• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Best anti-histamine to counter opiate itch?

Stato

Bluelighter
As the title says, I am wanting to know what bl would recommend as the best anti histamine to potentiate and help relieve the itch, commonly associated with opiates (codeine/morphine, etc)

I have some promethazine lying around, and tend to take between 25 and 50mg to help relieve the itch, but I have access to many others. What would be the safest and best bet to help?

They're all fairly interchangeable, but my favorite is restavit (doxylamine succinate), since it doesn't seem to have as many side effects or as much of a hangover as promethazine.

^ Doxylamine is also very sedating, which I like with my opioids. Adds to the nod. :)

It does have a shorter half-life then promethazine, so the duration of action is shorter which is a good thing. It can make urinary retention and constipation worse, as well as causing a 'pasty' feeling in the mouth just as the other first generation antihistamines do.

I wasn't going to comment because I'm not all that knowledgeable here but you can try Benadryl/DPH, or just try others and see what you like best.

They're all fairly interchangeable, but my favorite is restavit (doxylamine succinate), since it doesn't seem to have as many side effects or as much of a hangover as promethazine.

yeb yeb, restavit is MY favourite too. Pretty sure it was you crankinit that got me on to this killa antihistamine ;D

Doxylamine
Diphenhydramine
Promethazine (but as others have mentioned, it does leave a hangover and has mild antipsychotic-like effects including dry mouth, blurred vision, etc)

^ if you have no tolerance to it (which builds pretty quickly if taking it for insomnia) then just one tablet (25mg) of restavit should be okay. More than that and you might find it hard keeping awake.

Ive been taking Phenergan lately. Not sure what the chemical name is.

Gonna give it a rest for a while though... 2 or 3 of the 25mg tablets and the hangover is just fucked. Getting up the next day is a total bitch.

Phenergan is a first Gen antihistamine. I dont like it either. beacuse it makes you feel groggy as hell the next day. even up to the next night. I made the mistake once drinking some beers after having phenergan the night be4, so it was at least 24hr+ since i took it be4 i started drinking, 3pints later, felt crook as fuck!

Phenergan is an antihistamine?!... far out that could've helped me if I knew that.

mild antipsychotic-like effects

Although a lot of strong anti-histamines have mild dopamine antagonistic activity, those side effects are most likely due to the anti-cholinergic effects that are stronger then the anti-dopamine effects.

While we are (kind of) on the topic, has anyone potentiated opiates with any typical anti-psychotics ? namely Trifluoperazine (has a similar structure to Promethazine I believe). I'm pretty sure I potentiated some hydromorphone with some Trifluoperazine by mistake. I remember feeling almost no itching and hours of being in an opiated stupor drifting in and out of consciousness.

HR Pun: No one go out and try Trifluoperazine without doing some research. It's some seriously fucked up shit. I ended up throwing the small stash I had of it out after I did a big of reading up.

Phernergan is promethazine and can be bought over the counter in up to 25mg form. I love it because it goes well with the codeine and sedates me, and can safely take alot more than the normal dose. Ive taken up to 7 x 25mg along with my usual 400 mg codeine and it gets me nodding real hard, and sort of gets me dreaming while im awake, if that makes sense. Makes for a good night but it does have a long half life meaning it will have you drowsy for a good 12hrs (= tired hangover in the morning)

Be very very careful with doxylamine succinate ive heard it's not at all safe to take much more than the normal dose, can cause seizures, muscle breakdown and death, its potent stuff. Id recommend to leave it alone, stick with promethazine, much safer.

Heres a link warning about doxylamine overdose - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11465247?dopt=Citation

Edit-forgot to add, that with 75mg promethazine (the max therapeutic dose) I dont get any itch whatsoever, so its great for that.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that doesnt mind the itch? If you can be disciplined and only have a little scratch then stop (because it can become distracting) then having that itchy sensation can be kinda pleasurable IMO.

A question about restavit... if taken before the opiate is consumed it will also blunt the high right? Always have at some point after taking your opiate? (depending on what youre doing and when you wanna nod off)

^ I wouldn't say that doxylamine at the right dose "blunts" the high of opiates, but some would disagree with me. Anytime you add another drug to the mix you are tainting a pure opiate experience by adding other feelings in seems to be the view that some people take, and strictly speaking in terms of feeling purely opiated they aren't wrong. The thing is that sometimes you might want to feel more sedated than just opioids will make you feel, or can't afford enough opies to nod fully on just them, or in the case of codeine have a ceiling of effects possible with the opioid that you wish you exceed. If you come across any of these situations then regardless of whether you feel they blunt the euphoria a little they can be useful to add sometimes.

Well only really used restavit to sleep after big nights on stims or whatever. But just ordered some from an online chem so Ill give it a go next time I have some codeine.

Dealing with histamine effects of codeine

Hi all,

So I took 360mg of codeine about 90 min ago and I'm enjoying it with a nice glass of red wine, except I am insanely itchy right now, which is killing the buzz a bit. I've taken 2x 180mg fenofexadine, but it's not taking effect as soon as I would like. My question is: is there anything I can do to get immediate relief from the itching? It's starting to drive me crazy!

Thanks

Antihistamines like restavit apparently dont affect the high of the codeine. Not sure if youll get instant relief from the itchiness though.