Blocking

Zephyn

Bluelighter
I know there is ignore, but you should have the option also to block, so the user cannot see your posts. Can you guys add this feature?

I know there is ignore, but you should have the option also to block, so the user cannot see your posts. Can you guys add this feature?

Ok well take what I'm about to say as an educated guess. Cause I'm not in a position to give a definitive answer.

But I doubt such a feature already exists in the forum software, if so adding it would likely be problematic.

But say we could. I don't believe those responsible ever would. For at least this as a major reason reason...

For it to work, you'd have to account for people viewing the site who aren't logged in.

Which means doing one of two things. Either 1. Letting the blocked person just sign out or open a private tab and see what you've said. Which would make the feature almost useless.

Or 2. Block your posts not just for the blocked user but also any site visitors as well.

For those reasons I doubt we would ever enable such a feature even if we could.

But as I said I'm just giving an educated guess. Only the admins could give you a more definitive answer. :)

But I doubt such a feature already exists in the forum software

This is reality. Such a function does not exist, nor have I ever heard of anyone attempting such a mechanicsm.

Only the admins could give you a more definitive answer. :)

Without a doubt, your reply has proven this statement untrue. Everything I would have mustered would come up short of your stellar reply. You get a gold star for today.

This is reality. Such a function does not exist, nor have I ever heard of anyone attempting such a mechanicsm.

Without a doubt, your reply has proven this statement untrue. Everything I would have mustered would come up short of your stellar reply. You get a gold star for today.
I mean, im sure it is possible, not too difficult.

Of course it would have the limitations that Jess mentioned.

as the others have alluded to, we do not construct our own software. Most forums, including ours, have a certain number of features available to us. If it's not there we cant do much about it, unfortunately.

Reactions: CFC
as the others have alluded to, we do not construct our own software. Most forums, including ours, have a certain number of features available to us. If it's not there we cant do much about it, unfortunately.
I don't mean to be pedantic, but its just php, you *could*, but whether or not whoever is trusted enough to have the access to do that would feel like wasting such time, is another story.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but its just php, you *could*, but whether or not whoever is trusted enough to have the access to do that would feel like wasting such time, is another story.

Well yeah, if you throw enough resources at a problem you can do pretty much anything provided it's actually possible to do it.

But we're a drug harm reduction forum staffed by volunteers. :D

Reactions: CFC
whoever is trusted enough to have the access

we're a drug harm reduction forum staffed by volunteers. :D

So, with these combined thoughts, we can establish that of our stellar pool of volunteers, we trust noone, even the few that may have the skills, and are generally too stoned to do anything effectively. I may not be doing drugs so much anymore, but I still consider myself untrustworthy and incompetent, for what its worth. :\

I can't think to what end it would actually be a useful function though tbh mate. BL is a public forum, and most subforums are open for non-member guests to read and learn from. Thus, as soon as any 'blocked' member logs out, all blocked posts would become visible again.

I appreciate it's a bit trite to say this, but the most effective and reliable way to ignore or block another user is just to stop paying attention to the things they post, and to instead talk to other members you do want to interact with :)

I noticed the other day a mod cannot block or ignore another mod. Seems like we are stuck with each other. Can civilians ignore mods?

I noticed the other day a mod cannot block or ignore another mod. Seems like we are stuck with each other. Can civilians ignore mods?

No. Noone in staff can be placed on ignore by anyone.

It's something of an unfortunate sledgehammer approach to solve the problem of "what if I as staff need to tell someone something but they have me on ignore?"

A better solution would be a checkbox which essentially marks a post or message as official business, and then only those bypass ignore while other messages and posts don't.

That way you could still post as a regular person and be subject to ignores, but bypass it for staff business.

Alas we have what we have. For this reason when people have asked me to leave them alone I've generally heeded their request. If I weren't staff in theory I could just say if they don't like it ignore it. But since they can't, if it's not for staff purposes I'll generally adhere to their request to leave them alone.

For example, if a user is following you or has a private message thread with you, changing your username doesn't help you

Who rattled your cage this badly @Zephyn? Hope it wasn't me! :ROFLMAO: You want me to sort them out for ya (with excessive or lethal force)? :ROFLMAO: