• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Can Aussie GPs/doctors prescribe alprazolam or clonazepam?

i'd be surprised. i only got clonazepam from a neurologist. you might be able to get one off scripts but nothing ongoing

i'd be surprised. i only got clonazepam from a neurologist. you might be able to get one off scripts but nothing ongoing

For your clonazepam, do you have epilepsy or something? Or is it for anxiety?

I know GPs can prescribe diazepam/valium, because I got prescribed in the past.

normal GP's dont usually prescribe em, u gotta see psychiatrist for those more heavy set bennys i believe :)

They certainly can prescribe them and do.

However, xanax is one of the harder things to prescribe and your not going to walk into a doctors office whom has never seen you before and get a script. It would take a while for them to be familiar with your problem, and to have tried other medications first before they would prescribe it.

With a psychiatrist you might get it quicker if they seem to think you need it.

My mother had a major issue with anxiety (not going get into it, death in the family as well as someone else threatening to commit suicide).

Apparently the doctor tried to ring the Authority number 3 times, but couldnt get though, so she contacted the other doctor at the surgery and they did something.
Point is, my mother walked out with a "Private" prescription for Alprazolam 50 2mgs (Xanax Tri Bar) along with 2 repeats.

Honestly I was stunned, given she'd never seen that doctor before and would generally agree with the above post, but my mother was genuinely having a breakdown, although I was a little surprised they prescribed Alprazolam (I'm not a expert, I dunno), so maybe she said something (she's been taking Temazepam for 7 years now).
All I know is she's taken about 4 of the tablets (broken them in half each time) and has stopped, taking them and said they did help her but she didn't want to get reliant on them (she has a bad opinion of Xanax, she didn't even know it was Xanax until I told her Alprazolam is Xanax) and gave the bottle and scripts to me... >_>

Edit: Reason she gave them to me is due to the fact that I do take the tablets.
I dunno, depends on the doctor you get, I'm very happy with my current doctor, and she dishes virtually anything out (Oxycontin 40mgs recently, though a am in a lot of pain and Tramadol 200mgs twice a day wasn't doing much to stop it).
Personally I'm done with rec use of drugs for the most part.
Very bad experience recently.

Last edited:
They can write scripts for them. Some doctors won't like to do it, others will be happy to if they believe you need them.

As for the authority, well that's just a matter of whether you want it on Medicare or not. If they want to prescribe it to you but don't think you meet the requirements they will write it privately.

7Nova: I think there are a few reasons that your mother got the script so easily. One would be her age group and gender. I take it your mother is a middle aged woman. These are not your typical doctor shoppers or rec drug users. If she were a young male it might not have been so easy.

Also she had an obivous and severe need for them, and it was attributed to a genuinely tragic event.

She got them easily because she needed them, wasn't looking to get high off them and wasn't faking.

They certainly can if you meet the criteria of justification for them to prescribe it, and justify (like a tax audit) for their usage. ) Or practice your Dr. shopping skills better) Mods delecte this this deemed inappropriate)

Thanks for the replies.

I'll just make an appointment with the psychiatrist.

The GP might think that I'm a junkie when I kinda convey that I need/want alprazolam/clonazepam. LOL!

It's just that the psych has a kinda long waiting list, plus the psych goes to a lot of seminars/etc.

Last edited:
Which one's more dangerous/addictive/hard-to-come-off: clonazepam or alprazolam? Pros/Cons?

They certainly can if you meet the criteria of justification for them to prescribe it, and justify (like a tax audit) for their usage. ) Or practice your Dr. shopping skills better) Mods delecte this this deemed inappropriate)

Nah, I just use one GP/doctor and one psychiatrist. Both long-term.

i think xanax is harder to get off cause it has a shorter half life. clonazepam isnt approved for anxiety but is for seizures, but you might be able to get it on a pprivate script. xanax on authority is for panic disorder where all other treatments have failed or are inappropriate.
and imo seeing a psych wont make much difference either way

GP/Psych will see right through you if thats what you want. Explain why you want it and it may be a different story

Authority im guessing you mean is if you on concesssion you'll get eg. Ssri's for $ fuck all.

When I get a job I gotta fork out $heaps for 375mg Effexor, 100 2mg clonaz, 100 diaz and and a months worth of Naltrexone. Add it up with out concession and its fucking heaps.....sorry I know I cant discuss pricess but fuck, with out PBS I'm, were screwed. It adds up to a lot for a months supply, trust me. Private is for eg. Clonaz. for anxiety when its onlt approved for epilepsy so you dont get it the PBS price, which is a fair bit, Authoroty is where its approved for your disorder/whatever and you get it on PBS and its at a set price which is FUCK all compared to a private script. Sorry Im smashed... hope I helped a bit.