pleasurefull expirience to prefer it over females. I mean, don't you have any testosterone in you?

Depends, I was once drinking 36 diet pepsi cans a day and literally couldn't tell any effect.