• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ethnobotanicals Blood pressure levels on LSD?

sadmachine

Bluelighter
My blood pressure is generally on the slightly higher side (mostly due to smoking and being an anxious person) and I usually sit around 130/80. If I smoke some strong weed It'll easily get to 145/90.

Yesterday I had a powerful acid trip (2 tabs of unknown strength) and during the peak I was getting readings of 160/90. At the time my rationality was so lost I couldn't comprehend whether this was absurdly high or reasonable given the circumstances, which in hindsight made me chuckle.

I'd like to take an even stronger trip in a weeks time, my doctor tells me anything over 180/120 (either) is straight to the ER for a hypertensive emergency. Being that the systolic 160 is only 20 units away from 180 makes me a little uneasy, i'd imagine more LSD = higher BP.

If I did hit the mid 170's or even over 180 during the peak, should I be off to the ER?

It's high, but not absurdly or dangerously high. I've been living with blood pressure higher than 160/90 for many years, throughout my early 30s.

my doctor tells me anything over 180/120 (either) is straight to the ER for a hypertensive emergency.
This is correct.

But it's diastolic, the bottom number, which is really the important one and more indicative of danger if high. If that goes above 100-110 I'd start becoming concerned. The first number is less important.

My blood pressure is generally on the slightly higher side (mostly due to smoking and being an anxious person) and I usually sit around 130/80. If I smoke some strong weed It'll easily get to 145/90.

Yesterday I had a powerful acid trip (2 tabs of unknown strength) and during the peak I was getting readings of 160/90. At the time my rationality was so lost I couldn't comprehend whether this was absurdly high or reasonable given the circumstances, which in hindsight made me chuckle.

I'd like to take an even stronger trip in a weeks time, my doctor tells me anything over 180/120 (either) is straight to the ER for a hypertensive emergency. Being that the systolic 160 is only 20 units away from 180 makes me a little uneasy, i'd imagine more LSD = higher BP.

If I did hit the mid 170's or even over 180 during the peak, should I be off to the ER?
180/120 is NOT NECESSARILY a hypertensive emergency.

Your doctor means 180/120 when you're just sitting around relaxing without anything artificially increasing it LIKE DRUGS.

If you're at the gym working out, your systolic pressure can routinely exceed 200mm Hg, and your diastolic can easily exceed 100.

People on METH routinely get higher BP.

If you are worried get some tolazoline or another alpha receptor antagonist that causes vasodilation.

Tolazoline has been used to counteract the vasoconstriction caused by DOB, Bromo-dragonfly and other 5HT agonist OD. Since the issue is also 5-HT vasoconstriction caused by LSD it should work.

You can look up Wikipedia to find the correct alpha adrenergic receptor antagonist for vasodilation.

Of interest, the vasoconstriction induced by meth is primarily caused by the increased release of endothelin-1, and increased NE, not the effect of 5HT.

Last edited:

Just check the profile of the hypertensive medication.

Ketanserin, an anti-hypertensive used outside the US is also a potent serotonin antagonist at the 5-HT2a receptor.

It prevents the effects of LSD from occurring if given pre-use. It also reverses the effects of LSD if given after the effects have started reducing the duration to 3.5 hours.