• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Benzo withdrawal: Losing my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah F'loki, I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling, but I'm so glad to hear you are now aware of what was really going on! Please try not to be too hard on yourself and keep your head up, and your wits about you. I didn't find mitrazepine very helpful myself - yeah it was somewhat sedating, but it made me gain weight and feel like a slob in the morning (I'd rather not sleep than those two things).

Can you get your hands on any gabapentin or something? I found that that can help a lot with anxiety and malaise associated with opioid withdrawal related issues, even with cravings in some cases. Plus it is a lot safer (or has fewer side effects) than that "antidepressant" you were taking.

Ah F'loki, I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling, but I'm so glad to hear you are now aware of what was really going on! Please try not to be too hard on yourself and keep your head up, and your wits about you. I didn't find mitrazepine very helpful myself - yeah it was somewhat sedating, but it made me gain weight and feel like a slob in the morning (I'd rather not sleep than those two things).

Can you get your hands on any gabapentin or something? I found that that can help a lot with anxiety and malaise associated with opioid withdrawal related issues, even with cravings in some cases. Plus it is a lot safer (or has fewer side effects) than that "antidepressant" you were taking.

Thanks for your support my friend.

I can't get Gabapentin as my problems aren't really with opiates: It's benzos. I couldn't really care less about the opiates. Okay sure i've overdone them big time: 8 weeks straight kind of thing, which lead to moderate withdrawals, which honestly I do not find THAT bad, because they last maybe a few days and i'm over it. It's nothing compared to Benzo hell. NOTHING.

I suggested to the doctor today that why don't we try this: As I taper from diazepam, can I have a short acting z-drug MAXIMUM twice a week. He said this is not a conventional way of tapering, but liked the idea. BUT he wasn't willing to prescribe anything without referring to my outpatient rehab to get their blessing...........Usual bullshit pass the buck mentality, but whatever.
So he printed out a letter and I ran down to the outpatient clinic: They said no they weren't happy with this because of the amount of diazepam I am on already: 21mgs a day. I explained that this is slightly ridiculous because I can handle 100mg doses and 80mg doses mixed with fucking heroin in the not so recent past.....So what is 7mgs of Zopiclone going to do? Fucking bullshit.

Thing is, they say I can have a drink from time to time, even though THIS WORKS ON GABA-A receptors too, but somehow having a restricted prescription for zopiclone twice a week so I can at least sleep twice a week while withdrawing from diazepam that also works on GABA-A is "OMG NO YOU CANNOT DO THAT, IT'S SO DANGEROUS".

Anyway, so fuck it. I have discussed this all with my wife and my family and I have decided to drop out of all the outpatient rehab bullshit and just taper off diazepam myself.

I am just going to rely on the darknet now for additional meds and just do it all myself, until I am off diazepam. That is how fucked up the whole experience of outpatient rehab and doctors has been for me. I feel like it's actually just made me feel worse by pushing me into abstinence (something that is just not in my nature), labelled me an addict (when actually I just have trouble sleeping) and climbing the anti-depressant ladder into oblivion. Sorry but fuck that.

On the plus side I guess now I have a better understanding of how completely dire the medical community are at dealing with benzo withdrawal and mental health problems in general, and more positively I know much more about who I actually am and I know now to stand my ground against people who think they know best for me: I.E All the useless doctors.......................I am officially quitting trying to quit through the 'legitimate' channels: Rehab is a pile of shit and not at all suitable for benzo withdrawals. It's actually -on reflection - made things a million times worse by stereotyping me as an "addict": You tell people they are a label for long enough they start to believe it.

Funnily enough my wife and family completely support this and everyone feels somewhat relieved I am getting out of the "rehab system": I think because they have seen how actually it has hampered my recovery rather than helped. Glad I had the complete meltdown today and decided to act on it and have ditched the anti-depressants and the entire, defunct bullshit system....

If you want to get something done, do it yourself.

F'loki

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about this rather unfortunate situation you find yourself in. The incompetence of the medical community when it comes to substance use always leaves me flabbergasted. That is pretty ridiculous they'll let you drink and not take a prescription medication prescribed for a legitimate concern by your doctor, as prescribed.

It's just silly... But then again, although it's kind of sad, welcome to the world of the recovery industry! It doesn't exactly represent the cutting edge when it comes to modern medicine or science, alas. Things are getting better, but the status quo is still pretty darn reactionary and narrow minded.

Oh don't be sorry. Really this has been a good thing; For me, my wife and my family. They've seen first hand the incompetence and are now 100% backing me doing this solo. I'll carry on with the one to one counselling because that is about the only useful thing that has come out of all this. And so i'll continue to get my diazepam on prescription. I'm just going to do the bear minimum to not cut ties with the outpatient centre completely, so I can continue to get the very generous flat rate NHS prescription charges for diazepam...I'll buy the occasional z-drug and opiates as I see fit from the 'blackmarket'. They don't need to know about it. I'll play them like a harp-string lol And they can take their anti-depressants and shove them.....some place where a lack of sunlight is the daily norm. :)

I actually feel a big weight off my shoulders. Now why would I feel like that? Because something was wrong - very wrong.

Glad to be out of the horrible 'recovery industry'. If things are getting better, then holy crap, I can't believe how worse they must've been before.!

F'loki

Thanks for your support my friend.

I can't get Gabapentin as my problems aren't really with opiates: It's benzos. I couldn't really care less about the opiates. Okay sure i've overdone them big time: 8 weeks straight kind of thing, which lead to moderate withdrawals, which honestly I do not find THAT bad, because they last maybe a few days and i'm over it. It's nothing compared to Benzo hell. NOTHING.

I suggested to the doctor today that why don't we try this: As I taper from diazepam, can I have a short acting z-drug MAXIMUM twice a week. He said this is not a conventional way of tapering, but liked the idea. BUT he wasn't willing to prescribe anything without referring to my outpatient rehab to get their blessing...........Usual bullshit pass the buck mentality, but whatever.
So he printed out a letter and I ran down to the outpatient clinic: They said no they weren't happy with this because of the amount of diazepam I am on already: 21mgs a day. I explained that this is slightly ridiculous because I can handle 100mg doses and 80mg doses mixed with fucking heroin in the not so recent past.....So what is 7mgs of Zopiclone going to do? Fucking bullshit.

Thing is, they say I can have a drink from time to time, even though THIS WORKS ON GABA-A receptors too, but somehow having a restricted prescription for zopiclone twice a week so I can at least sleep twice a week while withdrawing from diazepam that also works on GABA-A is "OMG NO YOU CANNOT DO THAT, IT'S SO DANGEROUS".

Anyway, so fuck it. I have discussed this all with my wife and my family and I have decided to drop out of all the outpatient rehab bullshit and just taper off diazepam myself.

I am just going to rely on the darknet now for additional meds and just do it all myself, until I am off diazepam. That is how fucked up the whole experience of outpatient rehab and doctors has been for me. I feel like it's actually just made me feel worse by pushing me into abstinence (something that is just not in my nature), labelled me an addict (when actually I just have trouble sleeping) and climbing the anti-depressant ladder into oblivion. Sorry but fuck that.

On the plus side I guess now I have a better understanding of how completely dire the medical community are at dealing with benzo withdrawal and mental health problems in general, and more positively I know much more about who I actually am and I know now to stand my ground against people who think they know best for me: I.E All the useless doctors.......................I am officially quitting trying to quit through the 'legitimate' channels: Rehab is a pile of shit and not at all suitable for benzo withdrawals. It's actually -on reflection - made things a million times worse by stereotyping me as an "addict": You tell people they are a label for long enough they start to believe it.

Funnily enough my wife and family completely support this and everyone feels somewhat relieved I am getting out of the "rehab system": I think because they have seen how actually it has hampered my recovery rather than helped. Glad I had the complete meltdown today and decided to act on it and have ditched the anti-depressants and the entire, defunct bullshit system....

If you want to get something done, do it yourself.

F'loki

Outpatient rehabs have no business giving pharmacological advice. Doctor just wanted to cover his ass. I don't blame you for just doing it your self as long as you can guarantee sufficient supply. Is there anyway to dump the rehab but keep the doctor? I only say that because he has been compassionate in the past. No reason to burn a bridge if you don't have too. Ask him about gabapentin most docs are willing to give it and it'll turn the volume down on the withdrawal. If sleep I'd the concern 25mg of seroquel is my go to drug.

my doc is weaning me off ativan, so i bought same valium from an online pharmacy in india, now you're scaring me

That's awesome Dave. Congrats. Don't let a few bad actors get you down.

Not that good. Relapsed hard on benzo. Blacked out for significant amount of time. Got arrested. Tried to kill myself. Idiocy on my part all around. Oh yeah and apperantly whatever white powder I was banging did a number on my kidneys. I thought I was in benzo withdrawal so I went to the hospital and found out i was withdrawing but also dying of kidney failure. Can't even make that shit up.....

Damn, cj. I hope you'll be able to make a good recovery from the kidney stuff. That shit is no joke. I'm sorry to hear about the rough patch, but am glad you're back among the living.

Kidney failure? What were you shooting up, cocaine or fentanyl or something else?

All the above. I think the substituted cathinone triggered a manic state. I blacked on benzos at some point then started shooting God knows what. It's been rough man. I wake up everyday feeling like someone kicked me in the balls. I don't know.

My family wants me too do rehab but I'm at 160mg of methadone and struggling to taper. I am already sick from benzo withdrawal and just being sick. I'm stressed. I don't like myself anymore and I don't blame people for being over it. I'm over it. I just want to fix this mess but it's incredibly hard to know what I should do. Like I feel rehab is a big gamble. I'm not ready for the kick I've saved myself. I'm broke anyway so it's not like I'm going to a good place. With all the death around most rehabs know they don't have to give away anything right now people's family are willing to pay. The local university where I was in the hospital wants 7 grand upfront with my insurance. That's only 30 days. I don't know if it's just my state or if it's like this everywhere but I am getting kicked from every side right now.

All the above. I think the substituted cathinone triggered a manic state. I blacked on benzos at some point then started shooting God knows what. It's been rough man. I wake up everyday feeling like someone kicked me in the balls. I don't know.

My family wants me too do rehab but I'm at 160mg of methadone and struggling to taper. I am already sick from benzo withdrawal and just being sick. I'm stressed. I don't like myself anymore and I don't blame people for being over it. I'm over it. I just want to fix this mess but it's incredibly hard to know what I should do. Like I feel rehab is a big gamble. I'm not ready for the kick I've saved myself. I'm broke anyway so it's not like I'm going to a good place. With all the death around most rehabs know they don't have to give away anything right now people's family are willing to pay. The local university where I was in the hospital wants 7 grand upfront with my insurance. That's only 30 days. I don't know if it's just my state or if it's like this everywhere but I am getting kicked from every side right now.

Do you think you'll be able to quit without rehab, or does it seem increasingly likely you'll need to go in?

Do you think you'll be able to quit without rehab, or does it seem increasingly likely you'll need to go in?

I've been clean except for methadone for the last week. It's highly likely I'm not gonna have much say in the matter though. Terrified doesn't even begin to say it either. I'm paranoid anyway I keep having this feeling someone is watching me. Really freaking me out tbh I keep thinking someone poisoned or is going to poison me. Just wacky shit like that. I know I'm just being paranoid but it's really unsettling me. Like ive totally lost the plot to the story and it's harder and harder to fake.

I've been clean except for methadone for the last week. It's highly likely I'm not gonna have much say in the matter though. Terrified doesn't even begin to say it either. I'm paranoid anyway I keep having this feeling someone is watching me. Really freaking me out tbh I keep thinking someone poisoned or is going to poison me. Just wacky shit like that. I know I'm just being paranoid but it's really unsettling me. Like ive totally lost the plot to the story and it's harder and harder to fake.

That's probably paranoid thinking due to stimulant use. It can take a while to shake it. I never suffered from that kind of thinking myself (I was incredibly ballsy while on meth), but I've seen it in many other people.

Congrats on sticking to your methadone only for the last week :)

That's probably paranoid thinking due to stimulant use. It can take a while to shake it. I never suffered from that kind of thinking myself (I was incredibly ballsy while on meth), but I've seen it in many other people.

Congrats on sticking to your methadone only for the last week :)

Thanks. I'm glad I know it's a delusion but it's still unsettling.

I always knew I'm a nobody and no one gives a fuck about me. Very hard for me to forget that. :|

There must be someone - family, partner who cares about you. Lots of people in here like and respect you pretty much. Still, I am sorry you feel that way.

I can relate to that, but family was all I had. And there are not fully there for me, except maybe for my kids. I hope you are wrong about your perception. I really am.

Status
Not open for further replies.