• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can a Sub fast taper work as a tolerance break for a full agonist ?

Bropiace

Bluelighter
So I guess it is all in the title. If one was on a full agonist daily and then quit until it is safe to take Suboxone, use a fast taper schedule for 4 to 6 days (or even a little more) until the symptoms kicks in again and went back at this time on a full agonist, would he have reduced substancially his tolerance for his drug of choice or would the cross tolerance of the Sub prevent that ?

Also would it make sens to do this as opposed to just quit for 3 to 4 days or would the gain from the Suboxone fast taper be more substential since actually you will be off the full agonist for way more days ?

ime this works... if u keep the sub doses real low. u wont need more than 1mg/ day. more than that i think u will get tolerance issues from the bupe.. have done this many times.. never voluntarily. always was shocked how a hit would make me smashed when i started agaiin. but then it only lasts a day or two and u will b back up to regular doses

Unless I am sticking to a smaller maintenance dose with my new found tolerance. I actually been tapering for months and I just figured that might be another way to go about it. Thank you for your reply.

So I guess it is all in the title. If one was on a full agonist daily and then quit until it is safe to take Suboxone, use a fast taper schedule for 4 to 6 days (or even a little more) until the symptoms kicks in again and went back at this time on a full agonist, would he have reduced substancially his tolerance for his drug of choice or would the cross tolerance of the Sub prevent that ?

Also would it make sens to do this as opposed to just quit for 3 to 4 days or would the gain from the Suboxone fast taper be more substential since actually you will be off the full agonist for way more days ?

For the first part, yes, this works great, but it would probably work much better if you put an additional week after the taper week spent without using any bupe before you go back to the full agonist to maximize your tolerance reset.

As for part two, if you want to cold turkey it for a few days, that will probably work too (although I doubt your tolerance will experience a full reset). The only drawback of this one is that you'll suffer dearly going cold turkey just to get back to using after you're "out of the woods". setting yourself up for another painful withdrawal somewhere down the road.