• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australian Drug Discussions Suggestions Thread V.2014

Like I said, it's always been ''come for the HR, stay for the community.'' Most people don't just wake up one day and decide they want to provide HR advice to other drug users on the internet, they come here because they have a question, stick around because they see how generally awesome this place is (or was), and then in turn as they read the forum, learn more about HR and are able to pass that knowledge down both to people who come here themselves asking questions and people irl. But it doesn't work if there isn't some motivating factor to convince them to stay beyond their initial inquiry being answered, and for a long time that was the community and the social aspect (I've met a fair few friends, both IRL and online, here).

Like I said, it's always been ''come for the HR, stay for the community.'' Most people don't just wake up one day and decide they want to provide HR advice to other drug users on the internet, they come here because they have a question, stick around because they see how generally awesome this place is (or was), and then in turn as they read the forum, learn more about HR and are able to pass that knowledge down both to people who come here themselves asking questions and people irl. But it doesn't work if there isn't some motivating factor to convince them to stay beyond their initial inquiry being answered, and for a long time that was the community and the social aspect (I've met a fair few friends, both IRL and online, here).

qft

So it don't get lost, presumably.

I have a habit of overlooking stickies sometimes, but I guess if the social thread is gets buried under more active threads, the social thread (of increasing traffic a bit in AusDD) may have served its purpose or become redundant?

This will encourage people to post frequently, bumping it to page 1 whenever people get inactive.
If it's a sticky, it will always be there so there won't be the fight to keep it relevant.

Food for thought ;)

I always disliked stickys.

Mainly because I've seen the majority, and it hasent changed in quite a while. So I stopped even noticing them (bar a few).

I suppose if we sticky'd it, maybe I'd look in the sticky threads more.

The problem with the stickies is that their a poor mechanism for displaying information and more importantly updating it.

That's why a wiki would be really powerful especially for trusted users/bluelighters. We could have an authorisation since based on a rep/post count. I'm not suggesting up votes but we need something different in order provide succinct, accessible and current drug minimisation data.

If we can all agree that we have a problem, and what it is then we can start focusing on a solution.

This will encourage people to post frequently, bumping it to page 1 whenever people get inactive.
If it's a sticky, it will always be there so there won't be the fight to keep it relevant.

Food for thought ;)

Yeah, I'm still really stuck on the idea after reading that.

I'm happy for it heading to the stickies though.

Geuss we work out what method would work best...... somehow? Poll?

I know I am late to the party on this one but I don't like the idea of stickying the social thread at all.

I think it has the drawback that Abject has already pointed out, I also feel that sticky threads are for important information. While I am more than happy to have a social thread in AusDD, I would not consider the posts within it to be important information, so for these two reasons I would oppose that particular thread being a sticky thread.

Chugs, I agree with you that sticky threads do not stand out to a lot of people in the way they are intended, this is a problem that I am not really sure how to get around. I don't get what you mean about them being a poor mechanism for updating information though. Any sticky thread that has information that needs updating is generally a thread open to post in like any other, so if the information in sticky threads is being updated in the exact same way as every other thread, I don't see how that is ineffective. Could you possibly elaborate on this comment?

We have a wiki forum already, it is just outside of Australian Drug Discussion and is a separate forum on Bluelight. The authorisation system based on rep/post count you suggest would never work, it would be too difficult to implement and there would always be those post whoring just to get access as soon as they could. Apart from that, post count means next to nothing, there are posters who have been on this site for many years who have a relatively small number of posts, they only tend to post when they have something relevant to say, compare that to some people who signed up a year or two ago and have more posts than me, but they tend to mostly post in DC and The Lounge where HR is not really a consideration.

Even without the drawbacks I have just stated, that decision is very far outside the scope of anything a moderator could make, such a change would have to be agreed upon and implemented by the numerous admins and owners of this site.

Last edited:
^ good points.

I was heading down that road, I think.

Leave as is, and feel free to bump whenever, but make it funny for my sake, I need a laugh every now and then.

You should at least sticky this.

Sticky fuckin +thin ffs.