Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Best Stand-Up Comedy Specials

um, sarah silverman, laura kightlinger, maria bamford (she's so demented- i love it!), ellen degeneres (yes, i love her), margaret cho, kathy griffin (think i'm in the minority here)...um, who else?

and the male:female ratio is staggering.

You forgot Paula Poundstone 8) ;)

Add Rosie O'Donnell to that list and you have the eighth circle of Hell.

Louis CK is absolutely amazing - he and Greg Giraldo might be the two best non-world-famous comedians still playing clubs and theatres today.

And Pat Dixon and Ted Alexandro are hot on their heels.

All four of those comics are well worth watching, if you want to get a peek at what is, in my strong opinion, some of the smartest stand-up out there right now.

With all of that said, the three best Comedy Central Presents Half-Hour Specials, in my strong opinion, are these:

(1) Mitch Hedberg (1999)

(2) Dave Attell (1999)

(3) Anthony Jeselnik (2010)

There are SO many excellent comics now - so much many more than there ever have been before.

Largely BECAUSE of the emergence of Hedberg & Attell, who, by developing extremely likable cool personas, and by telling BRILLIANTLY written jokes, led MANY twenty- and thirty-somethings in the late '90's - early 2000's to embark on stand-up careers, SIMPLY FOR THE LOVE OF DOING STAND-UP (as opposed to the comedy "boom" in the 1980's, when many unfunny people over-saturated the market with mediocre comedy for the sake of getting easy money and fame (which, in turn, led to the great comedy bust of the early 1990's).

Jeselnik's a fucking genius - you can get his Comedy Central Presents on iTunes for $1.99.

Get it.

Thank me later.

Mitch Hedberg for sure.

And I do not like most stand-up comedy.

Chris Rock - "Bring the Pain" (filmed before he got too famous)

Lee Evans - "Live at Her Majesty's" or "XL Tour" (he's hit and miss sometimes, you're probably better off getting a 'best bits' off youtube)

Stand up comedy specials

Recommend to me some comedy specials, because I feel like I have seen every single comedy special evar made.

Ive seen everything by

Chris Rock
Dave Chapelle
Dave Attell
Dane Cook
Mike Epps
Sarah Silverman

so dont bother with those guys. Tell me some comedy specials I dont know about.

Jim Jefferies. Watch the I Swear to God special. Funniest dude I've ever seen. He's an Australian that says cunt a lot. =D

Kevin Hart is excellent.
Jim Gaffigan
Gabriel Iglesias
Mitch Hedberg (R.I.P.)
ill think of more later.

Louis CK (all)
Mitch Hedberg (all)
George Carlin (all)
Sebastian (Sebastian: Live)
Daniel Tosh (Completely Serious)

Figure I'll stick my head in and contribute nothing, but shit yeah those comedians TALLY listed are gold :p

Love Dave Chappelle.

Ricky Gervais. Start with Animals, then watch Politics, then Fame. (I actually watched his comedy series, The Office, before I ever watched his stand up. He was a comedy writer before he ever did stand up. Animals was his first ever stand up gig).

I've also watched every stand up comedy special by Dylan Moran (some of them are on YouTube in parts).

(PS. Both of these suggestions are UK humour. PPS. I love Dave Chappelle's show, but I love his stand up even more, and his interview on In the Actors Studio is great.)

Eddie Izzard never disappoints, IMO. Let me second Jim Jeffries and Mitch Hedberg, as well as throwing Lewis Black into the list. The late Richard Jeni is also a terribly underrated comic. For black comics, rent Kings of Comedy just for Bernie Mac's segment (Richard Pryor is too easy, though his stuff is still incredible all these years later).

As for women, my favorite comedienne is Maria Bamford, with Laura Kightlinger a close second, though I don't think the latter has done anything in a long time.

Last edited:
very good recommendations by all. I forgot to list Louis ck and Aziz Ansari in my list. Ive seen everything of theirs. I wish Aziz would come out with another special.