• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Blood pressure medication for meth high. Beta-1 blocker and Alpha-1 blocker combo.

ag4fc3

Greenlighter
I'm looking for good medication to keep BP/HR in safe range during methamphetamine high.

I've come across several scientific publications. In summary:

1. There is hardly any evidence that "unopposed alpha stimulation" phenomenon from taking beta blockers alone occurs in practice although some medics avoid using beta blocker without alpha blocker because of the theory.
  2. Combo medications (beta + alpha blockers) available in my area, like Carvedilol, do not lower BP significally. Larger doses just lower heart rate even more while BP is still high. For Carvedilol particularly it seems to be true.
  3. Beta-1 blocker is what is more effective to keep BP safe in comparison to non-selective/beta-2 blockers. Also, most adverse side effects of BP medication come from beta-2 blockade effects, not beta-1.

I guess I could miss something. Please correct me if I'm wrong at those points or if you have to add something to it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Although "unopposed alpha stimulation" is just theory, I would like combination of both beta and alpha blockers to be used.

My main question is:

Is taking some beta-1 blocker like Nebivolol in combination with some alpha-1 blocker a safe way to keep BP and heart rate in normal range during methamphetamine effects/post-effects? Is it as safe as Carvedilol as long as both blockers (beta and alpha) onset/half-life times are relatively equal and should the onset/half-life times be exactly equal for the combination to be safe?

Here are some of publications my points are based on:

Edit: publications links added

Last edited:
Hey man, I think what you're describing here is a cool idea. I think of similar stuff from time to time. The only problem is that to really develop findings and data that we know for fact is genuine, takes a lot of time and a lot of work. You are only one man and your results will not equal one tenth of one percent of what we would require to even begin to deduce this sort of thing.

I think it is very interesting, i just feel that you might have a hard time getting off the ground, as it were, with this idea. I have thought the same thing with Clonidine (Catapres) and stimulant-increased blood pressure/heart rate. It has worked before and other times it has not. Who knows really?

If I feel too high or like my bpm/bp are too high I typically take a benzo (if you can get RC's Pyrazolam 1mg is perfect as it's the ultimate "functioning" benzo and it does spoil any of the stimulant hight) as they work very well (an very quickly if you chew them).
I have used Beta Blockers before (Propranolol once, Bisoprolol a few times) and they certainly helped. Check if they are instant-release or one-a-day. The Bisoprolol I used were 5mg 24-hour ones so I'd chew one up and it'd work all at once.
I'd keep a benzo as first go-to drug and then a Beta Blocker if you don't have one.

I find clonidine which I am prescribed for something else does a good job. I have barely ever felt bpm/bp too high despite taking large IV doses of meth. Apparently clondine is an 'alpha agonist'

From my experience with using them together when I’ve been particularly bothered by stim tachycardia after a multi hour (or day) on-off meth session, I take 50mg metoprolol Im prescribed for elevated heart rate related to anxiety. Very useful and eliminates the palpitations pretty much every time. Something useful to have around for me.

Last edited: