Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Books you loved when you were younger

Re: Re: Books you loved when you were younger

BREAKaBEAT said:
But my favorite book when I was about 11 years old I was given a copy of charles dickens " Great Expectations" . I lurrved this book to no end!

Man, I had to read it for the HSC and bloody hated it hehe

I must also add Paul Jennings is really cool!!

Dammit, must stay out of this thread now.

8o

Everything by Dr. Seuss. I still love reading them to kids nowadays.

Complete Dr. Doolittle series.

The Sly Old Wardrobe (But I can't remember who wrote it.)

As a teenager, I loved To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I just reread it recently to see what I thought about the book's themes as an adult. What a powerful, well written book!

Every Phantom comic I could lay my hands on.

^ To Kill A Mockingbird is in my top three books of all time. I don't know why but it really struck a chord with me. :)

i loved reading
* Virginia Andrews: Flowers in the Attic, Petals in the Wind etc...
* When the Wind Changed
* John Marsdons When the War Began Series,Letters From the Inside
* Paul Jennings series
* Dr Suess collection
* Baby Sitters Club
* School Stories
* Goosebumps - R.L Stine
* The Faraway Tree, The Wishing Chair collection
* Roald Dahl's collection - Matilda, the Twigs and the BFG being the best
* Clifford collection (i got his colouring-in books and everythin)
* The Golden Books for Children

haha fuck books were da bombs back in the day haha ... remeber when it used to be cool in that shcolastic book club and u used to hang out for the next issue of all the books they had for sale ... haha ah those were the days .....

some of my faves back in the old skool days were:

* babysitters club (Stacey was the best one i tells ya haha :p)
* goose bumps (RL stine)
* fear street (RL stine)
* sweet valley high
* Tin Tin
* Nancy Drew
* Roald Dahl's books
* those books from that author umm and he made some really funny books when i was in primary school .... paul something ....umm ... he made that show round the twist .... hmmm cant remeber his name but he had wikkid books when i was a youngin haha .....

hmmm thats all i can think of for the mo :)

paul jennings

hehe, i just remembered, i wrote to him once and i got a reply with a diary and some writing tips and all kiddy stuff like that. yay for fan satisfaction (kinda like customer satisfaction)

katmeow =D

animalia by graeme base, thats it! thankyou :) now that i know the name, i can buy the book for my daughter..

..kytnism..:|

ahhh

So many of you loved the books I loved! I forgot all about them.

When I was really young I loved enid blyton books...then I moved on to her "Claudine at St Clairs" group...
I was into Baby Sitters Club for a while (ok, a few years...)
OMG - I had completely forgotten about the Faraway Tree. I LOVED that...fantasty :D Also the Enchanted Wood. Who were these by?
I liked Goosebumps for a little while, then went off them
Hans Christian Anderson fairytales were great
I loved the Trixie Belden series...kind of like Nancy Drew but more boyish.
I loved Nancy Drew.
Haha, I also was into Sweet Valley High..and later the older books, when they got older.
I absolutely loved the John Marsden series...When the war began and letters from the inside...hell, I'm gonna go to the library now and read em again!
In Grade 5 I got an absolutely fantastic book, I remember pouring over it over and over again...still read it occasionally. "Snowfall", I'm not sure who it's by
I HATED Roald Dahl and didn't like Paul Jennings
I completely loved the Virginia Andrews "Flowers in the Attic" series - I didn't know that anyone else knew about it! I read em when I was really young as well and was lucky that my mum never checked their content!
I loved Gone with the Wind, but more so it's sequel
I liked Dean Koonz for a while..my aunty had a bit of his stuff and I read anything I could get my hands on.

that's all i can remember right now..i used to love reading. my own little world...i was a smart kid so i think reading helped me learn. i don't read much anymore and looking back over these it's a pity. anybody have any suggestions of good authors now? i picked up 'a picture of dorian grey' by oscar wilde the other day but haven't started yet. i mostly read non-fiction or stuff based on true stories now, or political stuff. damn cable tv makes me lazy!

peace

:D:D:D
How could I have forgotten Judy Blume?

katmeow - I loved a series about gymnasts, it could have been called that. One book I remember...one of the gymnasts was making a comeback, was still dealing with bulimia...did some new move and won...yes dodgy sounding but when you are a kid it's great!

And also, I had to read Z for Zacharia when i was in year 10 or 11 and I really liked that too.
"The Handmaiden's Tale" was also fantastic...by Margaret Atwood.

Backo said:
Where the wild things are

haha when i was is in kindergarten we had to perform a play to that at macquarie centre! i was part of the ocean

my favourte book was "what do people do all day" by richard scarry...

then in my later childhood famous five, faraway tree and all of that

Frank Herbert!

Dune! :O
sequels!

Terry Pratchett, which I still read now :D

FoXi said:

There are heaps more I'm sure but I can't really remember. I got into Stephen King when I was a bit older and I have to agree with those people who already mentioned Eyes of the Dragon, The Talisman and The Dark Tower series. Excellent reading! So many people think that Sk is just a horror author.

Fucking A... Eyes of the dragon rocks... You get to find out a bit more about Flagg...

Anyways I can't believe noone had mentioned the hardy boys yet... Fuck if there was one fictional character I could have been when I was younger it would have been Frank Hardy for sure...
The Narnia books were good as were the black cauldron ones...
I was a sucker for the famous five, secret seven, fabulous four etc.
Always thought the goosebump books were a bit easy reading but then I again I read lord of the rings in year 5...
Christopher Pike has got to have been one of my favorite authors when I was younger... A teen author who wasn't afraid too tackle issues like sex and gory violence... That man was talking to ya not down on ya...

If anyone hasn't read the spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster I recommend you grab them now... They are some of the funniest books I have read in a long time.. with the exception of anything by Dougls Adams :)

Nice thread... I could write a 3 page essay on this shit...

Isn't it funny, I actually took my bubba to the library the other day for story telling and ended up borrowing the lion the witch and the wardrobe, then I log on to bluelight for the first time in AGES and you are talking about it ;)

katmeow - My sister and I used to have the Gymnasts books, I loved them.

Also, in 1989 when I had my tonsils out, my mum bought me the first two books in a series called the Saddle Club. Well Well Well, its now one of the most popular series for kids!! I find it soo amusing it only took like 13 odd years to be discovered ;)

I also loved a book called "I'm Taggerty Toad" and if anyone has it anywhere I would love to buy it, cause you can't anymore!

Hmm what else, also loved Virginia Andrews (any of the series) and I love the Clan of the Cave Bear Series (started reading it when I was in year 7 and still waiting for her to publish more books). Love Enid Blyton and still have all of her books on my bookcase, and I LOVE the Hobbit, though I could never get into The Lord of the Rings! Judy Blume was fantastic, and Robin Klein - who could forget Hating Alison Ashley!! Ahhh reading, a passion I will always have, and I love going to the library and borrowing "children's books" to read!! Good things I have a child to take or people would think I liked the library ;)

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
I read all of John Marsden's 'Tomorrow, when the war began' series (fucking brilliant books) and am going to start on Harry Potter next =D

i was going to mention these, and only these, when i read the subject... but everyone has already :( can't rave about this series enough!! i waited upon every new book in the series to come out each year!

ok, i was a *total* book whore when i was a little kid, so i read practically all of the stuff that's been mentioned - favourites were probably roald dahl, enid blyton, judy blume, john marsden and c.s. lewis (narnia, of course).

to add a couple of personal faves that i haven't seen mentioned yet; michael ende's the neverending story. it's the best kid's book ever, and i still look to sit down and give it a read on a cold wet winter's day, when the rain's pelting down on the roof and i'm snuggled up in bed. it's perfect for it. i read the book so much in primary school (once or twice a year, but that was a lot for a kid with a 377 page book :)) that in grade six my librarian actually *gave* me the book. i was thrilled, and i've still got it.

others (authors unknown): finders keepers and the clock*something* by colin...someone...i think, and the aftershock books (aftershock was the second, iirc...i also loved gillian rubinstein's space demons. anyone remember any of those?

i think i read most of paul jennings' and stephen king's books twice over too...they ruled (king still does).

Where the Wild Things Are
Alice in Wonderland <---------alltime Favourite book ever
Behind the Looking Glass
Ferdinand the Bull
Harry the Dirty Dog
What-a-mess
The Lorax
Grug
The Mr Men and Little Miss series (particularly Mr Messy)
The Witches (the Roald Dahl version)
Any Richard Scarry stuff,

And what was that book, I think it was called "in a dark dark house", and it went like "in a dark dark house in a dark dark wood, there was a dark dark door to some dark dark stairs...etc etc until you discovered there was a ghost in the cupboard)

(edit : How could I forget that book "There's a hippopotamus on my roof eating cake" ?)

Last edited:
^^^ all of those rule, particularly alice in wonderland, grug (FUCK YEAH!) and the "dark, dark" one...i remember that too, but i'm fucked if i know what it was.

strangely, i forgot one of my favourite kid's books ever - meg and mog. damn those books rox0red my sox0rs.

anyone else like that weird book full of maths facts? i think it had a whale on the front cover, and the kid's name was frank. i think...