Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Boycott Singapore - Van's unfair sentance

Status
Not open for further replies.
blah said:
Now Van, 25yrs, a young man, made a huge mistake, a major mistake, but that that mistake cost him his life is sickening. That the Australian authorities did so little, and continue to do so little is a reflection of the wide spread apathy and indifference to the billion dollar trade deals which trump human life. It would have been far more prudent, if economically damaging, for Australia and other nations to immediatly impose trade sanctions on Singapore aswell as advising their citezens to not travel to such dictatorships and barbaric countries where representation is absent except for alcohol and tobacco merchants among other things.

Once upon a time I went to Singapore, and immediatly getting off the plane many will know you are greeted with guys holding machine guns. What a sick society. And worse is that the world would turn a blind eye to all that shit just for making a buck. Well wouldn't you know it, I made a mistake too, I had accidently taken a bud into Singapore. Totally forgot it was in one of my jackets in my suit case. As luck would have it, that bud was not found, I didn't find it until later in my travels. But imagine, just through a simple error, I could have been imprisoned and canned. I will never visit that country ever again as long as the dictatorship prevails and the people are held down by the corruption which is every where. It may seem clean and green in the western hotels,shopping malls, down town...but beyond that it is a twisted, deranged place where the people are held down. And you won't see Aussie or America seeking to free the Singaporeans, whether through economic sanctions or other wise, so I implore all of you to stay away from that country.

As for the moderator keystroke, I truely pity you, you are a clear example of a sad individual way off the tracks, and if any one here had any sense you would forthwith be removed from this site which claims to be about harm reduction. Its not that you support killing people, its that you demean and cheapen human life to the point of making jokes about a man, a young man, who was executed in the name of the war on drugs which kills so many more people than drugs ever will.

Just a few points of contention here: the Philippines attempted a boycott of Singapore airlines flights and it didn't do much except severely strain ties between the two countries.

Having lived in Singapore for over five years, it's not quite as bleak as you make it out to be. They do have very strict security; my brother was stripped down and interogated at one stage when he was in his teens for doing some pretty stupid shit, but in all honesty he probably deserved it. Aside from that, it was a wonderful place to live, and if you abide by the laws you won't have any issues at all. I owe a lot to the place, great experience.

Agreed with the rest of your post. Especially the comments about the moderator ;)

Last edited:
blah said:
As for the moderator keystroke, I truely pity you, you are a clear example of a sad individual way off the tracks, and if any one here had any sense you would forthwith be removed from this site which claims to be about harm reduction. Its not that you support killing people, its that you demean and cheapen human life to the point of making jokes about a man, a young man, who was executed in the name of the war on drugs which kills so many more people than drugs ever will.

Good day.

Oh for the first time today I cried. I wasnt going to cry, but you put this so beautifully/truthfully. Thank you.

If ever those words, such as the ones iterated by keystroke and KB, came out of my mouth, I would be ashamed.

As for Singapore, fuck em. Honestly, it's the tiniest amount I can do to stand up towards the heinous crime they have committed. Never will I visit, never will I purchase anything from there, never will I purchase anything from a company remotely connected with the country.

I stand for the boycott, as the thread initially stated. And I endeavour others to do the same.

Wow, I am speechless after reading some of the comments in this thread. What is truly amazing is the number of BL'ers showing complete lack of empathy for this man who died an unjust death. I'd expect better from you guys, shame on you.

:( 8o

Well he didn't hang himself did he?

It certainly wasn't suicide.

He wasn't hung with his permission.

That's murder by my definition. I'm sure the dictionary would support me too.

swifty said:
fair play, I'll reword it, he wasn't just the innocent little victim he, and everyone else claims he is.

And I wish everyone would stop making him out ot be some fucking hero, this minutes silence business is bullshit, we give the diggers who fought for the country a mimutes silence and to put this little fucking upstart in the same catagory as a someone who went to fight another persons war is fucken blasphemy, fuck it, I'm glad he's dead, now everyone can go back to not giving a fuck about singapore and their harsh laws and focus on pretending to care about the nest flash in the pan issue.

this is the best summarization of the situation in this thread.

well said!

lostpunk5545 said:

It certainly wasn't suicide.

He wasn't hung with his permission.

That's murder by my definition. I'm sure the dictionary would support me too.

He gave his permission when he entered singapore carrying 400grams of heroin, aware that SG has a death sentence for the crime.

lostpunk5545 said:

Carrying illegal drugs into a country that has the death penalty... he may not have physically put the noose around his neck but he certainly hung himself with his actions.

Actually, they're right. Murder is the unlawful killing of someone, and it was within their laws to do so.

Well they wouldn't be getting away with anything if noone had carried large amounts of drugs into their country.
If there was noone smuggling anything through the country, they wouldn't be killing anybody...

I wholeheartedly disagree with this penalty for this crime, however, it doesn't change the fact that the penalty was in place when he travelled through the country, not to mention he would have been well aware of the severity of the punishment.

keej said:
Actually, they're right. Murder is the unlawful killing of someone, and it was within their laws to do so.

I'm astounded that people can say a state or national boundary validates any law that the state across the line chooses to implement just by virtue of the fact that it is a state doing it. For fucks sake, Iraq was a sovereign state, and its laws weren't deemed to be valid, Yugoslavia was a valid state and its laws weren't deemed to be valid. As St Augustine said, "An unjust law is no law at all". A case which has been proved time and again in international law, so NOBODY can use the argument of state soverignty with respect to this case. Or Capital Punishment in general, which we should as a signatory to the UN convention concerned with the abolition of the Death Penalty, be committed to doing, instead of sitting on our national hands behind a veil of diplomatic farce, accomplishing nothing and letting another hideous injustice be committed, this is with respect to Singapore, the US, and China, as well as other countries with the death penalty that Australia has diplomatic relations with.

As other people have said, you people are members of a harm minimisation/reduction website, and the fact that so many people can be so damn callous about this hideous injustice, in light of the fact that this is nothing more than another young person being killed in the War on Drugs, fucking horrifies me.

-plaz out-

This is honestly the most disturbing thread I've ever read. I hope I remember the individual fuckwits who voiced their disgusting ideas here.

This thread also inspired me to stay away from the BL meetup tonight considering I would want to punch a large proportion of the people there. I really hope you enjoy your Christmas drinks.

And, like THR I agree with the original sentiments of this thread. Fuck Singapore.

I started writing this post yesterday but didn't have time to finish it...

This place seems to slide further every time I venture back.

It might sound odd, but I think his family are suffering, and will suffer, to a greater extent than he ever did. His punishment lasted all of a few years; they will be punished for something they knew nothing of (his crime) for the rest of their lives.

Some parts of this thread scream of emotional deficiency. It's redundant to go on about what an idiot he was. No one, from death penalty advocate to those opposed on principle alone, can argue he wasn't. But if you think it's valid to cheapen someone's life and flamboyantly boast about how little you care that he was hung because he was an idiot, your parents have failed you in a very fundamental way.

It vexes me that simpletons, similar to the genera around here, somehow think that opposing his death means you're a wafty dope smoker who hugs trees and thinks he should have been freed without charge because Singapore are wrong and have no right to actualise their laws. Of course he deserved punishment, and of course Singapore have the right to carry out their laws. What we are disputing is the 'cruel and unusual' nature of those laws.

Anyway, a quote that the SMH published which sums up my feelings on the matter;

"Any man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind,
Send therefore not to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee."
-John Donne.

plazma said:
I'm astounded that people can say a state or national boundary validates any law that the state across the line chooses to implement just by virtue of the fact that it is a state doing it. For fucks sake, Iraq was a sovereign state, and its laws weren't deemed to be valid, Yugoslavia was a valid state and its laws weren't deemed to be valid. As St Augustine said, "An unjust law is no law at all". A case which has been proved time and again in international law, so NOBODY can use the argument of state soverignty with respect to this case. Or Capital Punishment in general, which we should as a signatory to the UN convention concerned with the abolition of the Death Penalty, be committed to doing, instead of sitting on our national hands behind a veil of diplomatic farce, accomplishing nothing and letting another hideous injustice be committed, this is with respect to Singapore, the US, and China, as well as other countries with the death penalty that Australia has diplomatic relations with.

As other people have said, you people are members of a harm minimisation/reduction website, and the fact that so many people can be so damn callous about this hideous injustice, in light of the fact that this is nothing more than another young person being killed in the War on Drugs, fucking horrifies me.

-plaz out-

If you'd read the rest of my posts in this thread, you'd note that I haven't been callous in the slightest.

It's all very well to say that an unjust law is no law at all, but I'm afraid some of the goons here have a point; you choose to accept the laws of a country if you freely visit it. Iraq is different because the citizens there didn't necessarily have the choice to be there or not.

I don't really see why this is being argued anyway; look up the meaning in the dictionary. Until new international laws are invented or singapore changes their own, it *IS* lawful. Doesn't mean it's moral, but it is lawful. Nuf said.

Status
Not open for further replies.