• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Books you loved when you were younger

I'm going right back to learning to read here but I loved Dr Seuss esp. "There's A Wocket in My Pocket" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" I still buy a Dr Seuss calendar every year! I like the "Meg and Mog" books about the witch and her cat too.

Loved clifford the big red dog, also asterix, ohh so many cant remember them all ohh choose your own adventures we re cool

Now i read heaps of fantasy books. on my fave list are - terry brooks sword of shannara read that series, part way through robert jordans wheel of time series atm. Stephen donaldsons mordants need, Terry Goodkinds Sword of truth series

Favourite books ever. - trouble choosing between lord of the rings i read 3 times and Stephen Donaldsons Thomas Covenant series which i also read 3 times awesome series this.

Other faves that arent fantasy
Napoleon Hills Law of Success i have and treasure
Anything by Dale Carnegie
and a number of philosophy books
also some psychology / human behaviour books

Sorry if i went off topic but hey i LOVE reading

"Johnny got his gun" is just the best book ever... The movies pretty good too. Dalton Trombo ROCKS!!!

OMG, doesn't ANYONE remember the picture book
"Hairy McLary from Donaldsons Dairy?" ????

That was a favourite of mine, and my 2 younger sisters, the youngest is finishing yr 12 this year and mum still remembers all the words!

^Pipit^ said:
OMG, doesn't ANYONE remember the picture book
"Hairy McLary from Donaldsons Dairy?" ????

That was a favourite of mine, and my 2 younger sisters, the youngest is finishing yr 12 this year and mum still remembers all the words!

Hairy Maclary ruled. There's a whole series of new books about his adventures and those of all his friends out - like, at least 15 new books. And an audio tape, an audio CD, and a DVD collection.

I haven't bought them yet, but I will. "For Georgia". Ahuh ;)

Other favourite books of mine when I was a little tacker were The Tiger Who Came To Tea, There's A Hippopotamus On The Roof Eating Cake, Where The Wild Things Are and Whistle Down The Chimney (good LORD, is it any wonder I took psychadelics as a teenager?). I also loved a book called The Man Whose Mother Was A Pirate, and all the versions of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

When I was a bit older it was all about Enid Blyton, The Babysitters Club, Christopher Pike books (does anyone remember him? he was like R.L. Stine, but cooler), and some weird random books with cool covers that I coveted from the library.

In fact, I still have a big copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar that I borrowed from the SA State Library when I was 4. They closed down and I never did work out where to take it back to..

^^^ Christopher Pike rocks... still have a shit load of his books in my book collection...

add to the list:

Anna Sewell - Black Beauty
and I had (and still have) two giant books entitled "The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll" and "The Complete Works of Hans Christian Anderson" which i still adore :)

adding to my short previously mentioned list:
roald dahl,
john marsden,
paul jennings,
asterix comics!
tintin comics!
\O/

I have fond memories as a kid of reading these particular novels - at the end of each page there was mutiple choice options with the page number of that choice - it allwoed you to have a few endings for that story depending on your decisions. I'm not sure if they are still around these days.

OMG! the choose your own adventure books rawked!

I sued to have a boz of them but they went when I moved to sydney and had to get rid of loads of my books.

^ I hated those choose your own adventure books, they had no substance :)

I probably already mentioned this a page or so back but Famous Five was where it was at for me when I was in primary school. Fucking George though - She owns an island and she still spends half of each book whingeing when she doesn't get her own way. An ISLAND for fucks sake!

I liked my "Where's Elvis?" book, much like "Where's Wally?" but featuring Elvis instead!!!

- Where the wild things are
- There's a sea in my bedroom
- On the way home
- Enid Blighton; the faraway tree, wishing chair etc.
- Roald Dahl; The BFG
- Goosebumps...... FEAR STREET! I used to get so scared over Fear Street books but forced myself to keep reading cos they always end happy!! :)

ticki ticki tembo = best book ever. sometimes when my mum was reading it to me she would try and get away with only saying the shortened version of his name, but i always caught her out and would not stand for her shenanigans.

i also loved a book called ben's wednesday
so much to tell you-john marsden
where the wild things are
rodney rat and the sunken treasure
coles funny picture book
faraway tree series (i actually started reading these agin about a week ago)

i'm really starting to love the fact that my parents are entirely unable to thrwo away any book that comes into their possession, now i get to go and read all these great books again.

The Pokey Little Puppy.
That book was one of the greatest one I was a child.
Also, any of those little puffin books (the ones with the penguins).
My Nanna would buy me one every time I would visit and go food shopping (they were sold at the supermarket.. assume they still are).
:)

Did anyone else ever go to Dromkeen? It's this place where they make children's books I think.... or just promote them, not sure. But I remember going on a school trip there, having a picnic, and learning about how the book "Possum Magic" was made.

I must have been only 7 or 8 but I still remember it, it was when I decided Iwas going to be a writer :)

Does that place still exist?

ANYTHING by Enid Blyton! omg the "enchanted woods" the magic faraway tree" "the wishing chair" "the wishing chair again" omg! they are still the greatest books of all time! and then u get into all the other ones like somehting aobut happy elves or naughty elves... or something! and then u have the "secret 7" series! OMG !

Whord to the saucepan man!

I remember sooo many of these books...
Esp the Narnia series
what about the Fraggles...?
I was a big reader, I'd read most of tolkien, anne mcaffery, anything by diana wynne jones, by the time I was 13.
and Alice in wonderland, through the looking glass.
so many... way too many to go on about:)