• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Can famotidine potentiate Adderall?

roadrunning

Greenlighter
Does anyone know if it's possible that famotidine can potentiate Adderall since it inhibits stomach acid production? I have been prescribed adderall for years for add and recently started taking duexis (ibuprofen and famotidine) for back pain and noticed that my usual 20mg IR dose has been lasting a lot longer. It looks like cimetidine, which is also a histamine H2-receptor antagonist like famotidine, potentiates a lot of other drugs, but I couldn't find anything about famotidine.
Any help would be great.

It is possible but unlikely. Famotidine doesnt inhibit liver enzymes nearly at all, unlike cimetidine but that really isnt the issue with Adderall. Strong acid reducing drugs (proton pump inhibitors) have been shown to slighty decrease the time to maximum concentration but not increase the max concentration or duration. It is because decreased acidity in the stomach increases absorbtion that this occurs, not from inhibiting the metabolism so I guess famotidine may have similar effects, but I doubt it would be noticeable.