• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Best relationship with a drug & why?

Beautiful... I wish I had written that!

But to be fair it's an awfully Sunny assessment. Most of us w/opioid addiction histories realize that the past is rarely behind us. It's not even past.
You're right, it is sunny. Obviously, there have been a lot of dark patches along the way, and other buzzwords like "toxic," "codependent," and "gaslighting" might be relevant as well.

But even though I truly loved these other drugs (and got myself fully addicted to each of them), my relationships with alcohol/stimulants/nitrous/benzos were never on the same level -- they were relationships of utility ("help me socialize," "help me be alone," "help me work," "help me stop thinking").

I didn't romanticize opiates, but it was clear - just from the nature of drug - that our lives were going to become entwined in a much more profound way...and that I needed the wisdom to recognize that.

For me I would have to say MDA and Acid were the most memorable times along with large consumption of good Weed. Xanax also was great to mellow out back in the day. I think MDMA combined with allot of Tequila Sunrise back in the 1990s was very very memorable as well. Stopped for few years in early 2000s and got hooked on cocaine back then and that was interesting for couple of years. Then when fully discovered the cheap bliss of RCs back in 2010 it was back to the big Music Festivals and big Clubs like in Vegas and Miami. Had huge resurgence back to 1990s rave music and have not stopped since. Wish I could have discovered all that magic medicine back then but only Ketamine and MDMA were big during those days along with acid. Music absolutely sucks since about 2020 and zero talent with music today. Good music was up till 2017 and then it went dead. US is getting to be less exciting since 2018 and just wish at least Weed is legalized nationwide by 2022.

Last edited:
My best relationship with a drug is by far alcohol, I think. Maybe it’s horrible and so am I often times if I’m on some mad bender but it’s my first true love in the Drug world. Except maybe pot but that didn’t stick.

maybe cigarettes because they do so little for me that it’s just a habit and no major stress most days? That’s not a bad relationship
To have, except one day I’ll be like 38 or something and Kung cancer but that’s at least a breath take away from now.
@Outlier I like wine & beer, lager. But alcohol is culture specific, innit. Here in America as you guys call it, we of course had prohibition. I think it's possible to trace a direct line from that to the rather dismal state of public drinking opportunities even before lockdowns. Not for nothing we invented the Dive Bar popularized by infamous writers like Bukowski. The problem is most of them are decrepit places compared to pubs

England has a much better, or should I say had, before the pandemic, culture of social and cultural alcohol consumption. Pubs are (were?) welcoming to whole families at least up until tea (dinner)...

I'd like to buy you a pint, especially at a pub somewhere in the Midlands like Leicester. I have a lot of family (still) around that area. Retired uncles who worked at factories making proud British products or down the mines before they closed and who love(d) traveling to Spain & Greece... imagine they despise Boris Johnson and anyway would never vote for Tories.

My Dad told us he drove old ladies to the polling place to vote for the Labour MP / candidate as a young man. That would have been the bleak post-war period, the war just missed him had VE day not come for another year he would have been in it. One thing people don't remember very well was just how bleak life was, rationing of staples continued for years even as the Marshall Plan transformed the ruins of German cities into Phoenixes rising from the ashes. Each member of my Mom's family received a coupon book allowing them to purchase an amount of sugar, flour, one egg a week.

Much as the First, the ending of the Second World War was a farce when scientists, intelligence agents and all but the most infamous members of the Nazi Brain Trust were snapped up by either the Americans or Russians and put right back to work, their reputations thoroughly scrubbed.

By the time he passed away several years ago he had soured on the establishment left and 2-party hegemony as had I, separately, as we were mostly estranged for years but thankfully reconciled a few years before he died. We talked politics, its beauty as blood sport, its brutality in application, and found solace in our mutual hatred of ALL politicians, which we loved. It was my first and worst relationship to a strong mind-altering drug, one spoon fed me by my own father. And I don't regret it. Not yet

I imagine he would be very disappointed with Mr Starmer... I don't know. I just know he despised Tony Blair (Unbelievable that tosser still walks about freely, probably advocating something global to appease murky handlers in return for which he's now a multi-millionaire. Funny how that happens to those from the left who carry water for the elites the Clintons flat broke the Obamas not much better off (she had practiced corporate law). Multi-millionaires now. They weren't born into it like Boris and the Bushes, they had to earn their corrupt credentials.

I was in England before Blair's time but the signs were everywhere, not just on billboards proclaiming New Labour,
I saw him on TV and liked his confidence even swagger. The smart money didn't talk about if but when. I wish I had known you could bet on politics ( and probably anything else for that matter, someone willing to lay odds) He was very much the Bill Clinton, though, triangulating and then going farther by being George W Bush little b****

So who does that leave us with? Lib Dems? At least you have them for comic relief.

Perhaps we could discuss football, but Leicester city don't really have a real rival anymore, do they? Would take a miracle(or a Thai billionaire) to lift Forest or Derby into the PL, are you getting the next round?

What's that? Your Canadian?

Last edited:
Dexamfetamine totally changed my life for the better. I had been all over the place mentally and really erratic behaviourally with lots of drug abuse and drinking. I’d either been an underachiever in every context my whole life or else flown super high and then crashed and burned. Doctors diagnosed me as bi-polar and fed me neuroleptics.

But then a new doctor decided I had ADHD and gave me Dex at about age 45. Next thing you know I won the University Medal for my Masters Degree, settled into a great loving relationship for almost 5 years, published a tonne of stuff, got a PhD scholarship plus a whole bunch of grants and prizes. I had never been happier or more fulfilled in my entire life:

But then, Meth….

Dexamfetamine totally changed my life for the better. I had been all over the place mentally and really erratic behaviourally with lots of drug abuse and drinking. I’d either been an underachiever in every context my whole life or else flown super high and then crashed and burned. Doctors diagnosed me as bi-polar and fed me neuroleptics.

But then a new doctor decided I had ADHD and gave me Dex at about age 45. Next thing you know I won the University Medal for my Masters Degree, settled into a great loving relationship for almost 5 years, published a tonne of stuff, got a PhD scholarship plus a whole bunch of grants and prizes. I had never been happier or more fulfilled in my entire life:

But then, Meth….
Let that be a lesson, move a few atoms around on a phenethylamine, big and not necessarily better changes.

Although that's all water under the bridge now the good doctor has been reinstated to look after us poor souls. Pretty sure I've should have taken my Lorazepam an hour ago though, could you check my chart again?

By the way isn't adderal shite? It's supposed to be composed of a 3:1 ratio dextroamphetamine:amphetamine but most generics under-deliver.

Compared to Dexedrine™
from Smith-Kline Beecham if you remember the orange triangles: 5mg tablet was pretty potent.

And what's with the salts thing. I know they had to do that in order to take an old substance and be able to patent it and make BILLIONS as Shire did. I never had it. But even if it was as stated I think the combination of salts with their different absorption, pharmacokinetics and so forth deliberately muddies the experience. If I was paranoid I would suggest that it was all planned that way, a gateway drug if you will for methamphetamine.

I base that claim on this following observation and reading of History: whenever the government Outlaw something it really means only one thing, they don't want competition for themselves or their cronies

By the way isn't adderal shite? It's supposed to be composed of a 3:1 ratio dextroamphetamine:amphetamine but most generics under-deliver.
Adderall is a combination of four amphetamine salts (D-amphetamine saccharate, D- amphetamine sulfate, D,L-amphetamine sulfate, and D,L-amphetamine aspartate), with a 3 : 1 ratio of D-isomer to L-isomer.

Different people with ADHD respond differently to the different isomers. So instead of actually working out the ideal salt/isomer combination for the individual and tailoring it they just produce a single product that covers as many people as possible and end up dosing them with amps they don't need.

It's actually just a rebadged anti-obesity drug called Orbitrol that was banned for that purpose. The naming of Adderall is actually derived from ADD (the condition) and ALL(intended to cover all sub-types of the condition).

If you read the history of it, it's shocking and criminal the way they got it approved long before any real research into either its efficacy or safety had been conducted.

Adderall is a combination of four amphetamine salts (D-amphetamine saccharate, D- amphetamine sulfate, D,L-amphetamine sulfate, and D,L-amphetamine aspartate), with a 3 : 1 ratio of D-isomer to L-isomer.

Different people with ADHD respond differently to the different isomers. So instead of actually working out the ideal salt/isomer combination for the individual and tailoring it they just produce a single product that covers as many people as possible and end up dosing them with amps they don't need.

It's actually just a rebadged anti-obesity drug called Orbitrol that was banned for that purpose. The naming of Adderall is actually derived from ADD (the condition) and ALL(intended to cover all sub-types of the condition).

If you read the history of it, it's shocking and criminal the way they got it approved long before any real research into either its efficacy or safety had been conducted.
I believe it. Meanwhile the single dextro isomer product was drastically curtailed in numbers of prescriptions written by physicians. People don't understand doctors don't make the money they used to without the perquisites that flood them from the pharmaceutical companies ... which take on increased significance when one has $300,000 of college loans to pay back

You're right, it is sunny. Obviously, there have been a lot of dark patches along the way, and other buzzwords like "toxic," "codependent," and "gaslighting" might be relevant as well.

But even though I truly loved these other drugs (and got myself fully addicted to each of them), my relationships with alcohol/stimulants/nitrous/benzos were never on the same level -- they were relationships of utility ("help me socialize," "help me be alone," "help me work," "help me stop thinking").

I didn't romanticize opiates, but it was clear - just from the nature of drug - that our lives were going to become entwined in a much more profound way...and that I needed the wisdom to recognize that.
Another beautiful piece of writing about opioids. Poetic in places, reminded me of John Cocteau's Opium: Diary of a Cure. Have you read it?

2 quotes you'll appreciate:

"Everything one does in life, even love, occurs in an express train racing toward death. To smoke opium is to get out of the train while it is still moving. It is to concern oneself with something other than life or death."

"The danger is smoking as a defense against some moral disequilibrium. Then it is difficult to approach the drug in the way it must be approached, as wild beasts should be approached — without fear."

@Outlier I like wine & beer, lager. But alcohol is culture specific, innit. Here in America as you guys call it, we of course had prohibition. I think it's possible to trace a direct line from that to the rather dismal state of public drinking opportunities even before lockdowns. Not for nothing we invented the Dive Bar popularized by infamous writers like Bukowski. The problem is most of them are decrepit places compared to pubs

England has a much better, or should I say had, before the pandemic, culture of social and cultural alcohol consumption. Pubs are (were?) welcoming to whole families at least up until tea (dinner)...

I'd like to buy you a pint, especially at a pub somewhere in the Midlands like Leicester. I have a lot of family (still) around that area. Retired uncles who worked at factories making proud British products or down the mines before they closed and who love(d) traveling to Spain & Greece... imagine they despise Boris Johnson and anyway would never vote for Tories.

My Dad told us he drove old ladies to the polling place to vote for the Labour MP / candidate as a young man. That would have been the bleak post-war period, the war just missed him had VE day not come for another year he would have been in it. One thing people don't remember very well was just how bleak life was, rationing of staples continued for years even as the Marshall Plan transformed the ruins of German cities into Phoenixes rising from the ashes. Each member of my Mom's family received a coupon book allowing them to purchase an amount of sugar, flour, one egg a week.

Much as the First, the ending of the Second World War was a farce when scientists, intelligence agents and all but the most infamous members of the Nazi Brain Trust were snapped up by either the Americans or Russians and put right back to work, their reputations thoroughly scrubbed.

By the time he passed away several years ago he had soured on the establishment left and 2-party hegemony as had I, separately, as we were mostly estranged for years but thankfully reconciled a few years before he died. We talked politics, its beauty as blood sport, its brutality in application, and found solace in our mutual hatred of ALL politicians, which we loved. It was my first and worst relationship to a strong mind-altering drug, one spoon fed me by my own father. And I don't regret it. Not yet

I imagine he would be very disappointed with Mr Starmer... I don't know. I just know he despised Tony Blair (Unbelievable that tosser still walks about freely, probably advocating something global to appease murky handlers in return for which he's now a multi-millionaire. Funny how that happens to those from the left who carry water for the elites the Clintons flat broke the Obamas not much better off (she had practiced corporate law). Multi-millionaires now. They weren't born into it like Boris and the Bushes, they had to earn their corrupt credentials.

I was in England before Blair's time but the signs were everywhere, not just on billboards proclaiming New Labour,
I saw him on TV and liked his confidence even swagger. The smart money didn't talk about if but when. I wish I had known you could bet on politics ( and probably anything else for that matter, someone willing to lay odds) He was very much the Bill Clinton, though, triangulating and then going farther by being George W Bush little b****

So who does that leave us with? Lib Dems? At least you have them for comic relief.

Perhaps we could discuss football, but Leicester city don't really have a real rival anymore, do they? Would take a miracle(or a Thai billionaire) to lift Forest or Derby into the PL, are you getting the next round?

What's that? Your Canadian?
Hockey would be my thing if that wasn’t just stereotype and actually US dominant in number of player and teams too

Im Canadian. I work without borders. Wherever you are I don’t care lol.

More quotes about the relationships of the relationship between alcohol & opiates, the meaning of euphoria + a parable:

"Wine robs a man of his self-possession: opium sustains and reinforces it .. . wine constantly leads a man to the brink of absurdity and extravagance; and, beyond a certain point, it is sure to volatilize and to disperse the intellectual energies; whereas opium always seems to compose what had been agitated, and to concentrate what had been distracted."
— Thomas De Quincey, Confessions of an English Opium Eater

"Alcohol provokes fits of madness. Opium provokes fits of wisdom"
—Jean Cocteau, Opium: Diary of a Cure

"Euphoria is a middle child, born between consciousness and sleep. It is a condition of peace and well-being, like that which follows orgasm, and not everyone reacts to it the same way. Some are entranced by the radical stillness, and lie un-moving, without thoughts. Others are so glad to be freed from the rude pushing and shoving of desire that they take advantage of their reprieve and set about finishing some piece of work. Some just let their minds drift, half awake, half dreaming, and let the yearning visions try to coax their souls up from the somatic twilight of their bodies.

Perhaps we desire death: or why is poison so sweet."
—Dale Pendell

Pendell was a poet & novelist, a scholar in the style of the 19th C. Geographer of experiences, Bird watcher, plant collector, rock gazer, and collector of oddities. A first-rate chemist and an experienced alchemist with the sensitivity to share his work with anyone curious and the precision necessary for anyone intrepid and reckless enough to replicate his experiments.
The following is from his book Pharmako Poeia, and opens the chapter EUPHORICA on papaver somniferum:

The First Doctor was a woman wise and compassionate. Because of her skill, her receptivity, her strength,and her integrity, the gods looked upon her with favor.

The First Doctor had many patients, but few medicines. She had songs, she had cereals, but the terrible cries of her patients drove her into the mountains seeking a vision of power.

In the mountains she fasted, then ate. Sang, then was quiet. She waited, she lived alone in the mountains. She met the animals, and then she met the plants.

And the gods — the spirits of the earth, the spirit of the sky, the spirits of the plants and the animals and the spirits of her ancestors — pleased with her, granted her a wish.

Briefly, the First Doctor considered. There were so many things for which one might ask: power, sustenance, energy, vision, love.

"You may have whatever you wish," the gods repeated, "from the least to the greatest."

"Then, O Gods, give me that medicine that cures pain, the medicine that eases suffering."

And the gods responded. They gave her the opium poppy, and they told her she had chosen wisely.

"After food," they told her, "this plant is our greatest gift. Use it wisely and unselfishly. It is never wrong to ease the suffering of those who do not know the secret. But remember, for yourself, who are a doctor, this plant shall ever be a poison."

08plants.png

0059389392a55fb83322cb7fa7cb3f28.jpg

For me I would have to say MDA and Acid were the most memorable times along with large consumption of good Weed. Xanax also was great to mellow out back in the day. I think MDMA combined with allot of Tequila Sunrise back in the 1990s was very very memorable as well. Stopped for few years in early 2000s and got hooked on cocaine back then and that was interesting for couple of years. Then when fully discovered the cheap bliss of RCs back in 2010 it was back to the big Music Festivals and big Clubs like in Vegas and Miami. Had huge resurgence back to 1990s rave music and have not stopped since. Wish I could have discovered all that magic medicine back then but only Ketamine and MDMA were big during those days along with acid. Music absolutely sucks since about 2020 and zero talent with music today. Good music was up till 2017 and then it went dead. US is getting to be less exciting since 2018 and just wish at least Weed is legalized nationwide by 2022.
Only ketamine, MDMA and LSD...? And probably pretty good quality. Hard to sympathize.

Raves anywhere in the world between 1989 and 1992 were never bad.

Great music that uplifts the spirit requires freedom. Tyranny leads to an altogether different sort of art. Like reality television

Another beautiful piece of writing about opioids. Poetic in places, reminded me of John Cocteau's Opium: Diary of a Cure. Have you read it?
Gee, thanks... very kind of you. Yeah, I have read it, though it's been a few years. The "getting out of the train" analogy you quoted is still hard to beat for evoking the opiate experience.

Though your other quote from De Quincey about opium "composing the agitated and concentrating the distracted" is also a classic... Along those lines, I had the thought a few years ago that opiates are profoundly "dry" substances, in that they tend to literally dry out your bodily secretions-- your tears, your mucus, your saliva, in your bowels, in your genitals (whether seminal/vaginal fluids or menstrual blood) - but also that they metaphorically dry out your emotionality, your sociability, your sexuality, your outward orientation in general.

Whereas alcohol has the opposite tendency, increasing your literal flow of saliva/urine/diarrhea/etc. but also metaphorically increasing the intensity of your desire to talk to others, to express the full intensity your emotions, to have sexual contact with another person, etc.

Gee, thanks... very kind of you. Yeah, I have read it, though it's been a few years. The "getting out of the train" analogy you quoted is still hard to beat for evoking the opiate experience.

Though your other quote from De Quincey about opium "composing the agitated and concentrating the distracted" is also a classic... Along those lines, I had the thought a few years ago that opiates are profoundly "dry" substances, in that they tend to literally dry out your bodily secretions-- your tears, your mucus, your saliva, in your bowels, in your genitals (whether seminal/vaginal fluids or menstrual blood) - but also that they metaphorically dry out your emotionality, your sociability, your sexuality, your outward orientation in general.

Whereas alcohol has the opposite tendency, increasing your literal flow of saliva/urine/diarrhea/etc. but also metaphorically increasing the intensity of your desire to talk to others, to express the full intensity your emotions, to have sexual contact with another person, etc.
Yes to your first set of observations. Although what does drinking a lot of alcohol do? Chronic alcoholics and I should throw into the mix meth users wind up looking like raisins. I've observed in my own self almost an aversion to drinking water during multi-day meth use/abuse. It literally has to be Coca-Cola or Gatorade or I just can't stomach it. I was really worried about one friend who always appeared very dehydrated, gaunt like he was missing five or six pounds. Get a big bag of pretzels the salt and take a mouthful of pretzels and you just drink the water and you will absorb it and the salt is okay. I prefer Gatorade but I'm not sure it's the healthiest thing....

Imo the best laxative for severe opioid-induced constipation is still castor oil. Although Gawd is it HARD to get down without gagging.

Will Plumb your whole system out but should not be used more than once or twice a month

Last edited:
Most everything I have to say I put into this little song back in 2003. The first topical song I ever wrote. Please enjoy.

snip

Last edited:
Overdid psychedelics, but I will never forget the time I slurped mescaline like orange juice, and ate OBEs for breakfast. Stopping time, rewinding time, I was a fucking Peyote Jedi. I loved how it always made me feel like I was in a jungle, even if I was in the city. However one day I want another experience with it, but Shrooms, Acid, or 2c-whatever the fuck will not do the trick

Overdid MDMA, but it helped me a lot to be much better in social situations

Don't like stimulants

Don't see the point in anaesthetics

Cocaine is too fucking lame

So I stick with weed, nicotine and caffeine. At least they've been satisfactory, since I overdo neither