• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Beginning Opiate Detox

outside_upside

Greenlighter
Hello All!
So I’m really new and a little scared to ask questions. I’ve been on about 60 to 80 mg of Oxy IR daily for about 4 years now - ever since chemo. I had surgery recently and wanted to taper off slowly, but someone helped themselves to my meds and here we are. I would have rapid tapered, but I wasn’t aware I was being stolen from and I’m in pain management so no one will touch me. I have a pain management appointment in 10 days, but I’ve lost my insurance and I can’t count on them bridging me or being able to pay the cash price since I haven’t been working. And I definitely can’t tell them my meds got stolen and risk losing the clinic since I do get injections and pain treatments in addition to meds. I currently have 4 tabs of 5 mg Percocet and 7 tabs of 5 mg Norco if my surgical pain is bad, but I feel like if I made it through chemo, I can do this. I bought/have: Kava Kava for the anxiety, Promethazine 25 mg, Imodium, multi vitamins and B vitamins. I also have some suuuuper old and expired Lunesta and Flexeril from chemo that might still work to an extent. I was hoping for some guidance on the best ways to detox, a possible timeline. I’d even try Kratom at this point. I know pain is always going to be a part of my life and it will never go away, but I’d like to get to only using it when needed when my body just can’t handle itself. I tried every legitimate outlet for help, and while they’re all so quick to give me meds, no one seems to want to help me detox from them or help with the withdrawal. Thank you for any and all information and help. My chronic pain is sort of my dirty little secret since I hate people knowing how sick I really am, and I just don’t know where else to go for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what kind of scumbag steals from a cancer survivor?

Anyway stretch the opiates you have as far as possible. What's a normal dose that keeps you out of withdrawal? I can't really make an educated recommendation without knowing your normal dose.

The lunesta and Flexeril are fine. Meds are really stable those experation dates don't mean shit. Your looking at 5-7 days of acute withdrawal with day 3-4 being the worst. If we can stretch those Percs and Norcos this will be far more pleasant. I've never had chemo but I can tell you opiate withdrawal is a unique form of hell so don't underestimate it.

The loperamide can help. Somewhere between 5-10mgs will stop the shits and help the physical withdrawal a little. Use it after you run out of the other opiates. How many Flexeril and lunesta do you have?

Kratom would be a great idea I would pursue that. Let me know your normal dosage and I'll make you a taper plan

Hello All!
So I’m really new and a little scared to ask questions. I’ve been on about 60 to 80 mg of Oxy IR daily for about 4 years now - ever since chemo. I had surgery recently and wanted to taper off slowly, but someone helped themselves to my meds and here we are. I would have rapid tapered, but I wasn’t aware I was being stolen from and I’m in pain management so no one will touch me. I have a pain management appointment in 10 days, but I’ve lost my insurance and I can’t count on them bridging me or being able to pay the cash price since I haven’t been working. And I definitely can’t tell them my meds got stolen and risk losing the clinic since I do get injections and pain treatments in addition to meds. I currently have 4 tabs of 5 mg Percocet and 7 tabs of 5 mg Norco if my surgical pain is bad, but I feel like if I made it through chemo, I can do this. I bought/have: Kava Kava for the anxiety, Promethazine 25 mg, Imodium, multi vitamins and B vitamins. I also have some suuuuper old and expired Lunesta and Flexeril from chemo that might still work to an extent. I was hoping for some guidance on the best ways to detox, a possible timeline. I’d even try Kratom at this point. I know pain is always going to be a part of my life and it will never go away, but I’d like to get to only using it when needed when my body just can’t handle itself. I tried every legitimate outlet for help, and while they’re all so quick to give me meds, no one seems to want to help me detox from them or help with the withdrawal. Thank you for any and all information and help. My chronic pain is sort of my dirty little secret since I hate people knowing how sick I really am, and I just don’t know where else to go for help.
Something really important to keep in mind (you said you're in pain management) is if you are prescribed oxy and show up and they drug test you they will positively kick you out for not having it in your system. MAKE SURE you save at least one of the percocet until ideally around 2 hours before your appointment. (Percocet and oxy show up the same on a standard 12 panel UA test, norco does NOT. It's a separate category)

edit for clarity: norco does still show up on the 12 panel drug test, just in a spot different from that of the oxy/percocet
Norco I believe is MOR
oxy/percocet is OPI
(or the other way around. I don't really remember at the moment which is which)

Also... not to scare you but I've had 4 months chemo and I've went cold Turkey off 90mg daily oxy. Though it was only about 4-5 days The oxy was definitely more intense. That being said you've got enough pills, if spread out properly, to be less than the chemo, but it's still going to suck. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll help out with whatever I can. Good luck.

Good catch on the pain management situation wizard.

Hey outside!

Welcome to BL! Who the hell stole your pain meds?! How low can a person be. Sorry that happened.

As you said, here we are. CJ is magic w detox plans. He'll help get you straightened out.

Wizard made a very valid point - you must have opiates in your system. They'll assume you're diverting (selling) your meds if not in your system. A big no no.

We're here for you outside. Post as much as you need to. ❤️

I don’t get drug tested every time I go to pain management, and I actually, luckily, had one recently. We do it annually or bi annually. I’m planning on calling them on Monday and move my appointment up. Since I’m on percocet, I can ask for plain oxy without too much trouble since I’m tapering and it cheaper. I lost my insurance and have to pay. As for who steals from a cancer patient? Her spouse does apparently ☹️

As for who steals from a cancer patient? Her spouse does apparently ☹

Wow, with friends like that, who needs enemies? I just wanted to mention that in my state, and I’m assuming most others, it’s illegal for ANYONE to take your meds (with permission or without). I might be inclined to file a police report on my spouse...not that you would/should - just throwing that out as an option if it’s an ongoing issue.

Best of luck.

- VE

Buy a floor safe for the future. You can get a decent one for under 100 dollars. Most people won't break a safe unless they are really bad off.

Buy a floor safe for the future. You can get a decent one for under 100 dollars. Most people won't break a safe unless they are really bad off.

I never thought I’d have to. In the 5-6 years I’ve been on them it’s never come up. I was so shocked. Especially since I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I need them more than ever. I’m so worried about the diarrhea and vomiting making me rip stitches.

Been there outside. My spouse stole my meds when I had a broken leg. I chased him, cast and all, sweat beading on.my upper lip from the pain, I grabbed his pants pocket and threw him to the ground - that's how pissed I was.

I can understand your concern about tearing tour sutures. I'm sure the taper plan will help, as well as loperamide and Mucinex severe cough formula works well. Good luck outside.

I’m so worried about the diarrhea and vomiting making me rip stitches.
The time that I had withdrawals from only 90mg oxy daily use I didn't actually throw up once. (I felt like I was going to but never did) so you might be ok as far as that goes. (I know everyone is different but I think with you still having those few pills you should be alright on the vomit part... the diarrhea is a whole other story though :-/

Been there outside. My spouse stole my meds when I had a broken leg. I chased him, cast and all, sweat beading on.my upper lip from the pain, I grabbed his pants pocket and threw him to the ground - that's how pissed I was.

I can understand your concern about tearing tour sutures. I'm sure the taper plan will help, as well as loperamide and Mucinex severe cough formula works well. Good luck outside.

I DID actually punch them in the face when I found out. It was like a knee jerk reaction. I’m going to call my pain management Monday and see if I can move my appointment up. Since we were tapering down, they’ll hopefully be understanding of me wanting a lower dose. I just lost my insurance for the month and I have a slim hope they’ll bridge me for this month since I just had surgery. This whole experience has been an utter nightmare. I’m literally looking up how I can remove spitting sutures myself because I can’t afford to go to my oncology follow up. They told me it was $500 and I almost threw up. I think pain management is $150 out of pocket and well, my spouse better get ready to sell some blood.

I want to thank you all for the support and kind words, by the way. No one seems to understand it’s harder than just quitting cold turkey like cigarettes.

I hope there is some kind of help you can find given your circumstances. And lots of great support. Btw, he deserved getting punched for that.

Hang in there outside. We're here for you.

I hope there is some kind of help you can find given your circumstances. And lots of great support. Btw, he deserved getting punched for that.

Hang in there outside. We're here for you.

It’s kinda funny. I went to see my primary and when they saw my dosages they referred me to a subuxone/methadone clinic and wouldn’t help. So I left and called and was basically told they don’t help pain management patients trying to stop meds and that it’s really just for “addicts”. I was so upset. I still have about 6 Norco left but psychologically after being treated like a doormat by everyone, spouse included since they stole, I’ve been having anxiety. I tried some Kava Kava pills and they seemed to help ok. I was in mild withdrawal this morning but mostly just a little upset stomach and some major RLS that might just be my CIPD flaring up. You guys have no idea how alone I’d feel without you. I’ve had more support from total strangers. I had to tell my parents what happened because I hide how much pain I’m in all the time and my mom basically didn’t believe me and just assumed I’m an addict ☹️

You're not an addict. I'm a chronic pain patient. I have chronic cluster headaches. I know the feeling of being looked at like a criminal when you pick up your Rx's. I'm not on any pain meds (anymore) really - just Neurontin, Lyrica, Ibuprofen. Oh, and I'm prescribed goddamn vistoral (sp?) For anxiety.

Unlike you, precious outside, I am an addict. I became one on pain management. It's funny, before Oxy's, you could barely get me to take Motrin. And I end up an IV heroin addict. Unbelievable.

I'm on Subutex now. I was slipping up alot after being clean for 1.5yrs. So, I finally said enough is enough, and went to a wacko sub Dr that barely speaks English and yawns in your face when you talk to her lol.

Here's some info that might interest you. I went to a chronic pain rehab called Valley Forge Medical in Eagleville, Pa. Outside, I'm telling you, it was the best thing that happened to me.

They either get you off pain meds or get your doses to more manageable amounts. You excercise, have physical therapy, group, and lots of other cool stuff. It's really hard to do this shit alone outside.

It's really great to be around others that understand the nuances of chronic pain. Without words. I'm tearing up thinking about my friends from VF. Look it up at least. See what you think.

You are beautiful outside. You are worth it outside. Try to find a good support group. I'm sorry your parents don't believe you. I believe you. We believe you. ❤

You're not an addict. I'm a chronic pain patient. I have chronic cluster headaches. I know the feeling of being looked at like a criminal when you pick up your Rx's. I'm not on any pain meds (anymore) really - just Neurontin, Lyrica, Ibuprofen. Oh, and I'm prescribed goddamn vistoral (sp?) For anxiety.

Unlike you, precious outside, I am an addict. I became one on pain management. It's funny, before Oxy's, you could barely get me to take Motrin. And I end up an IV heroin addict. Unbelievable.

I'm on Subutex now. I was slipping up alot after being clean for 1.5yrs. So, I finally said enough is enough, and went to a wacko sub Dr that barely speaks English and yawns in your face when you talk to her lol.

Here's some info that might interest you. I went to a chronic pain rehab called Valley Forge Medical in Eagleville, Pa. Outside, I'm telling you, it was the best thing that happened to me.

They either get you off pain meds or get your doses to more manageable amounts. You excercise, have physical therapy, group, and lots of other cool stuff. It's really hard to do this shit alone outside.

It's really great to be around others that understand the nuances of chronic pain. Without words. I'm tearing up thinking about my friends from VF. Look it up at least. See what you think.

You are beautiful outside. You are worth it outside. Try to find a good support group. I'm sorry your parents don't believe you. I believe you. We believe you. ❤

I’m literally just sitting here crying. I’m youngish and female and petite so no one ever took my pain seriously until it became so debilitating I couldn’t sit anymore. I hide behind a pretty face and a bright smile and no one notices that it takes me longer to get up and go about their day. I’ve had more understanding from you, complete strangers, than I’ve had from the people around me. I never truly realized how previous health and vitality was until it was gone. You have no idea what your words have meant to me just now ♥️

Oh, but I do. We are the same. I don't look sick. But I have blinding, crippling headaches that took my life away.

Isn't it odd that if you are pretty and thin you can't possibly be ill or in pain. Very f'd up. Or do your Drs keep saying your pain is from being stressed out?

I am textbook cluster headache. Except I'm chronic instead of episodic like the majority that has Ch's. Only 1-4% of the entire world has these headaches. Some Drs have never met anyone w cluster headaches until me. Theres no known cause or cure.

Outside, I understand feeling isolated, and not taken seriously. Hey, you're pretty, you can't be in pain or sick. But, yes, you can.

I'm sorry you're going through this. You don't deserve this. I'm sending you a huge virtual hug from Pennsylvania. Much love to you outside.

Hi Outside, Welcome here to our Tribe :)
This is where we are all the same on the inside , and willing to listen and pass on Experience and Hope to each other !!
I am a cancer survivor as well. Ten years ago stage 3 head and neck carotid artery, 8 weeks of high Radiation and Chemo Yuck!!!
so cancer free ( very grateful)
but ' The Price of admission " side effects, the gift that just keeps giving is No joke and will never get better, only worse :(

You have this!!
Not sure where you are going??
getting off them or Making it through withdrawals till refill and a more protected Rx

Imodium works wonders for me,
a slow tapper is more humane, if that works for you
I have never been on H or even Oxy for a few years now ( NORCO 10/325), so not looking to start the Sub thing.
i have watched too many people spend years on that ride and then need rehab, and a battle from hell to get off???
Looks like BS to me that MAT is a pleasant road to go??
again never been on it, I may need to? never been off the Norco for last three years , lowest been is 1 a Day???

I found that as a cancer patient my pain meds where fine, and helped with my recovery and Tx.
We only heal when not in pain!!

So take it slow and easy!
the whole world seems to be going Bat Shit crazy
and I do not find many people around who are really very happy, and or healthy at the moment.

Cancer Suck, Its no Joke
Physically and Mentally Extremely Taxing on the mind and Body.
Take it slow and be good to your self!!

I actually just got a call confirming an appointment with my primary care doctor at the low income clinic I go to since I’m on Medicaid. Someone else saw me the day they referred me to the suboxone clinic and said only my primary could write a script.

I’m hoping I can see her and she’ll understand both my lack of insurance and income since I’m the money maker in my marriage.

I absolutely agree that there is a stigma attached to being “pretty and thin”. They don’t see that chemo destroyed my joints and bones. Or the fatigue I still have or the pain of having a gynecologic cancer and being half in menopause with severe endometriosis on most of my abdomen and organs. They can’t imagine why I’m not getting better after all these treatments and pills.

I can’t imagine what cluster headaches must feel like or the agony of it all. I won’t lie, I’ve laid here thinking of less than legal ways to buy off a dealer but I just can’t. I literally don’t know anyone like that. So many hugs to you from across the country ♥️