• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo with the strongest muscle relaxing properties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatass

Bluelighter
Who can tell me what the benzo with the strongest muscle relaxing properties is (preferably with referances to sources).

Since meprobamate has been taken off the market here i really miss that feeling (carisprodol not being on the market either)

I was thinking maybe valium?

I am on diazepam for muscle spasms etc, that is the usual benzo that is used as a muscle relaxant here.

Diazepam is great for spasms, although there are other options. I much prefer low-dose carisoprodol to a benzodiazepine for a muscle relaxer.

Yeah, has to be Valium. Anybody here ever heard of being scripted clonazepam or LORAZEPAM!

Yes, that is one benzo i've taken which did seem on par with diazepam in the muscle relaxant area. Then again if somebody really needed it for that specific purpose only they could truly tell the differnce in a blind study?

Also seem to remember a benzo called tetrazepam, which seems quite rare, at least in the western world, to have the muscle relaxing effects we're on about.

tetrazepam is mad weak as a benzo allthough it does have muscle relaxing properties

Tetrazepam is a very weak benzo on a mg per mg basis but it does have some strong muscle relaxant properties. However, I'd say that something like nitrazepam would probably have the strongest muscle relaxant properties. There are a lot of good benzos for this purpose including diazepam, clonazepam, flunitrazepam, lormetazepam, flurazepam, temazepam, and even oxazepam, but nitrazepam takes the cake IME.

Diazepam....and although some eould disagree temazepam is pretty nice. It does suck those two drugs are no longer around btw.

They are in the uk, I get diazepam for muscle spasms, I am only on a low dose so it doesn't stop them completely but it helps a lot.

Cyclobenzaprine although not a benzos possess high muscle relaxant properties, more so than valium

^^yeah i read about that... vbut like carisprodol and meprobamate its not marketed here

^^ What are the legs like on nitrazepam in comparison to diazepam?

Both are long-acting benzos, but diazepam has a longer half life due to a lingering active metabolite called nordazepam. However, next day grogginess seems to be more intense with nitrazepam use. Nitrazepam is the more powerful drug, although they are equipotent on a weight basis (10 mg nitrazepam = 10 mg diazepam).

chlorzoxazone, gabapentin, metaxalone, and orphenadrine are all muscle relaxants of a non-benzo nature of which are designed to do that on its own. i'm not sure if you're seeking true muscle relaxation or a benzo high along with it though.

i wouldn't suggest using nitrazepam. it's a hypnotic and will knock your lights out if you take it during the day, and the relaxant properties are similar to those of diazepam.

pregabalin has shown some promising results, but i don't think its worth it to be honest.

how about baclofen? where od you live if you dont mind me asking?

i just think its better to use a non-addictive muscle relaxant as tolerance wont build up as quickly and you wont feel encouraged to eat a load of them. lack of psychological effects i find is more useful for a day to day life as benzos can make your mind cloudy and fuzzy.

^ Nitrazepam has noticeably stronger effects than diazepam, that includes muscle relaxant effects.

As far as non-benzo muscle relaxants, I think baclofen, cyclobenzaprine and carisoprodol are all excellent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6517646

ah yes, my bad, havent read the studies on the muscle relaxation properties of benzos. but then again nitraz is a hypnotic and really can't be used during the day unless you enjoy being comatosed or want to counter the effects using amphetamines/speed/meth/crack which is stupid as hell lol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6517646

ah yes, my bad, havent read the studies on the muscle relaxation properties of benzos. but then again nitraz is a hypnotic and really can't be used during the day unless you enjoy being comatosed or want to counter the effects using amphetamines/speed/meth/crack which is stupid as hell lol.

LoL! That was the same study that I read a while back and was actually going to quote it in my previous post to prove my point. But I thought nah, I'm not going to bring up a study for a every minor little thing that's being discussed on benzos. It's funny how you linked to it though.

i'm more into stimulants and the study on them so i don't know much about the benzodiazepene class of drugs personally. i just know they are good to combat heavy doses of amps and the anxiety linked to it, i never really understood they were muscle relaxants until just recently.

nitrazepam is still a powerful hypnotic. what are the implications of long term benzo use for muscle relaxation? does tolerance build to the relaxant properties too? if so once again i advice against using them..

Tolerance to benzodiazepines is across the board - you become tolerant to just about every effect benzos produce, muscle relaxant properties included. However, the rate of tolerance to the sedative, muscle relaxant, and anticonvulsant properties of benzos develop at a faster rate than does tolerance to the anxiolytic effects.

Benzos which have a higher activity at the alpha 1 subunit of the GABA(A) receptors are the hypnotics. Modulation of the alpha 1 subunit is responsible for sedation, motor-impairment, bad balance (ataxia), amnesia, and reinforcing behavior. So this would mean that tolerance occurs at a faster rate with hypnotics and psychological dependence is more likely to occur with hypnotics also.

Benzos like clonazepam, lorazepam, bromazepam, diazepam and alprazolam have higher activity at the alpha 2 subunit. This one is responsible for disinhibition and anxiolysis. These benzos are active at the alpha 1 subunit too, but to a lesser degree than benzos like nitrazepam, temazepam, triazolam, or flunitrazepam.

I didn't read this entire thread, pretty much just the question.
When I hurt my neck so badly I couldn't move my head at all, I was prescribed Valium & Hydrocodone. I specifically remember my doctor at the time saying valium is the only benzo with actual muscle relaxing properties. I currently take xanax, and find it relaxes me entirely, certainly more than Valium. I guess I should say, TO ME, it FEELS like it is more relaxing. I'm sure the M.D. was correct about the Valium...he probably knows a bit more than I do about these things, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.