• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australia: The new police state (Welcome to 1984)

MazDan said:
My disinterest stems from the fact that i am an intelligent human being and hence i am able to discern that i cannot possibly understand all the ins and outs without being fully in the know.

The best i could do would be to appear like i knew everything and then put shit on anyone who is actually in a position to do something who actually does have an idea of all the ins and outs

However I choose not to do that as I am intelligent enough to realise that all that achieves is nothing...........nothing at all.

So, I'm trying to follow your reasoning here. You justify disinterest by knowing that you ARE intelligent enough to grasp some of the situation, but because you as one human being can't know EVERYTHING there is to know about any given situation, you reduce yourself to passivity. Now THAT seems nonsensical.

MazDan said:
If you truly believe that what is happenning is not in our best interests, then I suggest you.........

1.Learn ALL there is to know, rather an impossibility without being in the right positions, I will admit.

Yeah we already established this one. But I should tell you that I think that your way of viewing the attaining as much of this knowledge as possible, just being a route to pressuring the people 'who know', is a bit disempowering.

MazDan said:
2. Dont believe everything you read in newspapers........personally having been in the game, I have learnt to appreciate the brilliant ramblings of a journo who has the ability to twist anything to make it appear something totally different without actually dramatically changing the facts.

What, I believe everything I read in the Australian, and the Daily Telegraph. That's why I SUPPORT this legislation. ;)

Thank you though, unfacetiously, for reminding us of this cardinal rule of skeptical intelligence, read everything you can, but do not believe everything you read.

MazDan said:
3. Start working to get yourself into a position where you can make a difference and help to make our society a happier and safer one for all to live in.

Okay. I'll get right onto that one. But is it okay to want to make the world a little happier and safer, instead of just one society, given that's kind of the basis of the whole problem anyway?

-plaz out-

I had a long spiel written out but have chosen to delete it all.

Suffice to say this........

You can carry on all you like, but the fact is that you will achieve nothing more than I who chooses to sit back and watch and maybe attempt to understand.

This is the last word I will have to say on this media beat up.

^^^ i know you're an intelligent guy mazdan, but that's just a crock of shit.

if everybody sat back and watched, then nothing would ever change. the very fact that some people are willing to stand up and voice their dissent changes the world every day.

when they herd us into "quarantine" camps to save us from bird flu, those with blind faith won't say we were right or ask why, they'll just ask for a toke.

I wonder if the German people ever questioned that they were doing the right thing when they were ripping teeth out of Jewish people's heads, at the command of the tyrant they supported into power.

This ain't a media beat up. It's an interview with Ruddock, straight from the horses mouth (arse) you might say. It's not that hard to interpret what he is saying and the implications that it has for the most supposedly sacred of our ideals; freedom; liberty.

lostpunk5545 said:
I wonder if the German people ever questioned that they were doing the right thing when they were ripping teeth out of Jewish people's heads, at the command of the tyrant they supported into power.

This ain't a media beat up. It's an interview with Ruddock, straight from the horses mouth (arse) you might say. It's not that hard to interpret what he is saying and the implications that it has for the most supposedly sacred of our ideals; freedom; liberty.

Hear hear!

What frightens me most about this legislation are the sedition laws. Not allowed to speak out against the government?????? For fucks's sake.

I think the legislation is frightening, sickening, and absolutely disgusting.

When I first heard the details of the proposed legislation it reminded me of how things started in Germany.

Normally, I'm a very conservative member of the public.

This is disgusting.

Dont forget the workplace reforms, they want you to work for cheaper too now.

Im rather worried about these anti-terror legistation. And I don't believe it will make Australia any safer. If a terrorist wants to attack us, these little laws wont stop him. These sorts of laws are being put in under the ruse of terrorism. Ever since sep11 everything the west does is under the ruse of terrorism. Then when everyone is bored with terrorism the laws will be altered slightly here and there until they include everyone. If i wanted to be a terrorist none of these laws would stop me...none. A back pack full of Acetone Peroxide and Ammonium Nitrate and il kill a few hundred at some sorta event. But im too nice :)

Noone notices the lights fadeing, until its dark.

The cynical side of me wonders whether this new legislation is designed to stop terrorists or the voice of dissent among the general populace.

^ i think your cynical side has a point :\

like strumpet, i'm normally pretty conservative socially - but this is just ridiculous, cutting off avenues for appeal et al for people who do fall victim (and yes, victimising would be an accurate assessment of some cases of the supposed implementation of these laws :|) to this legislation is scary, completely unnecessary and liable to do more harm than good IMO.

you've got to be joking? are we that gullible? for some reason the words reichstag and fire keep ticking over in my head

National terror threat revealed
By Paul Colgan and AAP
02-11-2005

John Howard / File
Evidence ... the PM said urgent action was needed / File

INTELLIGENCE agencies have received specific information about a terrorist threat to Australia which today prompted the Government to rush through its anti-terror laws to help avert a possible attack.
Prime Minister John Howard said intelligence agencies had received specific information about a terrorist threat and was urging Parliament to enact the laws within 36 hours.

"We have seen material," Mr Howard said. "It is a cause of concern."

The Prime Minister would not give details on the nature of the threat, citing security reasons.

"The Government is acting against the background of the assessment of intelligence agencies that a terrorist attack in Australia is feasible and could well occur," he said, referring to an ASIO report released yesterday.

"In ASIO's recently released annual report a warning is contained that specifically cites the threat of home-grown terrorism. ASIO also warned that attacks without warning are feasible," Mr Howard said.

The amendment will add further grounds for listing militant organisations and "will clarify that it is not necessary for the prosecution to identify a specific terrorist act."

National security editor of The Australian, Patrick Walters, said Mr Howard's statement pointed to "an imminent threat to Australians".

"We know that ASIO and the AFP have been monitoring a number of people considered high security risks for a long period of time," Walters said. "But clearly this takes things to a new level."

The requirement for urgent laws, Walters said, "indicates (the Government) has far more precise intelligence relating to a group or an individual wanting to carry out a terrorist attack".

Part of the new anti-terror laws will be introduced to Parliament today and the Senate is to be recalled.

Mr Howard said he had briefed Opposition Leader Kim Beazley and Opposition homeland security spokesman Arch Bevis.

"After question time today, the Attorney-General will introduce into the House an urgent amendment to the existing counter terrorism legislation," Mr Howard said.

"We will seek passage of that amendment through all stages this evening.

"The President of the Senate will recall the Senate to meet tomorrow afternoon at 2pm and it's the Government's wish that this amendment be passed into law as soon as possible."

Mr Howard said he had not yet received any information that would require a change in the general terror threat level for Australia.

"If we received advice to that effect, which we have not received, we would respond appropriately to that advice," he said.

Mr Howard said he could not comment further about the information he received and would not say whether the intelligence advice had come from Australian or other authorities.

"We have been given advice that if this amendment is enacted as soon as possible the capacity of the authorities to respond will be strengthened.

"And I am satisfied on what I have been told, and the Government and the national security ministers in Cabinet are satisfied, that that is the case but I do not intend and cannot and will not go into any of the operational details."

More to come...

why is it everytime i see a story regarding terrorism on television or in the print media the accompanying photo or video is of the tactical response/swat/whatever the fuck they're called aussie cops? ;)

Same shit like when Bush introduced new anti-terror laws in the US, he went public with another warning. Just like howard is doing now.

I think its pretty fucked as well that Howard wont give any information out on the threat. As australians/people living in australia, we pay our tax, support the country and in return we expect support back from the government. I think we have a right to know if a bomb is going to go off somewhere. I still dont understand why Howard wont say for security reasons. You would think that if details were publicised the 'terrorists' would most likely not go through with it. But then again I think this threat is a crook of shit.

The great Bush empire. cunts

yesterday....Melbourne Cup...
:)
today...NEW TERRORIST THREAT REQURING NEW LAWS...
:(
today...new industrial relations laws that will affect everyone far and above any terrorist will ever affect your daily life....
:|
welcome to our new senate...
8(

The government feels the new anti-terrorism laws have to be passed straight away.Because a new threat has come to light.So,why has the ' official terrorism alert level' NOT been risen?

Anything to do with the government frightening the public into supporting these laws and trying to justify them becoming law.

That's right,we have become more of a terrorist attack since we decided to be a part of the 'invasion of Iraq'.Suddenly,the government says there is an even bigger threat NOW,and a certain threat that these new laws will stop,WHAT TIMING!!!!!!!!!!! 8o

So,is this information,so creditable,like those 'Weapons Of Mass Destruction' in Iraq :p .

silvia saint said:
why is it everytime i see a story regarding terrorism on television or in the print media the accompanying photo or video is of the tactical response/swat/whatever the fuck they're called aussie cops? ;)

Because Howard wasted so much of our fucking money training them that he has to make people feel it is justified.

FUCKING CLOWN!

New terrorist threat ay? The only thing you are in danger of Mr. Howard is being crucified on Parliament House lawn by a public that has had it up to fucking here with your bullshit.

In dynastic China the people had a right to revolt if they felt they had been lied to or their leaders had been making bad decisions. This is definitely something that should be implemented into present day democracy. In the words of the democrats it'd "Keep the bastards honest!".

There's nothing democratic about voting for the next person to rape you for four years. We need an option for abortion mid-term.

Its all a grand conspiracy to take away our liberties and wreak unimaginable pain and torture upon us good & free people of Australia. They're taking us down from the inside the slimy bastards! We can't stay here anymore, this bat country now. If we're ever going to get out of here alive, we're going to need some golf shoes. We must fight back, to the Batmobile!

Last edited: