• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

buying first pistol, suggestions?

lol, hows the irony of the source rule.

no drug sources. guns sources are ok though.

Off-topic post removed: please read here before posting further in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lott says his research shows that guns used defensively stop about 2 million crimes a year, five times the amount of crimes in which guns are used.
Source - First thing I found...

Now, for that .45 ACP diegoblunt posted.

Beretta Model M8000/8040 Cougar

Caliber: 9mm Para., 10-shot, 40 S&W, 10-shot, 45 ACP, 8-shot.
Barrel: 3.6". Weight: 33.5 oz. Length: 7" overall.
Stocks: Checkered plastic. Sights: Blade front, rear drift adjustable for windage. Features: Slide-mounted safety, rotating barrel, exposed hammer. Matte black Bruniton finish. Imported from Italy by Beretta U.S.A.

Price: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $695
Price: D model, 9mm, 40 S&W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $672
Price: D model, 45 ACP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$724
Price: Box of .45 (50) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10-30 (Average)
Price: Average price per bullet (.45) ~20-60 cents.

Not really someone to go out target shooting with, because ammo is so expensive.

Last edited:
Off-topic post removed: please read here before posting further in this thread....

From my experience, I'd stay away from a 9mm as a first pistol. I've shot five different 9mm handguns and all of them have had horrible accuracy, with Phoenix Arms being the worst maker. (you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a Phoenix)

A .45 is a decent size gun to begin with, and ammo won't cost you a fortune. Or even a 40 caliber is a big enough handgun for beginners. You get into the .357 and the .44 Mag guns you're going to shell out more cash, like Red Haze said. More bang for your buck! If you're serious about spending some money on a quality brand gun, stick with Colt, Beretta, or even Ruger.

Gaz_hmmmm said:
Does anyone know if shipping gun parts (Not a full kit) to the UK is legal? :\

Cause on that site they www.gunsamerica.com they sell parts! :)

as far as I know they probaly use a disclaimer stating you must check your loacal laws and they are not liable.
Reactivating a deactivated gun with spare barrels & pins can be done but is illegal in the UK as is the sale of these parts I believe.

Response to Off-topic post removed

to the original poster, what is your price range. i wouldnt get a large caliber gun. if, on the off chance someone breaks in, the .44 mag will not only go through him, but also your wall and your neighbors wall and possibly your neighbor. the .22 will embed in the body. if youve got a semi-auto, youll sling 10 shots in a few seconds. not many people can pull a gun on you and shoot back when getting filled full of lead.

^^that all being, when in conflict. youll prolly never need to use that scenario. target practicing with a .22 LR is great. its also great to rabbit or squirrel hunt with a .22 LR

price range is key for us to help you

Guns America, I believe, will only ship guns to a licensed gun dealer. You can't do person-to-person gun sales over the Internet.

BlueAdonis said:
From my experience, I'd stay away from a 9mm as a first pistol. I've shot five different 9mm handguns and all of them have had horrible accuracy, with Phoenix Arms being the worst maker. (you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a Phoenix)

A .45 is a decent size gun to begin with, and ammo won't cost you a fortune. Or even a 40 caliber is a big enough handgun for beginners. You get into the .357 and the .44 Mag guns you're going to shell out more cash, like Red Haze said. More bang for your buck! If you're serious about spending some money on a quality brand gun, stick with Colt, Beretta, or even Ruger.
I agree whole heartedly with the 9mm comment. Of the numerous one's I have shot, none were worth mentioning. Accuracy runs out at about the 50 yard range with most of them. With my dads Glock 17 shooting at a man sized target out at about 100 yards, I managed two hits out of ten. And I'm anything but bad with a gun.

A .45 is about as powerful of handgun as anyone needs, and the ammo is pretty spendy. .40 is slightly less powerful, and slightly cheaper on ammo. .357 is about the perfect balance of power and affordable ammo. .44 held the title of most powerful handgun in the world for years, and the ammo is expensive as heck.

Quality brand gun, and you didn't mention Browning or Smith & Wesson?! Blasphemy!

As for mintalyelevatid's comment on the .44 and .22, the .22 has a lot more penetration power than you give it credit for. It's what butchers use to put down a cow, pig, etc. It will easily go through flesh and bone and out the other side and possibly through a wall. The .44 won't go through flesh and bone as easily, and will just blast it's way through deforming itself and loosing power as it goes along. I'd be suprised if you shot through someone and through a wall with one.

On a side note, they have .22 LR shells that will pass through 22+ inches of ballistic gelatin(meant to simulate flesh). We have some, and they also will go about 9-10 inches or so into a solid block of hardwood.

wow, thanks guys, great posts. i will definately be taking a class about gun safety and all that BEFORE i buy any gun. price range, im not too sure about, but most likely not any more than $500. and thats probably pushing it.

good suggestions. i will definately read up about them and see what would best suite me. i think i want a gun for more target shooting than home protection, but dont really want it to lack in that area either. from what ive read from the posts, it looks like a .22 would be best.

diegoblunt said:

I'll go on the record that I agree that this is very ironic.

I don't believe that drug sources should be permitted on Bluelight and find this rule to be more than fair. Drug sources are not permitted for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is liability. For example, what if someone read this thread, went out and got a gun from one of the posted sources and then had a terrible accident in which the gun went off and killed someone? It's a bit of a stretch to hold anyone or any entity other than the person in possession of the gun liable, but in such a litigious society as modern-day America, it isn't out of the question.

Many of you know that I'm one of very few Americans that doesn't interpret the Second Amendment as a blanket entitlement to possess dangerous automatic handguns. This post is made independent of my personal opinions on guns.

That's why I find it IMMENSELY dangerous and appalling that all of you are giving sources for guns to someone who has expressed he doesn't even know how to shoot one.

I will once again suggest the Rugar Mark II that I posted before. It's cheap, reliable, and will do just what you want.

A home invader doesn't care if you're packing a .50 mag Desert Eagle or a .22 pistol, if he hears a gun cock, and or fire, chances are he's out of there. No reason to risk dying for some damn stolen goods. If he's hit with either, he'll know it. But with a larger caliber you will cause more damage and are likey to cause permenent damage or even kill the individual.

Unless you felt your life was in danger, and you shoot the guy and blast his liver and guts to bits with high caliber handgun, it's your ass that's getting in more trouble. Not his. And if you weren't really in danger, but instinctually shot anyways when he tries to jump out the window to get away, and you fuck him up, just go ahead bend over, because they will fuck you with the long arm of the law.

Another handgun to look at, the Taurus PT-938 [38 ACP ($450)].

diegoblunt said:

Not ironic at all. The rule is 'no drug and related sources', not 'no sources of any kind'.

^^yes, i have never shot a gun. thats why i am taking the gun safety class. the first time i will be shooting one is after the instructors tell me how to. i have had the chance to shoot guns before. i never have though, because i dont know how. (with the exception of a bb & pellet gun)

i want to learn how to shoot a gun, not to go out and kill people, but because i think of it as a sport. i want to be able to stand at the shooting range and shoot. like the bullseye-type thing (i dont know what they are called). but i also want it for home protection, just incase the need for a gun was necessary (hopefully it wont be). ive only killed one bird in my life w/ a bb gun, so i dont think im going to go out and try to find people to shoot.

EDIT: response to mariposa

^I'm glad you are taking the responsibility to educate yourself via a gun safety course.

There is nothing wrong with protecting oneself and one's family, and I won't hijack your thread.

Mmm.

mariposa420

- I agree that if this thread contained information on "how-to" buy a gun illegally (IE: Out of the boot of someones car) then it would most certainly be closed. If the thread stays on topic and the shooter is willing to do the safety course and by the Gun legitimately then I could only say that in the US it's not illegal to own a Gun and as such asking where to purchase one would not be breaking the guidelines or sources for obtaining illegal equipment.

However your point is most difently taken and a quick warning to everyone that this MUST NOT become a thread for illegally obtaining firearms or suggesting to buy firearms that require a permit without a permit.

In saying that, here in Australia the gun laws are extremely strict and can only be bought with a license, which is extremely hard to obtain. Very different from the US. I personally don't believe its nessecery to own a firearm of any sort.

shals :D