Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Boycott Singapore - Van's unfair sentance

Status
Not open for further replies.

endlesseulogy

Bluelighter
The Death Penalty - Van's unfair sentance

Human rights advocacy group Amnesty International has launched an urgent letter writing campaign urging Singapore's government to commute Melbourne man Nguyen Tuong Van's death sentence for trafficking heroin.

Email and postal details for members of Singapore's cabinet, including Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and High Commissioner Joseph Koh, have been posted on Amnesty's Australian site.

Thousands of emails alerting members to the campaign are being sent today.

Amnesty International's Asia Pacific Anti-Death Penalty Network coordinator Tim Goodwin said the internet was the fastest and most effective way to mobilise its network of about 100,000 "urgent action" members worldwide.

"What we're aiming for basically is to get this information as quickly as possible to a large number of people both in Australia and around the world. Because we've only got a matter of weeks left before the execution is likely to be carried out, obviously we have to move very quickly."

AdvertisementNguyen was arrested in Singapore on December 12, 2002 as he was about to board a plane from Changi Airport to Melbourne. He was found with two packages of heroin totalling 396 grams.

He was convicted of drug trafficking last year and sentenced to death under Singapore's strict mandatory sentencing laws.

His appeal for clemency was last week rejected by Singapore President SR Nathan.

Mr Goodwin said although the Australian citizen's situation was dire, he still held hope the campaign would be successful.

"We have to start off from the point of view that we're not going to give up on him while ever he's still alive," he said.

"We have to be realistic that he's in an extremely serious situation and obviously Singapore has a very brutal record of carrying out executions and we have to be prepared for that possibility, but at the same time this is a struggle that we have to fight for Van Nguyen's life and it's also an issue that we need to take to the Singapore Government."

- theage.com.au

I would personally like to know why this case hasnt recieved the same publicity as any of the other cases ie, bali 9, Corby etc etc?.

How can a country like Singapore which is on the surface extreamly technological and economically advanced still use ancient forms of punishment?

Any thoughts on this case?

Last edited:
endlesseulogy said:
I would personally like to know why this case hasnt recieved the same publicity as any of the other cases ie, bali 9, Corby etc etc?.

How can a country like Singapore which is on the surface extreamly technological and economically advanced still use ancient forms of punishment?

To address your first point, I'd speculate that the primary reason is similar to the man who was arrested and sentenced to death in Vietnam for smuggling, they are NOT caucasian and therefore are nowhere near as newsworthy as say, Corby, and that other idiot model bitch, who are not only white, but also young and female. Which has the whole colonialist era overtones of the 'white women in the hands of the savages' appeal all the tabloid media love so much.

Secondly, economic and technological advancement do not make social advancement or social justice. As far as wealth & technology go, the USA is richer and more technologically empowered than virtually any other nation on earth and puts a great many people to death in extremely brutal ways every year.

I've been watching this with a sick feeling of anticipation because the government is not going to do shit, despite the fact that the man is a key witness in the event they manage to bust the syndicate in Sydney responsible for using him as a mule. FFS, I'm as pissed at our government as I am at their legal system.

-plaz out-

I was just clicking back into social to start a thread on this topic...

endlesseulogy said:

Because he's asian and not an attractive young female :\ Also, the fact that it was heroin. I'd suggest that's the same reason why there has hardly been as much public outcry over the bali 9 as there was for the corby case.

The Amnesty website has details on their campaign for clemency. While I respect a country's right to set its own laws, I don't agree with the use of the death penalty anywhere. I think it will be a very sad event if he is hung for this.

Govt powerless to save death row Aussie
October 23, 2005

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has said there is little more the government can do to save the life of a 25-year-old Melbourne man on death row in Singapore.

Nguyen Van Tuong was sentenced to death after being found in possession of almost 400 grams of heroin at Changi Airport in December 2002.

The Australian government's pleas for clemency were rejected by Singapore last week.

Mr Downer says while he feels terrible about the tragic situation, the government has exhausted all available options.

"Tragically, and I feel very badly about this because I'm a complete opponent of capital punishment, I really do feel terribly sad about this, but I honestly, to be frank about it, I'm not sure that there's much else we can do," Mr Downer told ABC radio.

"We've had the governor-general, the prime minister and me lobbying every imaginable relevant person in Singapore over quite some long period of time now.

"I mean, we can make more appeals but I think at this point it's just not going to have any effect."

He said Singapore has executed a lot of people for drug trafficking over the years.

"They execute somewhere between 30 and 40 people a year for drug trafficking and to get an exception in this case was always going to be a long shot, but we thought it was important to do everything we possibly could," Mr Downer said.

Nguyen's mother, Kim appealed to the federal government to pressure Singapore into reassessing Nguyen's clemency bid.

But Mr Downer said the government had done everything in its power.

"I feel terribly sorry for her, first of all for her son, a most terrible situation to be in, but for the mother, you can only guess how she feels," he said.

"But of course, I think we all know this, in Asia, drug trafficking brings capital punishment.

"We've tried to put a case, in this case ... he's never been convicted of any offence before, he's young, we don't want to see him die, and we've pleaded with them but we've been unsuccessful and I'm not sure that there is anything else we can do.

"If there was something realistic and practical we could do, we would have done it."

Nguyen's lawyer says his value as a witness against drug syndicates was not considered when he was sentenced.

Lex Lasry QC, says Singapore has failed to take into account Nguyen's value as a witness against drug interests, including those in Australia.

"He was apprehended in Singapore attempting to leave Singapore for Melbourne with heroin in his possession, just under 400 grams of it in pure quantity," Mr Lasry told ABC Radio.

"This decision either appears to be a bad mistake, an error of judgment, or to, in some way, to deliberately ignore those parts of the Singapore constitution that provide particularly for clemency in circumstances where someone has offered assistance to law enforcement. And that's what our client's done," he said.

"He's a valuable witness. He would be a valuable witness against other members of a criminal conspiracy here in Australia."

Mr Lasry said Nguyen was trying to help his twin brother pay large legal bills when he was caught.

"His brother has some reasonably significant legal bills to pay and an important part of why Van did what he did was to assist his brother," he said.

Nguyen was born in a refugee camp in Thailand and came with his mother to Australia as a refugee.

"This is a young man with his life in front of him, got enormous potential, completely rehabilitated, a valuable source of information, who is about to be put to death for a crime that here in Australia we would never ever consider executing someone for," Mr Lasry said.

From here

I love the singaporean culture and foods, yet it hasnt prevented me going back to singapore, beacause I don't want to go back to singapore for the drugs but for the foods and culture as I have been to singapore over 3 times as I used to work for the singaporean armed forces.

why boycott singapore or bali if the smugglers knew of the country laws before they broke the laws in the first place?

I seriously don't care about the smugglers lives if they are in line, fuck, they broke the laws in the first place. They created laws for their own reasons in the first place and some countries will go to the extremes. Just because we have different laws in Australia, it doesnt means other countries have to change their laws to match ours.

I dont care if is she/he is a hottie model, white, asian, or have rich family connections, even its a member of my family, I may fight all my soul's strength, seriously you are wasting your time. The laws in Asia are well known in the first place anyway.

I would like to see the government stop wasting taxpayers funds on that stupid colby case and bali 9.

Hmm, I had little sympathy for corby, less so for this man. He knew what he was doing... That being said I don't believe that he should be executed for it. There are few things that I agree with in the bible, but one thing is "an eye for an eye." He spent say 5-10 in jail before being released. Corby should probably serve 1-2, not the extended period she has been (unfairly due to lack of actual evidence) given.

singapore is strict on everything it does.
this is why it thrives by being the harbour of asia.
everything about singapore is just to die for.
IMO they have everyright to abide by their own VERY STRICT laws. - everyone knows it.

that doesn't mean that i condone the death of that man.

i find it ironic that drugs are supposedly illegal because they kill, yet the state kills victims of said drugs. and yes he is a victim, merely trafficking drugs to pay off his brother's (another victim) drug debts, debts that only exist because the governments of the world keep drugs illegal thus driving the price up to ridiculous figures.

I remember how freaked i was at Changi airport when we stopped over on the way to the uk... all the posters exclaiming "Death to Drug Traffickers" and seeing in big red letters on our boarding cards "The Penalty for Drug Trafficking is DEATH".

You know what the deal is when you go there. It's pretty fucking hard not to. Having said that, the guy was in a pretty shitty situation (doing it to pay his brother's drug debts). I can't say i wouldn't do the same thing in his shoes, but hell, i would like to hope that he and his family thought of EVERY other possible solution before they did this, because what he did was the height of stupidity... attempting to smuggle drugs out of a country that broadcast the penalty everywhere you look.

I don't know if i'd boycott the place though, just like i don't think i'd boycott bali either.

Last edited:
^^ One of these reasons why this is unfair is because he wasnt trying to smuggle drugs
into singapore.. he was comming from cambodia.. He was only in transit in Chani airport, therefore the drugs were never intended for singapore. The drugs were intended for Australia

as sad as this story is, it needs to be stated that he did break the law.

singapore carries the death penalty for anything over 15g of heroin. he was busted with 400g. and he admitted it was his upon arrest. no amount of legal or diplomatic aid is going to help.

yes, he wasn't a pretty white girl (is schapelle pretty? i think not..) but what schapelle and michelle leslie have in common is that there is ambiguity as to whether the drugs were theirs or not, so this makes it an attractive story to run. the bali 9?? well, thats just huge. its not just mules arrested, but the whole damn drug ring. the big part of that story is where the blame will lie...

van's story has been in the media since his arrest. i distinctly remember reading about it when it happened. there have been regular reports, usually in the world news section, and also paragraphs at the end of schapelle's articles.

besides, its been 12 years since the media have had a proper execution story regarding an aussie overseas...

michael mcauliffe?
kevin barlow?
brian chambers?

does anyone remember these names?

all three were executed for drug offences.. mcauliffe in 1993, barlow & chambers died together in 1986. both stories caused a huge media row (and strained international relations) but all the stories happened just before the execution.

lets not forget though, that although drug smuggling appears to us in australia as a crime that does not fit the death penalty, we are looking at another country and its laws and morals. lets not forget that in some cultures, rape is not considered a serious crime. but we still expect justice do be done when horrendus rapes occur in our society. click this link for an article on sydney gang rapes..

that all being said, i hope that some miracle occurs to save van... :( it's not fair that he should be punished for his brother's sins...

Yeah I manage to scare myself out of not bringing my pipe to Europe because of the smell it could give off to any sniffer dogs. This was despite that Singapore was only used as a refuelling stop and that my bags that were only plane wouldn't be checked by their security. Well as fate would have it, I took too long in the shower rooms in the Singapore airport and my bags were taken off the plane so I could catch later flight. Could it have been a problem? Who knows...

Here's a tip for prospective criminals: if you want the local media on your side, commit your crimes overseas. Isnt it amaziung all aussie drug smugglers are victims of shadowy conspiracies and are deserving of our compassion and sympathy and really when you think about it, they should probably be let off with a slap on the wrists because those asian courts are crooked and they didnt really mean any harm, and even if they did, they are really, really sorry.

Meanwhile, anyone anyone who has anything to do with drugs here is a murderous nutcase out to kill school kids and poison thier minds and wreck up our streets and death's too for them and their evil, EVIL ways.

In real-life (read: what ive seen on 'CSI' and 'Law & Order') the criminals always confessonce theyre caught and never ever claim they were set up the bomb, or that they have no idea how it got there - so if an aussie says thats what happened, then fuck, why would anyone facing a death-sentence lie?

And fair enough i say, i'd probably do the same were the situations reversed, but for the sake of justice we need to make it clear where exactly on the map where your case changes from "hateful kiddie killer" to "innocent manipulated by forces beyond your control". Is it once the plane takes off? The 3 mile limit? and considering this only works for when one of those 'run by asians for asians' countries is involved, what happens if you get while your plane is flying over asia, but lands in europe? Does your crime go from horribly wrong, to ok, and then back again?

What about if you werercaught with the drugs here, but were planning on selling them overseas - which rules apply then? What if you were caught with the drugs comming into Aus, and you admitted that you were going to sell them here,but you swore you were only going to sell them to people who dont speak english?

I mean, seriously; if the victims cant give angry or heart-rending quotes for the local papers to be spun into a "Victim begs court - Drug Scum Deserves Death" article, who fucking cares?

Im kemicalburn, and you're not :p

this post has been paid for by the "KB foreign relations" campaign

^^ That was possibly the single most difficult to read post ever.

Well, i would have made it easier to comprehend but i couldnt get my scanner working so you have to imagine the pics drawn in crayons :p

KemicalBurn said:
Well, i would have made it easier to comprehend but i couldnt get my scanner working so you have to imagine the pics drawn in crayons :p

done.

singapore1nw.jpg

Each country has its laws, when you're in the country, you abide by them. And penalties for drug trafficking are made very very clear in Singapore.

These laws are in place because Singapore is a port and a convenient crossroads for the East and West. So what if the guy's destination is not Singapore? The reason these laws are so draconian is precisely that, to stop drugs from entering Singapore AND to stop traffickers from using Singapore as a convenient port of call.

Just look at the trafficking situation in Asia. Sure they catch a Caucasian once a while in Bali and make a big media fuss out of it, but you know the trafficking is still happening. If there wasn't a place where this shit stops, the traffickers will have easy access to anywhere.

FYI you get thrown into jail for testing POSITIVE on consumption, you don't even need to have drugs on your person. If you're a Singaporean and you consume overseas, you get thrown into jail too if you test positive at the airport when they do a random urine test.

There was a local article last year on drug laws in Singapore, with some people admiting the laws are too draconian and might not have relevance to today's drug consumption, especially when it comes to recreational drug use, because increasingly its the working professionals or students who get caught and are blacklisted for life.

But it was also concluded that these laws were in place for a good reason.

When in Rome?? Except this time its singapore, its not Indonesia. When going to the country, you should know what you can and cant do. And well drug running, thats an obvious one isn't it.

But, the bloke just happened to be in Singapore, were you get a fine for spitting.

The difference between this and Corby, at least there is a little shade of doubt in the Corby case.

I can't wait for this idiot to die, the less heroin traffickers in the world the better. if you're stupid enough to try and smuggle drugs throughout asia, you are deserving of nothing short of execution.

why should our government try and help a heroin smuggler? what would happen if this heroin got into australia, then someone broke into your grandmothers place, bashed her over the head to steal a hundred dollars to buy this heroin? would you still think he is not deserving of the punishment given?

Status
Not open for further replies.