• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: notsmokeymcpot42088 | RUC4

Benzo question for switching from Valium 10mg a day to Xanax.

marsnd

Bluelighter
Joined
Dec 19, 2011
Messages
71
Location
wisconsin
Will the transition be really rough? I know that Diazepam ( generic Valium) has a stronger half life, and effects the brain with different properties than the fast acting benzo xanax. I've been on both at different times in my life. I've never made this transition though. I was on clonopin, and than put on valium, now transitioning to xanax here in a couple days. Just trying to see if anyone has done this before themselves, and how their experience was. I appreciate the feedback.
 
You will be fine Valium is a cousin drug to Klonopin it should be a smooth transition as long as your getting 10's
Will the transition be really rough? I know that Diazepam ( generic Valium) has a stronger half life, and effects the brain with different properties than the fast acting benzo xanax. I've been on both at different times in my life. I've never made this transition though. I was on clonopin, and than put on valium, now transitioning to xanax here in a couple days. Just trying to see if anyone has done this before themselves, and how their experience was. I appreciate the feedback
 
i've never gone from one of those meds to the other, but i've used both. and i think you'll be ok. it should be smooth.
 
You will be fine Valium is a cousin drug to Klonopin it should be a smooth transition as long as your getting 10's
The clonopin to valium was good, no problems. I'm a little worried about the valium to xanax that I'm about to start. Different type benzos, way less half life with the alprazolam. Appreciate your feedback
 
Ive used both and you should be fine imo. Just be aware that xanax doesent last nearly as long as valium
100% right about that. I've been prescribed xanax and was on it a long time. I was switched to clonopin 6 years ago, and that was my everyday med. I'm switching from 10mg of valium, to 3 mg xanax. I just started a new position at work, and hope I'm not withdrawing in between the transitions
 
I just want to feel normal. The half life is really strong with valium. It's one extreme to the other, as far as benzos go. If I can get away with less, I most diffently will. Maybe I'm overthinking this? I've read about difficult transitions, and everyone's experience is their own. I just hope I'm not sick. I just took a promotion at work, and really don't want to be worried about withdrawals while I take on this new responsibility
From 10mg Valium to 3mg Xanax and you’ll expect withdrawal? Brother you’ll be high as a kite
From 10mg Valium to 3mg Xanax and you’ll expect withdrawal? Brother you’ll be high as a kite
 
This is strange @marsnd

You are implying that your current dose of Diazepam (Valium) is 10mg? Is that 10mg per day?

The conversion ratio is thus:

10mg Diazepam = 0.5mg Alprazolam

If you're only taking 10mg Diazepam a day, 3mg Alprazolam is approximately 6x higher than that dosage. There can be a little bit of variability with Diazepam based upon a person's genetics. This isn't an issue with the other Benzodiazepines you listed. At any rate, this is a significantly higher dosage. If you just want to feel normal, taking a dose this size is likely to make you sedated.

Yes, Diazepam tends to last a bit longer. The transition between these Benzodiazepines provided the dose is correct should never be overly stressful or painful.
 
Top