View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Big Issue, lots of qs, need help -- Wellbutrin and shrooms

flawblure

Greenlighter
tl;dr. (Hopefully not needed on a real forum :p) I read all the info here that says wellbutrin and shrooms don't interact, they defiantly do, and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad reaction.

Firstly, I did look at the mega thead and saw the supposed "no interaction" between the two. I can't believe this at all. A friend of mine took 2.4g of shrooms yesterday, there good shrooms. I took 5.5g (I have a large tolerance, I've been taking these shrooms 2 or so times a week for the last 2 or 3 weeks, would a 2 week break make my tolerance dissapear?)

Eitherway, he was tripping, apparently really hard, then I decided we should go see Avatar in 3D, in the elevator he said "no im tripping to hard" and then straight up collapsed. Me and a friend were there so he didn't fall cause we caught him, but he would have. This was right as the door to the lobby opened, immediately we went back up to my house and on the way up in the elevator he collapsed again.

We brought him to the bathroom, he said he now felt fine; he was not. His eyes started rolling around, I gave him 2mg of xanax immediately, another 2mg 20 mins later, 1mg of klonopin about 30 minutes after that, and another 1mg of xanax another 15 or so mins after that. Even on 6mgs of benzos it took FOREVER for him to stop tripping. And even almost 2 hours after the benzos he said he was still tripping a bit. That being said, the xanax did seem to bring him off his insane peak quickly enough. 6mgs of benzos, especially the 5mg of xanax, should easily cancel out a shrooms trip of 2.4g, thats not that high a dose. Shit I only need to take 2-3mg of klonopin toward the end of my peak and I'll pass out an hour later, and as I said I'm taking much larger amounts due to tolerance. My benzo tolerance is also larger, though I don't know if that effects how it interacts with psys.

Maybe my shrooms are just fantastic, I've had such a high tolerance to shrooms in general. (I had taken an 8th on the 16th, and then a quarter on the 19th, these shrooms were city shrooms, home grown, not dank, but I guess they did the trick for tolerance, eitherway then my own shrooms came in so I've not yet been able to truly see how good they are on zero or low tolerance. I trip quite hard whenever I take them, but as I said I've been taking on avg 5gs)

The question eitherway, what the fuck happened. He had zero tolerance to shrooms, had only taken it once before, hes on 450mg of wellbutrin daily. He described it in that he just couldnt see, which to me means he was tripping so visually hard that he interpereted that as simply not being able to see anything.

It was only 2.4g I weighed it out exactly as he didn't wanna take TO much. 2.4g of shrooms shouldn't do that alone, my friend experienced ego death on an 8th once but those were even better shrooms than the ones I have.

So basically, I see all this info on how wellbutrin and shrooms is fine, I don't think it is. Maybe not in a bad way, but it must increase the trip somehow. He clearly wasn't having seizures as if he was the xanax wouldn't have done shit. His eyes were rolling, he was blacking out, I was very confused. I've only seen anything at all similar to this when someone on zero tolerance took 4 tabs of acid (2 tabs and then 2 more at the very end of his peak) and that was VASTLY worse than this. We had no benzos on hand, he was yelling, bugging out, but thats another story.

So again, any ideas?

Also, after all the benzos he was just really spacy, which seemed logical since he was now on a fuck ton of benzos. Hopefully I'll talk to him about it today, he said he couldn't remember anything in the elevator, he remembered how he feels... but he couldn't see. I've just never seen anyone trip like that except that one time from acid. Sorry for the long winded post, but this is a very good friend of mine and wants to try shrooms again, but we need to get this sorted out cause that was just rediculous.

P.S. How can I trip this hard myself? lmao (At the very least there probably better methods of taking shrooms, I just chew em up until there a mush and they dissolve/get swallowed.)

not being able to see is a symptom of low blood sugar or low blood pressure, and it is a common symptom you get right before fainting. what was his diet and water consumption like before dosing? also, what about smoking (tobacco and/or weed)

any anxiety during the come-up can also potentiate a positive feedback loop of adrenaline release, which when combined with other drugs can make the body panic and possibly shut down.

i do not believe wellbutrin has zero interaction with shrooms. in fact, it shares its basic skeleton with stimulants in the cathinone family, and definitely lowers the seizure threshold.

Panic attack can cause fainting when combined with shrooms, sure. In fact, one of the side effects of Wellbutrin is increased anxiety and chance for convulsion. You definitely did the right thing giving him benzos.

2.4g of good shrooms can be a lot for someone who isn't experienced.

Who knows exactly what happened, but maybe the fact that he's on wellbutrin should be a sign that he shouldn't trip or becareful when tripping. Or people just react differently on drugs (which is true).

Also benzos won't kill a trip, just help diminish some of the effects and relieve some anxiety. It isn't a cure all while tripping.

not being able to see is a symptom of low blood sugar or low blood pressure, and it is a common symptom you get right before fainting. what was his diet and water consumption like before dosing? also, what about smoking (tobacco and/or weed)

any anxiety during the come-up can also potentiate a positive feedback loop of adrenaline release, which when combined with other drugs can make the body panic and possibly shut down.

i do not believe wellbutrin has zero interaction with shrooms. in fact, it shares its basic skeleton with stimulants in the cathinone family, and definitely lowers the seizure threshold.

We smoked alot, he more than me, just smoking straight through the trip. I smoked at the peak. All we had eaten that day was splitting a foot long chicken bacon ranch, and apparently he in general has low blood pressure, is supposed to drink n eat shit, like gatorade, through the day. Which I guess we didnt, we just ate shrooms. I guess that for the most part could explain it?

He just still seemed to be tripping to hard for just 2.4g of shrooms, before, and especially after, 6mg of benzos. Thats why I wonder about the interaction of wellbutrin.

I'm amusing when you say smoked, you are talking about weed. Weed can bring a trip to a whole different level on psychedelics. I've had 3.5 g of mushrooms almost turn into an egoloss situation because of a large bong rip I had.

Anxiety while tripping after smoking weed seems pretty common. I've noticed from my time here that half the people who trip don't like to consume weed during the experience due to this.

Set and setting make a big difference aswell. A movie theater, or anywhere in public can completely alter the intensity of an experience, even after your leave.

I think maybe the welbutrin might have had an effect, but there are so many other factors that could play into this.

yeah, case pretty much closed.

very important things to consider (call them rules of tripping)
1. medications that affect the mind or mood will affect the trip, even if the medications do not specifically cause dangerous interactions with the trip drug in question.
2. mental condition is directly dependant on physical condition. your brain requires sugar to function, and tripping is a function. don't fast before a trip unless you are VERY experienced with fasting in general. NEVER go more than a couple hours without water and electrolytes!
3. always have a failsafe place to be in case you need medical attention or just a place to sit down and catch your breath.

obviously these are just general physical things to consider. there's a whole host of psychic effects you should take into account when someone is prescribed mind or mood altering drugs by a doctor who (ideally) knows what is best for them.

tripping while under the care of a mental health professional is like learning to jump a motorcycle while recovering from a broken leg. it's possible, just a bad idea and you can really hurt yourself.

...The question eitherway, what the fuck happened. He had zero tolerance to shrooms, had only taken it once before, hes on 450mg of wellbutrin daily. He described it in that he just couldnt see, which to me means he was tripping so visually hard that he interpereted that as simply not being able to see anything.

What is the Wellbutrin prescribed for? My guess is that someone taking medications to treat a mental health issue thought it would be a good idea to dabble in psychedelics and shit hit the fan as it normally does in these situations. Mental health issues + drugs = bad idea.