• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Calling Old School Meth Users, How Has It Changed?

not sure about the process and/or ingredients in this substance but yeah... dirty like sometimes the shit will still be smoking in the bag. lol i guess if it helps one stay up three days or more it must good. idk. i quit messing with the stuff on the reg decades ago. lots change in decades. lots

G-Chem: I’ve been thinking about this for some time too, and you’ll know my various views from Le Junks epic “MDMA is different now” thread on the MDMA forum.

For me the criticisms of meth these days seem to be somewhat correlated, both in time and the reported poor effects, to those leveled at MDMA for the past decade, to the extent that one can compare the two drugs of course.

What I would like to know more about to start with is how is this “P2P meth” being manufactured. It’s not good enough to just say it’s P2P meth or cartel meth or whatever. That’s a start. But the methods of making P2P nowadays have no doubt changed enormously, in much the same way as making MD-P2P has changed. And there are many many ways to make P2P.

So, how are the cartels creating this P2P? Phenylacetic acid? Benzaldehyde? APAAN? Benzyl cyanide? God forbid, BMK-glycidate? MDMA production and meth production never looked so the same.

And then, how are they reductively aminating the P2P? Is it with methylamine? Is it something else? And what is the reducing agent? What is clear is whatever it is, they can now achieve this on a massive scale, in much the same way as those Dutch mass producers of MDMA are able to do. Are they using metal catalyst hydrogenation or something else? Is the method some one pot masterpiece that appears to be the stuff of genius, but in reality just fucks up and mellows everything?

Properly knowing and understanding what this “P2P meth” really is and how it came to be (and definitely what chemicals the P2P was before), might help us work out if there are potentially nasty and toxic byproducts involved. Or are the routes which are now being employed creating other potential problems with the end product (in much the same way as has been theorised with modern day MDMA production), that despite producing the desired and intended drug at a very high purity to boot, the whole experience just ends up a disappointment as compared to how both drugs should be.

As an aside, I’m from Australia and due to Covid we have had an utterly ridiculous meth drought combined with stupidly high prices for some time, especially in Western Australia. However, the meth atm is so so much better than it was a few years ago, when it was a third of the price and Government reports on seizures had confirmed 2 out of 3 meth samples were now P2P meth (a couple of years before that and earlier, 80% of meth seized in Australia was made from pseudo/ephedrine). There is no doubt in my mind that the ephedrine produced meth has become more common again during this rather barren period and thank goodness it has; the high is so much nicer, there is less Vasoconstriction and far less paranoia/tweakedness/scatteredness.

And no, it is not because of having a lesser amount and consuming less because it’s more expensive etc. It’s just a much better product, just how it use to be before the explosion of the “P2P meth” began. And believe me, explosions in Mexico were still felt in Australia, and now that things are back to normal, I suspect more will be felt again. :/

Last edited:
G-Chem: I’ve been thinking about this for some time too, and you’ll know my various views from Le Junks epic “MDMA is different now” thread on the MDMA forum.

For me the criticisms of meth these days seem to be somewhat correlated, both in time and the reported poor effects, to those leveled at MDMA for the past decade, to the extent that one can compare the two drugs of course.

What I would like to know more about to start with is how is this “P2P meth” being manufactured. It’s not good enough to just say it’s P2P meth or cartel meth or whatever. That’s a start. But the methods of making P2P nowadays have no doubt changed enormously, in much the same way as making MD-P2P has changed. And there are many many ways to make P2P.

So, how are the cartels creating this P2P? Phenylacetic acid? Benzaldehyde? APAAN? Benzyl cyanide? God forbid, BMK-glycidate? MDMA production and meth production never looked so the same.

And then, how are they reductively aminating the P2P? Is it with methylamine? Is it something else? And what is the reducing agent? What is clear is whatever it is, they can now achieve this on a massive scale, in much the same way as those Dutch mass producers of MDMA are able to do. Are they using metal catalyst hydrogenation or something else? Is the method some one pot masterpiece that appears to be the stuff of genius, but in reality just fucks up and mellows everything?

Properly knowing and understanding what this “P2P meth” really is and how it came to be (and definitely what chemicals the P2P was before), might help us work out if there are potentially nasty and toxic byproducts involved. Or are the routes which are now being employed creating other potential problems with the end product (in much the same way as has been theorised with modern day MDMA production), that despite producing the desired and intended drug at a very high purity to boot, the whole experience just ends up a disappointment as compared to how both drugs should be.

As an aside, I’m from Australia and due to Covid we have had an utterly ridiculous meth drought combined with stupidly high prices for some time, especially in Western Australia. However, the meth atm is so so much better than it was a few years ago, when it was a third of the price and Government reports on seizures had confirmed 2 out of 3 meth samples were now P2P meth (a couple of years before that and earlier, 80% of meth seized in Australia was made from pseudo/ephedrine). There is no doubt in my mind that the ephedrine produced meth has become more common again during this rather barren period and thank goodness it has; the high is so much nicer, there is less Vasoconstriction and far less paranoia/tweakedness/scatteredness.

And no, it is not because of having a lesser amount and consuming less because it’s more expensive etc. It’s just a much better product, just how it use to be before the explosion of the “P2P meth” began. And believe me, explosions in Mexico were still felt in Australia, and now that things are back to normal, I suspect more will be felt again. :/

Is there any visual difference in appearance?

-GC

Today's speed definitely feels a little different depending on where you get it.

I'm not sure if I believe the "fent in the meth" rumors. Most meth users inject or smoke large doses, every few hours. Could you imagine how much fentanyl you'd be taking in if you did that? It just seems unrealistic.

I think the most logical explanation is that maybe you do have ADD/ADHD, so stimulants calm you down. Or your brain was empty of neurotransmitters, so when you smoke some more and your brain has nothing left, you'll get paradoxical tiredness instead of awakeness. I've felt this on meth/speed before there was ever fent out there.

But I can't explain a toxicology showing fent. You could be right. Just seems like more people would be overdosing and dying then if the rumors were true, considering meth users typically take much larger doses of their drug than say...a heroin or fentanyl user.
No, unfortunately it is not a rumor. I found out first hand by going to the needle ex. They had testing kits they were giving out and they tested it right in front of my eyes sure enough it came up positive for fent.

The ANU in Canberra has a semi-confidential testing lab dedicated to a joint project with the Federal Police in which they test meth seizures from all over the place.

The project is so advanced that they can determine the approximate location of the lan that made the meth based on all kinds of trace elements, contaminants, manufacturing residues etc etc that they test for as a matter of course.

It has a formal relationship with a similar FBI project in the US.

There is a bit of useful information about it in articles published by the scientists in academic journals - but the actual data seems to be top secret and unontainable.

In the 90s meth in the central valley california was great we was hearing about crystal meth in japan and Hawai could not wait to get our hands on it. We had crank i snorted and smoke it 5 days awake then recover and start again you had names like peanut butter rosebud .

In 2005ish when I was a teenager, we were doing "crank" which was pink-tinted shards. I don't recall it having much effect on me back then but my brother & our truck driver neighbor seemed to love the shit.

Wasn't until a year or two later I tried genuine "crystal" for the first time. Looked like glass back then (compared to the more salt-like looking shards around today).

Unfortunately I don't' have much more input & I'm not as old as some one who was doing meth in the 80's, but I'd say it's been variable through out different era's I'd imagine, similar to how cannabis was weaker back in the 50's and 60's and the heroin is now fentanyl (yuck).

Anyone have any idea what these pink shards back in 2004-2006 were that I was doing as a teenager? It was nowhere near as good as the translucent crystals and shards that I tried later on in life, but it had some what of an effect I suppose. Is pink crank different from meth or is it just an old trendy slang term for the shitty meth back then?
The pink dope was more then likely because it was acidic they probably got the ph too low . And then alot of times it has a pink color to it .

Alot of the meth well most of the shit coming from Mexico is as you know p2p but I don't think that they are separating the d and the l meth ,but adding a cut that is almost exactly like meth called N-isopropylbenzylamine

The pink dope was more then likely because it was acidic they probably got the ph too low . And then alot of times it has a pink color to it .
Interesting.

Well the effects of this pink 'crank" was nothing like what we called "ice" today. So I'm not sure what it was, if it was just that. Could low PH render it into something less effective than the crystal stuff?

Interesting.

Well the effects of this pink 'crank" was nothing like what we called "ice" today. So I'm not sure what it was, if it was just that. Could low PH render it into something less effective than the crystal stu.
I suppose that would depend on how low the pH is. I mean you can wash excess acid away with acetone wash.meth is a pretty durable substance

I suppose that would depend on how low the pH is. I mean you can wash excess acid away with acetone wash.meth is a pretty durable substance
I guess.

I personally can't recall ever feeling any euphoria from the pink shards.
Of course at the time, my brother & our neighbor would smoke it ontop of bowls of weed & always acted like it was something good.
Our neighbor was a semi driver, so I assumed he'd be using something good (or at least something that caused noticeable alertness).
I of course joined in and used it as well just to feel "cool" at the time (I was 15 & 16 years old lol).

It wasn't until I was 17 that my brother got a normal transculent shard (im 34 now) and that shit blew me away. It was nothing like the pink stuff at all. Extreme sex drive, the whole 9 yards. Never got that from the pink stuff.

I vaguely remember a slight increase in alertness from the pink stuff and that was it. But I never understood why my brother & the neighbor loved the shit so much.

That's why I wondered if there was some extreme difference between pink "crank" and regular crystal "ice" meth. They called the pink shit "crank" and after a few years, the term "crank" was replaced with stuff like "ice" and "glass" and of course "crystal" & I never ran into pick shit ever again.

Last edited:
The color pink can come from a number of things, but actually I remember talk that the reason much of it was pink back then had to do with the starting material. A lot of the pseudo used were red coated pills and even after a lot of washing there would still be a little dye to color the meth pink.

-GC

The color pink can come from a number of things, but actually I remember talk that the reason much of it was pink back then had to do with the starting material. A lot of the pseudo used were red coated pills and even after a lot of washing there would still be a little dye to color the meth pink.

-GC
Sounds reasonable!

Maybe my experience was just lacking because they often smoked it ontop of weed rather than out of a glass pipe or anything. And it could have very well just been really crappy stuff.

I'm glad you're coming from an unbiased viewpoint; this is interesting stuff.

I used to be big into growing weed. All the old timers would talk about the weed in the 60s-70s-80s being better than now, how they got so much higher, not one of them aware that a 15 year old gets high differently than a 70 year old with 55 years of tolerance. It's crazy. The icing on the cake is that some small amount of these strains have been rediscovered, redistributed, and to their collective surprise, 99% of the market was not into it. It reminds me of wine connoisseurs who cannot admit that cheap wine can be tastier than a 100 year old, rare vintage.

I love (unbiased) drug history. Very few respect it enough, or have the resources or expertise to document it. And as soon as you bring nostalgia into the picture, it loses its legitimacy, imho.

I've smoked meth a dozen or so times over the last.. 5-7 years? Not a lot of experience however I hung out with a lot of decade+ users and talked about meth with them.

One thing I noticed was this guy I met. Only met him 3 times. This was at like, a drug den type house where my friend lived. Anyway this guy was so social, super energetic, always happy to help you with whatever. Well I smoked some of HIS meth once and wow. Totally different shit. He was really fussy on his source, and didn't just buy random shit unless he was desperate. But he swore there was highly variable grades to meth and after smoking his and getting lit the fuck up big time from one puff, I would agree with him.

If the dozen or so(maybe two dozen lol) times I smoked meth, it was almost always a different dealer, batch etc. To me, most of it was 'average' and was more like Ritalin to me. Not much euphoria or energy.. Happy to stay seated. But pretty noticeable concentration and motivation increase. The crappy stuff still got you high but it felt like the motivation part had decreased, leaving mostly just concentration.

The good stuff however? Would run to the store and back to get some cigarettes. Chat up any cute girls I meet. Feel amazing, legit like a million bucks.

I don't think I could ever get addicted to the average or worse stuff but that good shit? Yeah I can understand addiction to meth after doing that stuff.

Oh one strange thing. The good meth.. It didn't keep me up for 3-4 days. Average meth.. No matter if it's just one toke or smoking 100-200mg, I would not sleep for DAYS. I would smoke it Friday night and I'm at work on Tuesday still hadn't slept. Th good shit only kept me up for 24hrs or less.

Is there any visual difference in appearance?

-GC
I find appearance very variable and not much use in identifying.

From memory the crappier meth more regularly had a more moistened crystalline appearance, which just meant another negative feature of such a batch. But beyond that I cannot really recall anything that appearance wise might distinguish the two - likely because there are so many ways to get to each of them, before you even factor in the individual characteristics bestowed by the particular manufacturing process giving birth to any given batch and the attempt at further purification after that :)

Unhelpful I know but I don’t think I can add anymore than that sorry GC.

Last edited:
Here meth is the same like before.Homemade from pure ephedrine.The end product is little crystals like sugar.The smell,when you heated is the same.The drop(on the foil) is clear,when flows and than quickly became again whitish,when it cools.Hammer....glad that finished with this

Bump.

This matters now more than ever. I’m working with some people to help solve this. Anyone and everyone experiencing this phenomenon please report on how it’s changed. I’m particularly interested to hear from people who experience good and bad batches.

-GC

Last edited:
Today's speed definitely feels a little different depending on where you get it.

I'm not sure if I believe the "fent in the meth" rumors. Most meth users inject or smoke large doses, every few hours. Could you imagine how much fentanyl you'd be taking in if you did that? It just seems unrealistic.

I think the most logical explanation is that maybe you do have ADD/ADHD, so stimulants calm you down. Or your brain was empty of neurotransmitters, so when you smoke some more and your brain has nothing left, you'll get paradoxical tiredness instead of awakeness. I've felt this on meth/speed before there was ever fent out there.

But I can't explain a toxicology showing fent. You could be right. Just seems like more people would be overdosing and dying then if the rumors were true, considering meth users typically take much larger doses of their drug than say...a heroin or fentanyl user.
I've heard of other meth only users testing positive for fentanyl when they went to jail.