• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

buying first pistol, suggestions?

Yeah, the .38 special used to be the cop gun. Guess what? They wanted something with more power, because the .38 just wasn't stopping the bad guys like they wanted it to. So what did they use you ask? Well, at first they just stepped up to a .357 magnum. Basically a beefed up .38 round. But it kicked too much, and cops weren't effective enough with it because they would flinch anticipating the greater kick and thus be less accurate.

So they moved onto the .40 S&W, now used by almost all the cops around the town.

Originally posted by -=ReD-hAzE=-
...Along with barrel twist, and length...

this is what i don't understand - you said the 9mm round was innaccurate but surely barrel length and twist are functions of the design and manufacture of a specific weapon.

i don't know a lot about firearms and these seem like very confusing statements.

alasdair

i hate to drag this out but i'm trying to understand your comment.

so it's not the round itself which is inaccurate?

alasdair

I don't know much about guns, but I do know that the SAS use 9mm pistols (previously Brownings, and in recent years the Sig P226) and if it's good enough for them...

It's a combination of the round and barrel twist/length. Or how the weight/shape of that round is effected by twist/length (Which doesn't change much from handgun to handgun.)

well - i suppose i see what you're getting at. i just have trouble understanding how you can claim an entire caliber is inaccurate when there are so many other variables...

thanks for your posts

alasdair

If you dig around, you'll find there aren't that many variables. There's a finite number of bullet weights (standard is 115 grain), a finite number of load weights for the powder (too little or too much more accuracy is lost), a finite number of different barrels (most are 1:9 or 1:12 twist), and a finite number of barrel lengths.

The sum of all those different variables just always seems to add up to something not as accurate as other calibers.

All my personal opinion of course.

-=ReD-hAzE=- said:
If you dig around, you'll find there aren't that many variables. There's a finite number of bullet weights (standard is 115 grain), a finite number of load weights for the powder (too little or too much more accuracy is lost), a finite number of different barrels (most are 1:9 or 1:12 twist), and a finite number of barrel lengths.

The sum of all those different variables just always seems to add up to something not as accurate as other calibers.

All my personal opinion of course.

this is it right here. the size of the bullet versus the powder behind it coupled with barrel and gun design make it inaccurate. it is an awkward round. cops can use them for short distance shooting. at short distances, any gun is somewhat accurate. when going for longer distances, the 9mm will be quite inaccurate. consider this.

the 9mm is a very mass produced round. thus, the engineering on each shell isnt up to par.

bullet size compared to powder is a bit off. the 9mm round needs more powder(imo). but in order to be a mass produced shell and to load/unload guns quick, the smaller size helps a lot. a little more powder wont hurt. the 9mm is the most common round in fully auto/assault rifles. in order to fling lead as fast as possible, a substabdard round is acceptable (because of the compact size)

^ thanks. i'm a lot less confused now.

i grew up in the UK and, apart from an air-rifle, i had never shot anything. about a year ago i went to a shooting range and fired a handgun for the first time (it was a 9mm coincidentally).

i discovered that i'm a pretty good shot :)

alasdair

I haven't been able to confirm this, but I was told that Schiavone's in Middletown is going to offer a conceal and carry coarse. Two days, Sat., and Sunday, cost 200, Includes an Italian dinner. If you haven't been to Schiavone's I recommend it. Great food, and a great atmosphere.

http://www.schiavones.com/

I'm not trying to make a senseless plug here. The orginal poster is pretty close to middletown, and he was asking about the coarse.

Acidfiend said:
For all around use, I personally prefer Glocks for handguns. CMB's suggestion to find pre-ban clips is spot on, you have NO idea how annoying it is reloading today's wimpy little 10-round clips over and over. I hate it!

BTW if you live close, Nevada is THE place to go if you want to purchase guns. It's like the Best Buy of the gun world.

Glocks are marvelous guns. My s/o's father is the firing range instructer around here and we both love how Glocks look, feel, and how the perform. Oh, if only silencers weren't illegal, then you could have a wonderful weapon.

You can get a silencer. You'll need a special permit, but they're not hard to get.

whats a 30 odd 30

I read in the paper about some drug set up that a gangstar picked a cop off from the roof, he used a 30 odd 30, is that a snipe rifle...?

A 30 odd 30? There's a 30-30, and a 30-06 (pronounced 30-ought-6). Neither are 'sniper rifles' but can be used for sniping just the same.

the word "ought" means zero (0). hence 30 ought 6 (30.06)

the 30.06 could be used as a sniper rifle, sure. the 30-30 would be shite for snipering.

if one were to want to sniper, the .270 is about as best a sniper rifle you can get. thats what i use for deer and i love it.