• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Can Aussie GPs/doctors prescribe alprazolam or clonazepam?

i think xanax is harder to get off cause it has a shorter half life. clonazepam isnt approved for anxiety but is for seizures, but you might be able to get it on a pprivate script. xanax on authority is for panic disorder where all other treatments have failed or are inappropriate.
and imo seeing a psych wont make much difference either way

Only psychiatrists can prescribe "Authority" scripts?

Authority im guessing you mean is if you on concesssion you'll get eg. Ssri's for $ fuck all.

When I get a job I gotta fork out $heaps for 375mg Effexor, 100 2mg clonaz, 100 diaz and and a months worth of Naltrexone. Add it up with out concession and its fucking heaps.....sorry I know I cant discuss pricess but fuck, with out PBS I'm, were screwed. It adds up to a lot for a months supply, trust me. Private is for eg. Clonaz. for anxiety when its onlt approved for epilepsy so you dont get it the PBS price, which is a fair bit, Authoroty is where its approved for your disorder/whatever and you get it on PBS and its at a set price which is FUCK all compared to a private script. Sorry Im smashed... hope I helped a bit.

I've noticed you're prescribe clonazepam? You have an "Authority" prescription? Is your clonazepam for epilepsy? Or anxiety?

All can give you an authority script. sometimes they have to ring up whatever group it is they calll - I got this done with a 6 months supply of doxycycline (anti malaria meds) - so its not just abusable drugs. or you just get a script written normally.

Dude if your just doctor shopping, chances are you will go into either a psych or a doctor and come back with just a script for an SSRI (antidepressant). they are generally the first thing prescribed if you have an anxiety disorder. They have no recreational value, and you don't want to take them unless you need them.

In terms of which one is more addictive and harder to come off. no idea, both are benzos and potent ones, so both would need to be treated with respect. I used to be addicted to valium, and daily use of benzos above the recommended dosages can land you with a physical dependency quite quickly. And it is a nasty place to be let me tell you. shaking all the time, feeling so nauseous you could spew, panicky, insomnia, sweating, all noises are overly loud and distressing. thats only part of it.

benzos are great for anxiety if you use them how they are intended to be used and only use them sparingly. but when abused the consequences are alot worse than your anxiety ever was.

xanax is shit easy to get off aussie gp's.

if you can 'prove' you've got panic disorder

What's the difference between "Authority" and "Private"?

The Government pays for many medicines through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and Medicare. For some medication, Medicare will only pay for it if the medication in question is being used for a certain condition.

If they will only pay for it for a certain condition, then the doctor might have to get the prescription authorized first. Sometimes it will be a 'streamline authority', where it just gets automatically authorized when the doctor prints out the script. If it's not a streamlined benefit, then the doctor will have to call up Medicare and get an authority number and a phone approval number.

Private scripts are not paid for by Medicare. There is no need for the doctor to get it authorized and they can prescribe the medication for whatever reason they see fit, but you will end up paying more for it.

I've noticed you're prescribe clonazepam? You have an "Authority" prescription? Is your clonazepam for epilepsy? Or anxiety?

Mines a private script for anxiety. Im in rural Vic atm, not alot of doctors where i'm from.

Which one's more dangerous/addictive/hard-to-come-off: clonazepam or alprazolam? Pros/Cons?

Xanax definately due to its such short half life. Clonaz. stays in system much longer, but imo they still going to be a bitch to get off. Anyone smarter than me can probly answer this alot better, Im just not good with words.

So if you have an "Authority" script you'll be paying concession prices?

What if you're a banker/accountant (earning a lot) and you have an authority script, will you be paying concession prices?

So if you have an "Authority" script you'll be paying concession prices?

What if you're a banker/accountant (earning a lot) and you have an authority script, will you be paying concession prices?

You'll need a concession card

PBS without a concession can still be cheaper though.
i've had lot of random private scripts and its a cunt.

i tried SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, anti-psychotics etc before getting xanax, but only at my request.
my psychiatrist basically suggested it in the first session and even with a letter from the psych my GP was against it and gave me more random TCAs...

GPs are getting very basic these days unless you are a long time customer with a history of issues relating to the need for either of the benzos you mentioned.

but apparently i'm one of the only people in australia that has trouble getting certain meds lol

Yes, sorry, I didn't touch on concession.

If you have a concession health care care, and the Government is paying for your script (i.e. you are getting it under the PBS), then give the pharmacist your number and expiry date because you are paying $5.60 (may include brand premium if you choose to go Xanax over Kalma or another generic).

PBS without a concession can still be cheaper though.
i've had lot of random private scripts and its a cunt.

i tried SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, anti-psychotics etc before getting xanax, but only at my request.
my psychiatrist basically suggested it in the first session and even with a letter from the psych my GP was against it and gave me more random TCAs...

GPs are getting very basic these days unless you are a long time customer with a history of issues relating to the need for either of the benzos you mentioned.

but apparently i'm one of the only people in australia that has trouble getting certain meds lol

Misk , this is just my opinoion.... dont even bother with the tca'S OR most ssri, snri ect.. Not sure if u tried, (contradicting myself hard here but Luvox, @ 400mg, Zoloft 'apparently' has dopemine reuptake properties, but I wouldnt get my hopes up on just the litriture alone and fuck all double blind placebo studies. I hate the Anti depressants...TCA,SSRI's,SNRIS,MOI's list goes on a bit..... ^ price!!! jokin i dont give fu ck) loveu all Arn

I personally from expericnce hate them with a passion. Theres no 'Magic pill' YET, and Ive done years with various psychs and shrinks with only at most 'some' improvment.

But dont get on benzos. I know they help at start and might even help even into a few years...

Benzos are bad mmmaky?
Dont give a fuck
For harm reduction sake, dont take the drugs
Do the talking therapys (hasnt worked for me yet, but dont mean it wont work for u)
Plus a pill like Paxtine (yes ive just said how much i hate them) but combined, apparently can work. Hasnt for me yet, but benzo is a road u don't want to go down. Trust me.

Id rather try the off lable nerolepticts or some anitconvulsants/mood stabilizers. But what do I know.

Keep trying whatever you do, theres good things out there, its just up to your inner thoughts to get u through. I realize the first thoughts that come to you are negative but its life. Life sucks sometimes. Alot of the time we dont need need drugs to deal with it, you ust need to wannt to help yourself.

Do you find alcohol works better than any precribed drug? Just personally intrested....

all good man, my depression and anxiety is from all the shit im going through with my legs, not just because.
i never found any anti depressant to be effective - i hate them too, was just doing what i was told to eliminate problems that don't exist and i tried the different types to play the Drs games.

i've got too much of a tolerance to benzos to ever be addicted (even from the beginning), xanax only helps my anxiety and sometimes for sleep if i have nothing else, but i've got 30 sitting next to me and dont feel even the slightest need for them and havent had one in a week. they helped with my legs for a short period, but that didn't last long.

therapy helps put everything in perspective when you stray from your 'normal' thought patterns, i find it helps, but 2.5 years, losing my career, going bankrupt etc takes its toll eventually, i'm not happy or who i used to be, but i still have the capacity to do everything i can in my situation to try and move things forward. whether it always works isn't up to me, but shit happens lol.

i find a beer on a hot day or a bourbon in the winter is good, but its rare, i don't feel the need for a substance to make me happy, just normal, hopefully things fall into place after that point - kinda hard to explain, but i'm sure you get the idea.

sorry to go off topic :D

Assuming you actually have anxiety, the best way ive found to get benzo scripts is ask for a referral to a psychologist for anxiety, then go back to the Gp after a month or so and just ask for some medication in addition to the counselling/psychologist. Ive always been pretty upfront and named what I wanted. Have been prescribed ativan/klonopin/xanax/valium at different times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it true that you can only have one "Authority" script prescribed?

^ You can have multiple authority scripts for different medications. If you have multiple authorities for the same medication from different doctors then someone will probably pick up on it sooner then if it were private or non-Authority.

Thanks for the help so far, guys!

Which one would be better for treating anxiety/GAD, alprazolam or clonazepam?

depends on the anxiety you get.
if its pretty constant and not exactly triggered by something, clonazepam would offer more relief per dose due to the longer half life.
but if you get sudden onset anxiety or don't require medication to treat it all the time, xanax is good due to its faster onset.

depends on the anxiety you get.
if its pretty constant and not exactly triggered by something, clonazepam would offer more relief per dose due to the longer half life.
but if you get sudden onset anxiety or don't require medication to treat it all the time, xanax is good due to its faster onset.

Leaning towards the clonaz with regards to your description.

But xanax/alprazolam is more sedating (make you more sleepy or put you to sleep) compared to clonazepam?

I don't want to look sleepy/drowsy at work!