• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo Addiction w/ Amphetamine Use

tampababe

Greenlighter
Hi folks,

I have been on benzodiazepines for about the past year and a half (have gone from 3 xanax bars to 4 mg of klonopin daily) I used to use it for my anxiety, but now I just take enough to not have withdrawals and panic attacks and all the other side effects from, well, the withdrawals.

I have done MDMA and Adderall and Vyvanse while also taking my prescription without any issues and giving no thought to mixing uppers and downers because I really do have to take my medication. About a month ago I tried methamphetamine for the first time, and it was about time for me to take my klonopin, and my friend asked what I was doing. I told him, and he said, "That's extremely dangerous and you could die." I replied, "I have to take it though regardless. I can't risk skipping a dosage." I was fine, of course, but it freaked me out because he further explained that mixing those two drugs can cause a lot of strain on your body.

So, Bluelight, I come to you with the question of being a benzo addict: is he correct; should I avoid amphetamines altogether? Have I been playing Russian Roulette with my body this whole time? Or is it safe for me to still do amphetamines because my body is dependent on benzos?

I hope this made sense. Thank you for your input. :D

Hi Tampa,

It is perfectly safe to take Klonopin after or before stimulant use. Now I don't recommend Meth, it's very neurotoxic. Not judging because I used to do it. A lot of Drs. prescribe a Benzo to go along with Adderal, Vyvanse, etc, to help people sleep, and eat.

So Yes!! You made perfect sense, I am also a Benzo addict, I totally understand your first paragraph.

1 last thing...if someone is rushed to the ER for a amphetamine OD... First thing they'll give that person is a Benzo. Diazapam, Lorazapam, etc.

it's usually pretty safe to take benzos with amphetamines. it's reallycommon for people to take xanax/klonopin/etc to help with amphetamine comedowns. like wouldn't say go do some more meth then take a kpin, because meth is generally pretty bad for you in a lot of ways. but like. just saying. if you do take meth, a benzo can really help with the comedown.

Your friend was likely repeating the urban legend that combinging stimulants and depressants somehow "strains" the heart, as if the heart was a tug-o-war rope being pulled in two directions at once. This is simply not the case, it's just a myth. There are risks with combining amphetamines and benzos (poly-drug dependence and escalating doseages across binges as you try to "balance" the effects being the primary ones), but it isn't, in itself, any more dangerous than taking either by itself.

However if you have anxiety severe enough to warrant daily benzo use, I'd highly recommend avoiding amphetamines, as there is a strong chance it will cause your anxiety to escalate.

Thanks for the great responses! I don't plan on doing meth again, but it's good to know that for future reference for other amphetamine usage that I'm in the clear to mix my benzos with it.

You made several good points, Crankinit. Oddly enough, stimulants seem to "even" me out. Isn't it strange and also awesome how all of our bodies react to things differently?